Author Topic: Curiosity with the old MOD  (Read 16912 times)

Re: Curiosity with the old MOD
I'm scratching my head wondering if this really is the cockpit from the set?
It has a MkVII in the screen view.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline newman

The stealthstar used a redress of the mk7 one. The one on the pic has some panels removed, but they were on in the show. By the way, you do know we don't accept models only, right? It needs to be uvw mapped and textured well to qualify.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Yes Newman, Thanks. I gathered that from the previous posts.
I used Lithunwrap and Paint Shop Pro last time I made a ship.
Glow mapping I need to work on.
It's been awhile, but I still have the tools.
I used Deep Exploration for most of my conversions to COB then PCS2 for the final POF.
Units were a troubling issue I'll have to revisit.
2048x2048 is the current texture map quality size correct?
Not sure how in depth I am going to get with the cockpit though.
That MkVII you got is awesome.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 12:30:51 pm by KewlToyZ »

Offline newman

The high detail cockpit seen from the player's perspective is a separate model. We have a low detail one embedded in a fighter model for viewing from the outside. Making a high detail one is an insane amount of work so if you're working on a fighter I'd suggest not doing the high detail cockpit as well before you're done. For all intents and purposes doing a cockpit is basically a separate project.
2048x2048 is a good resolution to be working in for this.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 02:06:19 pm by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

It's coming along, I think I'm a little bit fat, need to streamline it a bit more.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 11:10:57 pm by KewlToyZ »

There I got it on a diet.

Week 2, so many voids and negative return angles I have to guess then look at odd angles and remake lol!
But I'm plodding along with it still. I want it too look as close as possible.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Not bad. Keep in mind its the textures that will make or break it.

Remember to model the KEWS under the wings :) They look pretty similar to the standard MKVII ones.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 02:11:40 am by Ace »
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline newman

Not bad.

Damn I hate saying this, but I have to disagree. All I can say is, Kewltoyz keep at it and practice.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 02:58:39 am by newman »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yep, it's not up to our standards.

But practice makes perfect.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Thanks guys.
I haven't started texturing yet. I'm just using some color materials as I go.
Doesn't pay to texture until the geometry is on the money.
So far, The top inlet still isn't right. Trying to follow the shadows ends up non planar.
I just reworked that again. Still not happy. Now I work strictly surfaces until I get the geometry.
Once everything matches up at the seams, I'll mesh it and UV it.
I still have the rear section, both bottom inlets and the entire undercarriage to work in yet.
Every image I have of it, the shadows throw me off where the geometry really goes as well as how they connect.
A lot of trial and error trying to figure it out.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 03:24:03 am by KewlToyZ »

Week 3 I've been reluctant. The fuselage between the engines and wings is nuts.
I look at images from the Hero epy and the model and things aren't adding up so I am winging it.
I finished the rear top center, refined the top 2 engines, did the nose fuse undercarriage.

Belly shows the guts missing, got some work to do, sorry to be laggin.

Belly and guts worked in.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Hey, that's getting there. The underside still looks to be a bit in want of refinement, but I do indeed think you can make a useable model out of this one. You're certainly at a higher level than myself in terms of the modeling craft, however.

:yes:
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Thanks Thaeris, I haven't found another 3D model of it so I figured it was worth doing.
I agree, there are indeed some refinements I try to figure out yet in the 3D design.
Its tough with so few picture angles available and shadows playing tricks to narrow it down exactly.
I've remade entire sections 4 or 5 times after finding angles that didn't make me happy.
Like any art though, its never really finished, it just reaches a suitable amount of refinement  :D

Offline starlord

I'm not entirely sure if this has links to the raptor TOS mod or to BTRL, but I wanted to know:

Those missions in BTRl are quite atmospheric (the asteroid mission for example)... could they perhaps be imported in diaspora?

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
You most likely could replicate them fairly well in Diaspora, if only the asteroid miner and some big asteroids will be there.

Offline newman

While Diaspora's r1 civie fleet will have a relatively nice selection of ships, the mineral miner probably won't be present in R1. Simplest solution to the need to play those old btrl demo missions again is probably just running the btrl demo and doing it there - at least for the moment :)

Nice to know Newman, thanks. It will be a new game with new features and new missions. Thanks guys  ;)