Author Topic: Cash prize for Collada - POF support!  (Read 123464 times)

Re: Cash prize for Collada - POF support!
Wow, I had no idea this was such a huge thread.  I ought to split it and make it a sticky in FS Modding or FS Upgrade.

Where should I split it?  I think when the Collada exporter was finished is a good place, but I don't know when that happened.

Speaking of "finished", if it is, when does the dude get his prize because no one's asked me for any pledged money.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
It's finished when no one else runs into any problems on his end of it, and the documentation is finalized so people know just how to use it.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

It's finished when no one else runs into any problems on his end of it, and the documentation is finalized so people know just how to use it.

Ok cool, sounds good.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Actually I'm not the final authority on that but if it was my money that'd be my criteria.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Also, I don't know about you guys still having problems, but I'm using a build labeled PCS 2.1 Alpha Release November 16 2008 20:21:36, and I opened the MediaVP Aquitane, saved as DAE, and reloaded from that DAE, and had no crash at all.  At first glance everything looked pretty good.  I'm impressed with how far this feature has managed to come.  I'm not sure where you can get this build but I may upload it somewhere if everyone is having a hard time finding a stable one.

Edit:  Of course, I didn't have any trouble doing this with the latest one from his signature, so I'm not sure what's up.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 01:19:32 pm by chief1983 »

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Found some issues.  After saving to dae and reimporting as pof, I noticed a few things missing.  The glowpoint normals were reset to 0, the MOI was lost, and the overall scale seemed to have been changed ever so slightly.  The last part may not matter much as long as everything lines but, going between dae and pof over and over and over is likely to create problems if that has to remain the case.  But losing data completely I hope could be avoided.  Of course, this may not really be the intent anyway, since it still seems the model and the bulk of its data were retained, which is fantastic.   The scale problem could also be due to the changes to the POF export side of things now too as the starting pof was made with PCS 2.0.3 and this using the changes that have brought it up to 2.1 Alpha.

Also, when I open the file as a DAE, its size values are drastically different from those of even the output POF, which are much closer to the starting POF.  I just found this bizarre, as long as the end result is fine it's not a problem.  For example, the original POF had HWD of 79.46, 66.87, and 65.15.  When I saved as DAE and opened the DAE, those values were 49.74, 54.80, and 61.24.  When I saved that as a POF and opened that, the values were back to the original numbers.

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
I have to say that just screams loophole. :p

Glowpoints are still rather lacking in completeness, mainly because no one has expressed interest in their Collada format. Similarly MOI isn't stored due to lack of interest. I'd blame small discrepancies in numbers on rounding errors.

Weird dimensions are probably due to a small issue with subobjects - the big differences, at least. It should be fixed now. Again, lack of interest is not very motivating. ;)

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
glowpoints... okay. here's my take on it, similar to the eff's for animated texture.

when setting them up, this would go under the main glowbank.
Code: [Select]
$Texture_name: <insert_tex_name>-xxx-gp.<insert_ext_here>
$FPS: <rate at which the glowpoint changes, as with eff, in case of animated gp's>

this would go under the glowpoints themselves
Code: [Select]
$On_time: <insert time for the gp to be on in miliseconds>
$Off_time: <insert time for the gp to be off in miliseconds>
$Blink: <insert condition for blink, as in yes, no, permanently on>
$Blink_delay: <insert delay between blinks, ms only>
$Blink_transition: <insert transition time between full on and full off>

i am thinking of this as in the subsys and subob properties, manual entering of these details either via helpers or literally in the editor in PCS.

more to come when i refine the idea a bit, but tell me what do you think of the general idea.
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
It's hard but I can guarantee you that there's no shortage of interest in this support.  Glowpoints probably just need to be some meta property that can be edited.  I also forgot to mention that the paths were absent as well (for the turrets), which I'm also guessing was due to lack of interest.  I don't do much in the modeling apps myself so I hope someone who would be using these features can pose some suggestions for how they should be stored so Spicious can implement it.  Any takers?

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Uhm, I don't believe there's anything in glowpoints about FPS and the on/off times would do essentially the same thing as your blink fields.

Correctly associated paths should be preserved.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
The paths in the defense satellite (nb_ds) are not present when this file is saved as a DAE, nor in the subsequent re-save to POF.  Is there something wrong with them then?  Used the build I just downloaded from your sig.  The DAE file's dimensions are also still off by a large factor.  The Height value went up from 49.74 to 66.62, but the other two values are still the same.  You can experiment with it yourself and see what I mean.  If you do see any peculiarities in the model please let me know.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken