Author Topic: Funny First-Time Player Stories  (Read 3281 times)

Offline Wet Orange Ostrich Toilet

• Worst Modder HLP has ever seen
Funny First-Time Player Stories
Let's tell some funny stories from the time where you have played Freespace/Freespace 2 for the first time.

(Doesn't need to be Freespace, you can also include other games if you want to.)

I was around 5 at that time:
I didn't get the concept of IFFs and complex missions, I was stuck on the first Mission, with several hundred friendly fire incidents.

I also didn't know how to jump out, so I had to suicide through the missions.

Oh, and I thought the medal tray was a baking tray.
"I thought the Medal Display thingy was a baking tray!"

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: Funny First-Time Player Stories
Not having shields from the off.
That went down well.

Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline potterman28wxcv

• Just a fan player
Playing so bad that I had to play everything on Very Easy or Easy. It's difficult to control a ship when you're 6 :p

And also, being so scared in Playing Judas that I peed on myself. Literally.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Nothing wrong with this topic, just moving it to an appropriate board.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I was around 5 at that time
It's difficult to control a ship when you're 6 :p
I order you to stop making me feel old, immediately
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Boyos

• Steam
And also, being so scared in Playing Judas that I peed on myself. Literally.
While I didn't pee on myself I remember being so scared of that mission that I would never play it and just restart the campaign, I must've been around 8 at the time, also playing on very easy and struggling on some missions.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
My first Freespace experience (aside from watching my friend play it at his house) was with the demo game FS2:Colossus, which came bundled with my Logitech Force 3D stick.  I was so psyched up for the first mission that I was convinced that I would fail completely.  My level of apprehension was as if those were REAL lives on those transports that I was assigned to guard.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

My first Freespace experience (aside from watching my friend play it at his house) was with the demo game FS2:Colossus, which came bundled with my Logitech Force 3D stick.  I was so psyched up for the first mission that I was convinced that I would fail completely.  My level of apprehension was as if those were REAL lives on those transports that I was assigned to guard.
Wow, the game made you really feel like a pilot then.

Oh yeah, at 'Mystery of the Trinity' I thought we were having a race or something so instead of following Zeta 1, I boosted through the nebula like a mad demon.

I can't really remember FS back then, but I do remember playing X-Wing and Wing Commander 2.

In X-Wing I remember loving, but being absolutely awful at the training area. Just a big run of gates to go through, three at a time with little targets to shoot as you fly. Ah, the sound of a B-Wing just grinding against a floating, virtual metal spaceplate...

And in Wing Commander 2, we didn't have the manual at the time, so I had to try to figure out the controls alone. I got most of them, just never figured out how to lock on to capital ships in order to launch torpedoes. So any mission where I was assigned to kill a cap ship, I just ejected immediately so I could move on to the next mission. Yay, branching story!
Spoiler:
Also mildly traumatized when we lost Spirit  :(

"DIVE, DIVE, DIVE. Hit your burners, Pilot".

If i could only experience THIS the first time again. :)

Unfortunately this is the only first time experience in Freespace i really remember.
I was already 13 when Freespace 2 was released. And i played Freespace 1 a year later after that, because it was very rare back then. But in the end of 2000 it was bundled in a gaming magazine, so i bought it. It was followed by Silent Threat only a few weeks later, that was still in the shelves in our local shopping centre.
So Freespace 1 was not soo surprising after i already knew Freespace 2's story.

So another story i have, was with I-War: Independence War. That is not to many years ago.
This game has also a branching story and in one mission you can decide for which side you want to fight. I am continue the fight against the rebellion for a few more couple of missions and saw eventually an ending of this game.
Actually, i thought THIS was the ending of the game.
Only a couple of days later i read, that you have to fight for the rebellion to continue and actually to experience the whole game.
The missions until this choice are only like an introduction.

But nevertheless... i did not play I-War after that again :/.

I hope that i will play it again sometime :).
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 02:50:23 am by Deepstar »
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Heh, do remember first time fondly. Was in a PC World store (was probably about 9-10ish at the time). Had fun flying the ship around and shooting... then I noticed the ship I was shooting at was identical to my one, green on the radar, and not shooting back. Worked out how to escape the mission, then went through the training missions and was hooked. Raided PC World every time we went near it for months until we found 'that space game' in stock and grabbed it. :yes:

I recall my Dad (and I think my sister as well) ran afoul of the 'actually managing to protect the Ramses' thing during first playthrough; walked into his office and found him confused saying "been here for ages" alongside a still-there Ramses and a disabled/disarmed Taranis.
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Well. Quite a few years ago I found Silent Threat expansion as an extremely cool game. Silly me.

And yeah, protecting the Ramses is not that hard. Been there too, as many others who did their first playthrough when they were kids (at least I think so).
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
When I 1st played it, I remember thinking that the Kurasawa 2 mission in Wing Commander was impossible. I guess I got a lot better as I got older.

For something a bit funnier, but not technically from myself, I tried to introduce my future wife to X-Wing Alliance. Played through the 1st mission with me pointing out how to do things. At the end, I said "fly towards the station & land".... and got distracted which resulted in her crashing into the station at full speed and dying. Sadly, that's probably the last time she played a space-flight sim  (empathy fail... I laughed :sigh:)

Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

I remember finding The Great Hunt completely amazing, especially with how terrifying it was to be flying between two huge warships blasting the crap out of everything with flak, just trying not to stay in the crossfire. And then that ending!

Oh, yeah, I remember vividly, the time I've ever played Freespace 2, I did not expect the wingmen to scream into the comms when shot down... yeah, caught me off guard (as in: it scared the living daylights out of me and caused me to run out of the room.)

Also, first training mission "Don't touch the controls until you're told to do so" while I am busy mashing every single button on my keyboard.
And I tried taking on that one station in that second training mission... yeah... good times...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Playing the first Wing Commander I had a mission where I had Bossman as my wingman. We come across 3 Kilrathi at a waypoint and I order him to take on one of the enemy ships while I deal with the other two. The first one fell pretty easily but the second one was giving me problems so I just decided to switch up to full guns and kill him as soon as I get a clear shot. Sure enough, after a bit of dogfighting I get a clear shot up the enemies tailpipe. I immediately fired a full volley of everything I had at him only to watch in horror as before any of my shots reach the enemy it blows up. Bossman had apparently dealt with his fighter and decided to help me. His shots blew up the enemy only for my shots to go straight through the exploding Kilrathi and straight into Bossman's canopy. 

I then got to fly back to the Tiger's Claw and watch his funeral.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Heh; that reminds me of one, in WC2 flying the Epee with two wingmen, we'd killed all the Kilrathi at a waypoint except for one, who seemed to be in coward mode and just constantly fled. I lined up a head on pass with my two wingmen on his tail... and prompted died to a hail of particle cannon fire from my wingmen missing the Kilrathi and hitting me in the face.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Secret missions on the snes.
Button mashing the control to promptly eject.

Then ejecting on every mission to watch what happened. .......
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png