FreeSpace Releases > Asset Releases

Warpmap Blend File

(1/2) > >>

Gamma39er:
Here's the blend file for the warpmap I've made recently. I might revisit it at some point to clean up the node setup. Other than that, I'm not sure how to improve it at this point:

Warpmap in Blender

I think the following video is the best demonstration of the effect it generates:

jadeddragoon:
Woot! Excellent work. :-)

Nightmare:
I like the effect pretty much :yes: :yes:

One thing though: have you consider upscaling the warp out effect? Because as in retail, you have the problem that ship disappears through the rift instead of the white, what looks a bit awkward.

Gamma39er:

--- Quote from: Nightmare on April 06, 2022, 02:15:49 pm ---One thing though: have you consider upscaling the warp out effect? Because as in retail, you have the problem that ship disappears through the rift instead of the white, what looks a bit awkward.

--- End quote ---

I briefly considered it because that is what's been done before, but I prefer a different solution that I think more closely matches Volitions original intent and also looks better in general. I'd like to implement a shader that fades the ship in from the portal, possibly with a white or colored fresnel/gradient or something. If you watch the Freespace 1 intro, that's how it looks when the Lucifer arrives.

I'm personally not a fan of making the whole ship pass only through the white area for the following reasons:
1. Making the core larger messes with the ratio of ripples to core.
2. Upscaling the effect makes the effect too large.
3. I actually like that it passes through the ripples a bit, especially if it were to be a bit more seamless with that shader.

Nightmare:
There's a SEXP where you can apply the FS1 techroom selection effect to shipmodels, it is probably the closest you can get to what is shown in the FS1 intro.

--- Quote from: Gamma39er on April 06, 2022, 03:06:43 pm ---1. Making the core larger messes with the ratio of ripples to core.

--- End quote ---

If you change the size of the warpin/warpout in ships.tbl you might get that done w/o changing the effect itself. A more elegant solution might be to resize Warp.pof but idk if it actually works.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version