Author Topic: RELEASE: Teeth of the Tiger, Intro  (Read 20254 times)

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Re: RELEASE: Teeth of the Tiger, Intro
It would be a lot nicer if you put a Nav Buoy where the freighters jump in...
When you go hunting Shivans 5 clicks out you tend to lose your position.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Why does keeping your position even matter?  In space, everything is relative.  And no matter where you are, once the convoy jumps in, you've got plenty of time to get to it before the Shivans start jumping in.

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
The Good
Spoiler:
Overall, the GTVA comes off as remarkably competent compared to many campaigns; take for example and the deployment of ships in the second mission, particularly the Aeolus snuggling up to the Orion for extra fire support. They also sound reasonably professional in briefings, reinforcements are available to assist when things go bad, they have a backup plan, etc. The FREDding is high quality, overall. Use of what I assume was special hitpoints was well-played.
My Good.

The Bad
Spoiler:
Infatuation with default gun loadouts and giving the NPC pilots banks of trebs they don't know how to use properly, is a no-no. Similarly, there was no AWOL debriefing for the second mission, and probably the others; however I know there was no AWOL debriefing for the second because I tried to skip it via repeated warpouts at the start.

The intel files were not updated, nor was the ships available in the techroom. A lot of campaigns do this, and it's always stupid and annoying.

The writing was decent, but could have used more editing. I also noticed at least one major violation of the FS canon, in that it takes an Orion's worth of meson bombs to collapse a node, not a single one!
My Bad
The Ugly
Spoiler:
Referencing Another One Bites The Dust is silly. It's 2300-something. I doubt there's even a surviving recording. The in-mission dialogue was frequently awkward and occasionally non-sequitor. And the Lamia looks like an Ancients ship now, not Shivan...and yes, it is literally ugly.
Mostly my bad.
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Naaah, don't be so hard on yourself Retsof, after all I gave the green light.

Since a few people complained about
Spoiler:
purple glows
Here's a question:
Spoiler:
What color would you want? They could be any color, including: >samples<

We're debating about it on the super-secret forum, and have not yet agreed on anything.

P.S. How did the Lucifer's death compare to a Meson bomb, in terms of destructive power, as far as node collapsing is concerned?[/color]
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Yellow or pink please.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
P.S. How did the Lucifer's death compare to a Meson bomb, in terms of destructive power, as far as node collapsing is concerned?

Many times worse. The Command Briefings about the plan to collapse the Capella nodes suggest that the explosion of the Bastion (with its twenty-odd meson bombs aboard) is expected to be less powerful than the explosion of the Lucifer, but the GTVA believes it will still be sufficent to do the job.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Droid803

Didn't the Bastion have five only? (well, the picture in the CBani only shows 5)
(´・ω・`)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Didn't the Bastion have five only? (well, the picture in the CBani only shows 5)
Err. Look closely. Each of those 5 red blobs is actually a cluster of 12 Meson bombs. Each. :P

Offline Droid803

Oh then.
That's sixty, and its still weaker than the Lucifer blowing up.
One meson bomb won't do **** to a node then. Ready the Triton fleet.
(´・ω・`)

Offline blowfish

its still weaker than the Lucifer blowing up.

Says who? :wtf:

Offline Ziame

• ED ftw
its still weaker than the Lucifer blowing up.

Says who? :wtf:
P.S. How did the Lucifer's death compare to a Meson bomb, in terms of destructive power, as far as node collapsing is concerned?

Many times worse. The Command Briefings about the plan to collapse the Capella nodes suggest that the explosion of the Bastion (with its twenty-odd meson bombs aboard) is expected to be less powerful than the explosion of the Lucifer, but the GTVA believes it will still be sufficent to do the job.
Rabbinic Judaism had a good start with the Old Testament but kinda missed the point about 2000 years ago

ALL HAIL HERRA
/fan of BlackHole

Offline blowfish

Give me specific quotes from command briefs and then I'll believe it.  After reading the command brief from "Their Finest Hour", the main concerns seemed to be that the Shivans might be able to jump without nodes, and that they really didn't know exactly how big the Lucifer's explosion was.  In fact, I suspect that they would have used more meson warheads than they thought they would need, just to be sure as this was a critical operation.

Err. Look closely. Each of those 5 red blobs is actually a cluster of 12 Meson bombs. Each. :P

Alright, screenshots or it didn't happen :p

Simple FREDding says that 16 TC-Meson bombs would fit inside an Orion, but 60 wouldn't.

BTW- is there canon evidence that the bombs on the Bastion were the same size as the TC-Meson bomb's bomb? Because if there were in fact 60, they'd have to be much smaller than the TC.

It takes 2-3 TC-Meson Bombs to kill a Knossos, and that was our base to think 1 could be enough change a node into a "disturbance" that will not allow anything to travel through.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Alright, screenshots or it didn't happen :p
Alrighty then.

That's one.

The groups, consisting of multiple Meson Bombs.
A closeup of an individual MB is shown.

The rows/columns can be seen here.

BTW- is there canon evidence that the bombs on the Bastion were the same size as the TC-Meson bomb's bomb? Because if there were in fact 60, they'd have to be much smaller than the TC.
Yeah, TBH I think the Meson bombs packed onto the Bastion and Nereid were watered down (or downsized variants). Judging mainly from the fact the ones shown in the cutscene are much smaller than the TC-Meson Bomb.

Offline blowfish

Well, I doubt they would have included the container into the warheads put on the Bastion.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Given that it had been less than a month since the Meson Bomb was completed I doubt they'd have that many already in production. IMO the Meson Bombs on the Bastion and Nereid were probably faster production models or something.

Offline TacOne

• Dabbling Modder
Well, you wouldn't have to put them in triton compatible transport units, for one.

Well, the one used in the campaign is advanced meson technology.

And heres a screenshot of the new Higher Shivans, along with their weps (Will I ever learn? Not until i'm done being bored over vacation)

Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
RAINBOW SHIVANS! :shaking:

I'll use the situation to the fullest:

Maybe purple ain't so bad after all?

And if it is, I could even make a poll thread in the modding section to see which color is the most popular, and recolor the appropriate unit(s).

As for the Meson bombs...:

The front cluster (from THT 1 to THT 2 on the top) that had 18 bombs:

3x3x2=18

Maybe 6 of the TC-Mesons would fit. Still more than I thought, especially since there are a few more of those clusters (I'll try to count them all when I'll have the time), but they could be going overkill, or the smaller bombs were quickly done and of poor yeld.