Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 15464 times)

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
*Imagines a Sanctus or Hyperion being attacked by a Mentu, lolbachs a'blazing.

Yeah, no. The Zods would definitely have better cruisers by then, right?

Right?!

EDIT: I know cruisers are basically being phased out, but it stands to reason they'd have some type of light combatant.

Wasn't there an Aten in the final cutscene of WiH p1?  :wtf:
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I say again, think Aeolus or Hyperion here, especially the Hyperion. Those SBlues aren't incredibly powerful, but they're enough to kill a cruiser quite quickly (Forced Entry)
After so many playthroughs of FE, I have yet to see anything else than the Labouchère and the Téméraire kill a cruiser...
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline -Norbert-

*Imagines a Sanctus or Hyperion being attacked by a Mentu, lolbachs a'blazing.

Yeah, no. The Zods would definitely have better cruisers by then, right?

Right?!

EDIT: I know cruisers are basically being phased out, but it stands to reason they'd have some type of light combatant.
Wasn't there an Aten in the final cutscene of WiH p1?  :wtf:
But who can tell what they are used for now. Maybe they use them as heavy freighters or APCs or AWACS or who knows what now. Or it could even be a new ships that only looks like an Aten (in-universe anyway. I'm pretty sure in FRED it is a normal Aten).

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
IIRC the BP team said they were used as Pulse gunboats.

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I wonder why they wouldn't refit the Mentus rather than the Atens though... although I guess the Tevs did keep the Leviathons around as picket ships so the Atens may fill a similar role... in a flimsy fashion  :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Cruisers have always been useless in the anti-cap role (at least for everyone that isn't Shivan). In a sense, the Zods deigned their cruisers correctly : no big, energy-hungry useless SGreens/SBlues.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Cruisers have always been useless in the anti-cap role (at least for everyone that isn't Shivan). In a sense, the Zods deigned their cruisers correctly : no big, energy-hungry useless SGreens/SBlues.
Bad thing is the Mentu has fairly bad turret coverage and poorly placed turrets. It's only got three turrets on the bottom, for example.

The Aeolus is better at both anticapital and antifighter because of good turret placement and coverage.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
The Mentu would be a pretty good cruiser if the AI were smart enough to roll to bring its weapons to bear instead of sitting at whatever orientation it happens to be at when attacked.
And if it actually had any weapons to bear.
It has three flaks and 3 AAAs. And its anti-warship beam armament isn't all that much less effective than what you'd find on a Terran cruiser.
Implying the Mentu even has capital-grade beams when it actually doesn't.

The Mentu would be a pretty good cruiser if the AI were smart enough to roll to bring its weapons to bear instead of sitting at whatever orientation it happens to be at when attacked.
And if it actually had any weapons to bear.
It has three flaks and 3 AAAs. And its anti-warship beam armament isn't all that much less effective than what you'd find on a Terran cruiser.
Implying the Mentu even has capital-grade beams when it actually doesn't.

That would be the joke.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I wonder why they wouldn't refit the Mentus rather than the Atens though... although I guess the Tevs did keep the Leviathons around as picket ships so the Atens may fill a similar role... in a flimsy fashion  :)
It's cheaper. The Aten by now is most likely an upgraded (including armor and engines and all that jazz) version of the old while being extremely cheap and mass produceable.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
It's a piss-poor joke then since if they did have even a single SVas they'd be outperforming the Fenris and Leviathan two-fold.
Not to mention the Fusion Mortar isn't terribly bad either, it'll destroy damaged targets if you allow the Cruiser to keep firing.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 09:10:23 am by Commander Zane »

Offline fearsom

Id open up a direct line to Khonsu and say "We are in contact with higher beings. Stop helping those warmongers." Should have a positive effect considering Vasudan mysticism.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Id open up a direct line to Khonsu and say "We are in contact with higher beings. Stop helping those warmongers." Should have a positive effect considering Vasudan mysticism.

Assumes Vasudan Mysticism is the same as human Mysticism. Assumes Vasudans would listen.

Also, please do not bump old topics.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Aesaar

And what if the higher beings are lying to the UEF?  What if the GTVA has a better idea of what they really intend?

Offline crizza

Just edit a retail mission where a Mentu appears and swap it with the version which has a SVas...kicks ass ;)

Offline CT27

Here's my thread that discusses strategy ideas for the GTVA:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=79335.0

Building a Sanctus, Karuna, Narayana, or Solaris takes a long time; this isn't WW2 where build times for new warships were on the order of a few months.

Out of curiosity, why is that (not counting the Solaris for obvious reasons)? Not 'a few months', but something along the lines of 6-12? In wartime, with warship construction being a (or one of) top priority, what about the dynamic enforces a significantly longer warship construction time with 24th century technology and abundant infrastructure (before Darkest Hour, of course)? Even with regards to the Sanctus, which is both an older, more common, and simpler design that was geared towards cost-efficiency and ease of construction in the first place?

For ships the size of the Narayana and up (roughly speaking), it's definitely understandable that the required time for constructing it and the scale of its construction would make it too vulnerable and static a target to be practical after a certain point in the war.  But even for cruisers? Outside of the particulars of this war making most of the UEF's infrastructure unusually vulnerable, what part (or parts) of the process holds up the others?
Delenda Est delenda est.

(Yay gratuitous Latin.)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Building Cruisers only makes sense if those Cruisers would be more than target practice.

Also, if most of the shipyards that could build military vessels are occupied with either repairing ships or refitting them (Remember, the Narayana-class didn't start the war as an Artillery vessel; At least some of them had to be fitted with railguns first), then building new vessels may just not be possible or feasible.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I'm pretty sure there's some new warship construction underway even to this point in the war.

Offline QuakeIV

• test
To go along with the initial purpose of the thread;

If I were in the UEF's shoes at the end of the latest War in Heaven installment, I would likely replace Byrne and fold third fleets assets into second fleet while making Calder subordinate to Netreba.  The Martian and Jovian fleets had been doing an admirable job in my opinion however the Jovian fleet was well slaughtered by the end of the latest installment and the benefits of operating independently would likely be limited.  Byrne's definition of a 'defensive posture' seemed to amount to effectively ignoring all calls for reinforcement outside of the orbit of the moon until the last second, which so far as I can tell led to a lot of avoidable territorial/space asset losses.  At that point the policy would just be hold out until the secret project finally comes out of the oven.

If I were in the GTVA's shoes I would find a way to dump as many fleet assets into the Solar theater as possible to get the war over with already.  Sure it would be 'risky' since they would probably run out of supplies eventually due to the Sol gates limited capacity (IIRC anyhow) however at that point they could simply directly attack everything at once and end the war fairly promptly.  The UEF would simply be saturated with full scale attacks on all of their fleet assets since so many of their ships had already been destroyed.  If the UEF managed to survive somehow then so much of their fleet would be annihilated that the depleted GTVA reinforcement ships could simply stroll out of the system at a leisurely pace while Steele's assets covered their withdrawal.

Thats what I'd do anyways.  Obviously this could be completely infeasible since I don't have access to all of the relevant information regarding the capabilities of the Sol gate, the GTVA fleet, the UEF fleet, its project, or political opposition to sending several additional GTVA destroyer groups on a little outing.

edited for clarity
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 12:08:04 am by QuakeIV »