Author Topic: [Release - Hit Indicator; Reload Gauge] Various Ideas for HUD Scripts  (Read 7803 times)

[Release - Hit Indicator; Reload Gauge] Various Ideas for HUD Scripts
Just a few ideas.  I'll probably try to implement them, at some point in time. 

1.  Hit indicator

Draws an "x" over the reticle when your weapons hit something, and a circle when you make a kill. 
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/215663/EMP%20Transfer/Scripts/Hit%20Indicator.zip

2.  Reload Gauge

Draws a ring around the crosshairs as a weapon reloads.  Currently works for primaries and secondaries, but doesn't (yet) take into account burst, cycle, or linked firewait.  Planning on using different user configurable colors for each weaponbank. 
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/215663/EMP%20Transfer/Scripts/ReloadGauges.zip

3.  Autoaim rings/fov rings.  Sorta like in Ace Combat Assault Horizon (http://youtu.be/N2JuPVWCzsA?t=23s), where there's a ring that surrounds either your autoaim radius, or the fov of your particular weapon (would have to scale for target range). 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 09:23:23 am by BlasterNT »

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Re: Various Ideas for HUD Scripts
Uhm, do we really need a hit indicator?

Anyway, speaking of gauges, I would really like to see an option that enables those interested to switch from hull and shield integrity percentages to gauges. Sometimes things are too expectable! For example if a Cyclops deals 4% damage to a given ship and that ship has 16% hull integrity left, you know for sure that four torps would take the ship out. With gauges it's still possible to estimate how much torps are necessary to destroy a ship, but you'd have that degree of uncertainty that IMO makes the battle more interesting and unpredictable.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Re: Various Ideas for HUD Scripts
I'd like to see a hit indicator mainly so that you can fire long range missiles (like Trebs), and see if they hit, even if you've switched targets. 

I rather like the gauges idea.  I bet you could use a modified +Hardpoints gauge that changed color based on hull integrity, sorta like MechWarrior, for that purpose. 

Re: [Release - Hit Indicator] Various Ideas for HUD Scripts
Updated first post with hit indicator download.  My first script!

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
2.  Some kind of reloading gauge, for long firing weapons (by the way, is there a way to have a reload time of over 5 seconds for primaries?). 

I think as of 3.6.14 primary firewaits of greater than 5 secs should work.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Awesome.  Somebody update the wiki?

Offline Apollo

• Free Market Fascist
I like the idea of a hit indicator. It adds immersion.
Current Project - Eos: The Coward's Blade. Coming Soon (hopefully.)

Re: [Release - Hit Indicator; Reload Gauge] Various Ideas for HUD Scripts
Updated first post with optimized hit indicator script, and reload gauge script. 

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo

How do avionics per-se add immersion? Anything on a HUD is the visual output from the spacecraft's computer systems, which may or may not have the sensor capacity to assess if a weapon actually hit.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Apollo

• Free Market Fascist

How do avionics per-se add immersion? Anything on a HUD is the visual output from the spacecraft's computer systems, which may or may not have the sensor capacity to assess if a weapon actually hit.

Because it creates a greater sense of interactivity, and therefore feels more like piloting an actual fighter.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Because it creates a greater sense of interactivity, and therefore feels more like piloting an actual fighter.

That doesn't make any sense at all - your first clause doesn't seem logically connected to your second. Thaeris' point stands. Interactivity is not a trait of piloting an actual fighter: possessing the avionics capabilities of an actual fighter is a trait of piloting an actual fighter.

Pk gauges for various missiles would be kinda cool though.

The script could be fairly easily modified to achieve such.   

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter

That doesn't make any sense at all - your first clause doesn't seem logically connected to your second. Thaeris' point stands. Interactivity is not a trait of piloting an actual fighter: possessing the avionics capabilities of an actual fighter is a trait of piloting an actual fighter.

I.. wut.. why are you guys arguing about this... and Battuta, why do you seem to be contradicting people habitually in threads all over. Positivity man. Let people have some fun!
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Apollo

• Free Market Fascist

It might not literally resemble piloting a fighter, but for me it feels that way. That's the only justification I need.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I don't think hitmarkers are a bad idea (I kinda like them even in modern FPS games where they're a bit overplayed), I just think his reasoning is silly.

I gotta contradict people to release the rage fueled by constantly reading debug logs.

Ohh that's what they're called..  derp

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I don't think hitmarkers are a bad idea (I kinda like them even in modern FPS games where they're a bit overplayed), I just think his reasoning is silly.

I gotta contradict people to release the rage fueled by constantly reading debug logs.

Yeah ok.. fine.. That's actually legit.  :)
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
that reload gauge is rather awesome
it's going to be used! great work
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline coffeesoft

• Bip Bip
Let´s try, thanks   :yes:

Offline wistler

The Hit Indicator is sweet and works real well, apart from when you shoot asteroids.

The game crashes and I get this error message
Code: [Select]
Could not find index 'Killer' in type 'HookVariables'

------------------------------------------------------------------
ADE Debug:
Name: (null)
Name of: (null)
Function type: (null)
Defined on: 0
Upvalues: 0

Source: (null)
Short source:
Current line: 0
- Function line: 0

stack traceback:
[C]: ?
[string "hitindicator-sct.tbm - On Death"]:1: in main chunk

1: Userdata [HookVariables]
2: String [Killer]

Is there a way for it not to take asteroids into account?