Author Topic: Ep. 421 "Daybreak: Part 1" Discussion (SPOILERS)  (Read 11066 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Ep. 421 "Daybreak: Part 1" Discussion (SPOILERS)
Frak it, soon all will revelaed...

Given that we still have a prequel called The Plan to look forward to I wouldn't be 100% certain of that.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline iamzack

On that note, the one part of the episode that really jumped out at me was Kara's fiddling around with matching the music up to numbers. Music has commonly been described as very mathematical, and I can't help but wonder if she's on to something. So, my theory is this: the music is actually an encryption, and it contains a very important mathematical message, perhaps the equation to life itself.

An octave has eight notes, but the eighth is really just the first note twice as high in pitch. On a piano, that means the eighth string is half as long as the first. So the eight main notes I guess could be like A=1, B=13/14, C=6/7, D=11/14, E=5/7, F=9/14, G=4/7, A2=1/2, and so on... And then you get into flats and sharps which are more incremental-ish.

And then I suppose there's the length of the notes themselves, and the rests. 1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, etc...

Complicated. XP
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Wonder if we will actually get abit of happiness in this show for once,
kind of feel good factor like when Apollo blew up the Cylon mine followed by the song "Wander My Friends" in season one....

That's not really Ron Moore's style...the only reason we got that feel good episode was because the network was whining that the show was too depressing and he had to have something cheery or else they'd lose viewers.

Offline iamzack

he had to have something cheery or else they'd lose viewers.

They didn't realize the show's fans are all masochists anyway.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline odo2063

don't forget, we have lost kara ones and we got her back with a rand new viper. and baltar said "those who are not afraid to die will live forever"(or something like that). so we could say the volunteers are not afraid to die. so we have the chance that they will be "reborn" and that we will get out of this with a brand new galactica.(she's a battlestar. she's never afraid of dying!)

BTW. i still miss the ships of light from TOS. or what comes next to your mind when you think of head 6, head baltar and the "enlightened" persons in the temple?

just my 2 €-cent

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
I do hope there is a positive ending in there somewhere. Even if its a bittersweet ending...some sort of happiness is deserved.  I'd prefer it not to be a total tragedy.

Also I've said it before but a massive space battle to end all space battles would be excellent :)
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Rainman

Hey anyone remember how Adama said that Anders had given them the coordinates to locate the colony? Anyone know how that happened? Did it have to do with the song?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Hey anyone remember how Adama said that Anders had given them the coordinates to locate the colony? Anyone know how that happened? Did it have to do with the song?

I don't think it was the song. Adama and Starbuck just asked him.

Offline Fish

• Nugget
Yeah, that seemed a bit funny. I thought the point of Cavill moving the colony was that the other cylons wouldn't be able to find it now? Sweet spot he found, anyway :P

But, as for the epic rescue plan/suicide, I'm confused. Is Galactica going into her biggest battle after having been stripped down? It seems that the most likely course for the battle to take would be for Galactica to jump in, break in half, then Cavill's forces to nuke the debris into dust and sweep it into the black hole.
<><

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah, that seemed a bit funny. I thought the point of Cavill moving the colony was that the other cylons wouldn't be able to find it now? Sweet spot he found, anyway :P

But, as for the epic rescue plan/suicide, I'm confused. Is Galactica going into her biggest battle after having been stripped down? It seems that the most likely course for the battle to take would be for Galactica to jump in, break in half, then Cavill's forces to nuke the debris into dust and sweep it into the black hole.

Odds are (from the preview) they'll be close enough to the Colony to effect a boarding action -- literally ram the old girl right into the target. Remember, they're jumping in just one klick away, maybe less (don't recall.)

Offline iamzack

Ooh! Maybe since they're gonna be right there on a black hole, we'll get to see some spaghettification!

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
I'm not really seeing how they can pull this off. The Galactica isn't even space worthy at this point, let alone combat ready. The baseship is the only viable capital ship left, but I think it will likely be left behind to protect the fleet.

I'm also not getting how this is the end of humanity, the civilian fleet will be left out of danger for this and should find a new home soon.   
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I'm not really seeing how they can pull this off. The Galactica isn't even space worthy at this point, let alone combat ready. The baseship is the only viable capital ship left, but I think it will likely be left behind to protect the fleet.

I'm also not getting how this is the end of humanity, the civilian fleet will be left out of danger for this and should find a new home soon.   

Unless Baltar is guided to enact the mass suicide/'crossing over' of the human race. Read the foreshadowing!

Offline iamzack

Space kool-aid. What every sci-fi tv series needs.

It looks like most of the government and a good chunk of the military is going. Humanity will likely have a difficult time of it without all the main characters.

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
I'm going to have to agree with some previous hypothesis. Baltar said that those who could face death would truly live forever. The people who chose not to volunteer may evacuate to other ships; while the Galactica and the Basestar (with several thousand volunteers) jump in, own the Colony, then go through the black hole and crash on Kobol in the past.

All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again. 
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline TESLA

• 1.21 gigawatts!
Im wondering if 'sean alison' the guy who killed Roslin's sisters really Adama??? Or Tigh?
In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced
to talk to God.

There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Im wondering if 'sean alison' the guy who killed Roslin's sisters really Adama??? Or Tigh?

Do we know that was Sean Allison? The drunk driver in the crash?

Offline jsadighi

• Macross Message Massacre
Baltar not volunteering for the suicide mission makes perfect sense. Its been established that he's a self serving weasel. With Adama, Tigh, Lee, Starbuck, Roslin, Helo, and the rest of the final five, all gone and out of the way, there will be no one to challenge Baltar for leadership of the fleet. If anything the REAL opportunity is to NOT volunteer.

Offline iamzack

I'm going to have to agree with some previous hypothesis. Baltar said that those who could face death would truly live forever. The people who chose not to volunteer may evacuate to other ships; while the Galactica and the Basestar (with several thousand volunteers) jump in, own the Colony, then go through the black hole and crash on Kobol in the past.

All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again. 

That didn't look like several thousand volunteers...

I hope the black hole doesn't create time travel, though. XP

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
I hope the black hole doesn't create time travel, though. XP

Yeah, a temporal cop out would be quite annoying.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key