Author Topic: New Eyecandy Thread  (Read 844274 times)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
'low quality models'
Well that's the heart of the problem, isn't it? They're great models, it's just such a shame there's no way to figure that out without seeing them untextured...
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Well people could volunteer to fix that :p

Offline mr.WHO

Umh...guys...You can texture eveything with bright pink texture - I don't give a ****. I wait for this mod over 10 years, so I'd actualy like to live to the moment it will be released and I will play it even if it will be total crap that will make me cry.

We got spoiled by ultra high quality models of Blue Planet, but Inferno still got a very special place in our hearts and we will love it even it it's slightly retaded.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Well from my perspective, it's better to just release something and then you can work your way to the top from there. That would make the release with or without uv'd models irrelevant for a first step.

If you just keep working but never get something out the team loses involvement and interest (well that's true for me at least, looking at you AG). What drives me to the goal is the fact that all that work will someday be enjoyed/reviewed/rejected by our peers.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
I support the INF team's decisions.  :yes: Good missions (and releasing within the next decade) are more important than having all-HTL models.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Unless you're going to volunteer to texture stuff, I'm going to kindly request that you all stop the whining about the tile-maps, because you're just wasting everyone's time with the mindless drivel.

The issue, as has been stated before and I will state again, is more of we don't have anyone who is willing/capable of pulling off high-quality textures for the said centerpiece ships, and thus in the interests of having something to stick in the mission so FREDding can be completed, there be tilemaps. As opposed to waiting 4 years for someone to volunteer, then another 2-3 months per ship, THEN working on missions. Sure, we could just assign a bright pink texture to everything for the same purpose, but if everything else is done except the UVmap/textures, I would believe that the preferable option is to get a playable campaign out and then patch in drop-in replacements later than to hold back release for perfecting assets.

What I don't quite understand is why we're showing off these placeholder tilemap models as eyecandy like they're something amazing...they'll probably still be like this in release but more of because we don't really have a choice if we actually have a realistic chance of making release sometime within the next 6 months. The other alternative is to UVmap them, slap on an AO bake and leave them untextured grey 'clay' ships.

I'm normally completely against tilerape myself, but really I see no other option unless we have someone willing to volunteer as a texture artist.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
That's the plan. We plan to release with the tilemapped ships, continue the development of R2 models and then see what we can do from there. Course with the assets in the public domain we may also get people from outside the team willing to work on them and provide them publically and we can add them in an official patch.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'm seriously contemplating whether "profoundly stupid opinions" are legitimate grounds to toss out some warnings...or whether I should do it anyway even if they aren't.

Look: there is only so much that a volunteer team can do.  Inferno has been a work in progress for over a decade, and we're finally on the verge of seeing the definitive version.  I would far rather have a tilemapped release sometime in 2014 than sit around until 2017 waiting for a UVed release, and I'm sure that the vast majority of the community shares my opinion.  If tilemapped ships really bug you so much, then help the team out and put out some UV maps.  If you're not willing to do that, then shut it.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
What I don't quite understand is why we're showing off these placeholder tilemap models as eyecandy like they're something amazing...
^ This

The other alternative is to UVmap them, slap on an AO bake and leave them untextured grey 'clay' ships.
And yes, that would definitely be a better alternative.

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
What I don't quite understand is why we're showing off these placeholder tilemap models as eyecandy like they're something amazing...
Cause we wouldn't have an eyecandy thread if we didn't? Then people would think the project is dead cause we wouldn't have anything to show.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
And yes, that would definitely be a better alternative.
In what bizarre mirror universe would all-gray ships be "better"?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
The universe in which the pictures in this thread exist, unfortunately.

Also, there's a huge difference between "all-gray" and AO-bake.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Well I already asked my staff if we could bake them before launch and they don't think they'll have enough time to do so. Unless we want to further delay the mod release and we're already way overdue since our planned release was July.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
The universe in which the pictures in this thread exist, unfortunately.
If tilemapped ships really bug you so much, then help the team out and put out some UV maps.  If you're not willing to do that, then shut it.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I quite like how the Bastion looks right now, even dressed in tiles :P. When we do something big, like the Bastion that took me a few days to finish the it, I really want share the result and see if people like it or have some suggestions how to make it prettier. Dozens of comments from various tilehaters are not helping me or anyone else improving current model, especialy when we all discussed about tilemapping co many freakin' times.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Lorric

We got spoiled by ultra high quality models of Blue Planet
Interestingly, the four people who complained all have a Blue Planet badge of some type.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Thanks your constructive criticism. I'm pretty sure smoothing every sharp edge in Bastion would make it prettier.
That bit is disingenuous in its entirety, not a single one of my ships is as smooth as the Bastion. Try again. :P

I quite like how the Bastion looks right now, even dressed in tiles :P. When we do something big, like the Bastion that took me a few days to finish the it, I really want share the result and see if people like it or have some suggestions how to make it prettier. Dozens of comments from various tilehaters are not helping me or anyone else improving current model, especialy when we all discussed about tilemapping co many freakin' times.
Alright, let's talk about how to improve the tiling itself: The tiles used on it look awful. They're busy and don't compliment the detailing, which is something that tiles CAN be done to do. There's too many glowing bits. And it does actually just look like said tiles were slapped onto the Bastion with little thought. These problems all compound to wash out the mesh details and make the entire thing look bland and weird.

First step: Throw out the awful tiles you used. Seriously, that one window texture from the Deimos gets too much and all of the textures on the Bastion as of now don't actually compliment the model. The glowing bits are too much, they make it look like a rave party in space!

Second step: Use color it based on height. Sort of like so:

The idea here is to help bring out detailing by colorcoding height to help the mind understand the geometry better. Also try to use slightly different colors or shades to differentiate parts. The Orion is a good example of this (retail, not Bob's). You can't do this with the same texture, though. Slapping on the same texture on a slightly different height and shading it slightly different doesn't work because it's still the same tile and thus still washes out detail.

Third step: Reduce the tiling factor. Even the new Typhon's texture job has this issue, the tiles tile a bit too much, washing out the detail of the texture and making the hull it's applied to feel a bit too homogeneous.

And no, I don't hate tiling just to hate tiling. While UVMapping is better, I understand that Inferno may not have the means to have many things uvmapped. It's more when tiling is done poorly, like (and I mean no offense) here.

We got spoiled by ultra high quality models of Blue Planet
Interestingly, the four people who complained all have a Blue Planet badge of some type.
I don't have a BP badge. I have a BP Multi badge which is very, very loosely related to BP. Come fight me nerd
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 06:56:02 pm by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Lorric

I don't have a BP badge. I have a BP Multi badge which is very, very loosely related to BP. Come fight me nerd
:rolleyes:

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Hades' last post is good post.  Mongoose like good post. :yes:

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
If Spoon uses badly optimized and low poly models, he can get away with it because he was creating an entire campaign by himself. If Inferno team uses high-poly models with tile-mapped textures, they get criticized because there are two people in the team. :|

Why the Inferno hate? Is this not essentially the same route that BP WiH Part 1 took initially, or is the difference between multiple inefficient maps that sometimes looked tilemapped different from true tilemapping?

Sometimes I feel that the criticism for Inferno is out of principle for what it stands for rather than for any legitimate reasons.