Author Topic: Cash prize for Collada - POF support!  (Read 123471 times)

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
Re: Cash prize for Collada - POF support!
it might be using a way of recoding the uvmap that the PCS2 DAE support doesn't understand
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Found the culprit, I had to re-export the object to 3ds then reimport to clear up the uvmap, not sure exactly what went wrong. 

But I do have another possible bug, when I try to import anything into an existing model, the model completely disappears or the program crashes  :confused:
This is with Alpha Jan 4 09 release, the Nov 7 08 release was a lot more stable.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yeah the Alpha was probably never supposed to have been used, Kazan started working on the trunk code without Spicious knowing that Kazan was breaking stuff.  So really any build that's the 2.1 Alpha probably won't export very well to pof.  This should be getting taken care of soon though.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
build labeled "alpha" are exactly that
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Oh dear... the fred crashing problem is back. 

Heres what I did:
1.) Attached (via edit poly->attach) object
2.) export to dae
3.) import to pcs2 & save
4.) load in fred
5.) if stable goto #1
6.) if not stable, go back to max, undo last attach, hide the "Bad piece" and continue on.

I got to a point where no matter what I added on it'll crash fred.
So I took all those "bad pieces" and merged them into one object.  Attached that object via hierarchy link, not poly attach, to the main hull.  Export and converted to pof.  Vola it works in fred.

Am I hitting some sort of limit and with which collada importer or fred?  Detail0 is 16,701 triangles (738 vert).

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

Offline Water

Am I hitting some sort of limit and with which collada importer or fred?  Detail0 is 16,701 triangles (738 vert).
The numbers sound wrong. An average of 22 faces per vextex seems too high.

Opps I was looking at something completely different
Polys: 7,367
Tri: 16,701
Vertex: 10,185

Offline Water

Opps I was looking at something completely different
Polys: 7,367
Tri: 16,701
Vertex: 10,185
cob format - 20k mesh loaded ok in pcs 2.0.3. Failed as dae. Didn't crash, just wasn't  there when it had finished. (oct12-08 build)

I'm using the nov 7, 08 build.  Dunno if there were any stable builds after that.  It works most of the time, which is good enough for me, for now.

I need a suggestion, I'm about to do two launch bays that combined is a mile long, that parts done.  I need to do glowpoints, 2 every 15 meters, which is about 67 glow groups.  What would be the best way to organize them so that I don't have to hunt down each successive group (The callada importer doesn't seem keep them in order)?

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Scooby, the newest 2.0.3-based DAE build I have is Oct 6, 2008.  Can I get the Nov one from you?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Unforunately, I don't have the orignial zip file, but I can zip up what's currently in the folder, (theres some DLL's from the newer broken build.)

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
The exe is all I need, if you could zip that and email it to me that would work.  It should just be a drop in replacement for the exe I already have.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy

Could you make a zipped/installer version of it?  Or does someone still have the installer for it?

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
The current installation process is described on the Collada Importer wiki page.  Get the regular 2.0.3 installer that Kazan released, the libColladaDOM dll, the VC2008 redist files, and the exe you just posted, and you're set.  If that file will be there a while I might add a link to it to the wiki page, it's the latest 2.0.3 based DAE build I'm aware of.

A suggest for future development:  accomadate other units of measure besides the default pixel one.  For example, 1 FS2 meter equals to 1 default unit.  How about adding the ability to use 1 meter instead?   I know the dae file includes which unit of measure is used.  <COLLADA>.<asset>.<unit meter = "x" name = "unit">
It's extermely hard to do small stuff (fighter scale).  I've noticed rendering rounding errors when dealing with it.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Query: where can the latest builds be found?

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
The latest stable build I know of is in the wiki article now.  Which is linked to in my sig.  And other places around this thread.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Should I post collada-related problems here, or in Mantis?

It looks like the turrets break when I export a DAE from a POF. At least in 3ds one firepoint is missing, the names are wrong and I think the pivots might be wrong as well.

Also there is still the problem with 3ds and the "-node" importing. I really can't open the DAE file from 3ds with a texteditor and look which objects need it, every time I want to convert a model.

Converting a simple ship with a few turrets is currently a pain...
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------