Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 613974 times)

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Re: What are you playing right now?
TRI: of friendship and madness (PC) (first person puzzle platformer)

Returning to it as I always do, I am at the phase of replaying where you start making unnecessarily complex solutions to the levels.  :lol:

If you are a fan of Portal and Antichamber, or if adding Tri faces in 3D modeling software give you esoteric joy, This is the game for you.

I actually made a steam review of it: https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198006027481/recommended/293660
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 11:57:11 pm by DefCynodont119 »
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Finished Grand Theft Auto V (PC)
Same old same old.
It tries to be more selfaware but it's still too nihilistic for the story to work.
It has some darkly funny moments but it's just the usual "everything sucks" so even the lighter tone doesn't help.
Also the gameplay is not fun, GTA games are supposed to be the ultimate "screwing around in an open world" games but the walking controls are always crap, the side activities are either boring or make essentially no money (or are endless money sinks, buyinf properties is useless) and while the car controls are better than IV they are still annoying.
I never even tried with the collectables.
Also helicopters suck and have no reason to suck this much when in Saints Row they are actually fun to use. To add insult to injury missions often demand you land them in a specific place and getting those stupid things to land in the right spot is just frustrating at times.
At least missions have more checkpoints and the game production values are in full show.

PS: speaking of "everything sucks" that "satire" of unions and strikes is downright horrifying knowing working conditions at Rockstar games.

Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere (PSX, emulated)
It branches like Wing Commander IV, has cartoon cutscenes and I curse Bamco for the stupid decision to gut the western release but that's what fantranslations are for.
I did a first run, probably the story has been done to death in all the cyberpunk animes ever but it's actually interesting if simple.
It's also way easier than AC7 playing on normal, I did my first run in an evening but that's probably because of the branching paths and the game is balanced to be completable with a digital gamepad (I played with my HOTAS).

Shadow of The Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (PC)
After GTA I wanted a third person game with decent controls.
I'm mostly doing collectables and sidequests, going around collecting stuff in the pretty scenery is quite addicting. It does help that most collectables are basically lore bits and unique objects with some interesting story bits or trivia attached to them, the rest give you rare resources and XP that aren't anything to scoff at.
Also, optional crypts and tombs that unlock new equipment and abilities that can't be unlocked any other way, even the crypts have a few puzzles every now and then, I think only one was just a hidden room like in the previous game.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Since Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition was on a discount in the Microsoft Store, I went ahead and bought it. Finished the William Wallace campaign yesterday.

At the same time, I'm also "playing" in FRED2 with BP enabled. :nervous:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline spart_n

• I am the labeller of CringeTM and KinoTM
    • Steam
jet lancer is fun. very fun.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I've finished Shadow of The Tomb Raider - Definitive Edition (PC)
It's more of the same but a finely crafted example of it.
I managed to 100% it only looking up the last challenge (which to be fair is designed to be stumbled upon during a story sequence but I never managed to do it for some reason).
One thing that preplexes me about the story is that they fault Lara for the cataclysms when it's pretty clear that:
1- Lara is not exactly prone to take the paranormal at face value which is understandable even with her experiences (yes, there is that Himiko business but also the events of the Baba Yaga DLC) and it's a pretty big leap between "picking up a knife" and "literally ending the world";
2- the bad guy was about to do the same thing perfectly knowing what he was doing.
Yet the narrative somehow seems to take what the bad guy says at face value and it's barely hinted at that he's a massive hypocrite, like, this is supposed to be a b-movie plot there is no need to be subtle about it.
They might have done it to counterbalance any inevitable "mighty whitey" implications but it's just another bit of weird drama for the sake of it.
There is just this tendency of not letting female action heroes just be, the Uncharted guy apparently can go around moving down scores of enemies smiling and cracking jokes but Lara Croft needs to be deconstructed for some reason, even after she more than settled down on her adventurer archeologist role two games ago.
Other than that the game was fun and getting all the collectables was a big part of it, you don't go around collecting feathers but mostly you go diggin up documents, inscriptions and artifacts that give you pieces of story, lore and mythology which only made me more eager to get to the next one.
The tombs are varied and even the crypts often are more akin to smaller tombs than the simple caves of the first two games, the tombs with relative sidequests added by the DLCs are often a bit more elaborate than the ones in the base game.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Many not be fully appropriate for this thread, but... FreeSpace 1's main campaign. I haven't touched it in like, 10 years or so.  :nervous:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Many not be fully appropriate for this thread, but... FreeSpace 1's main campaign. I haven't touched it in like, 10 years or so.  :nervous:

Yeah, I hadn't touched it in almost 20 years until I recently came back to HLP and replayed it with the new graphics. You won't be disappointed. :D
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Mostly been playing Warzone recently as I suppose a lot do.

However, I have also been playing it through an Oculus Go via Virtual Desktop in dark cinema mode and let me tell you that, although it's not true VR, it is incredibly immersive!
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Cod Warzone?

The updates on PS4 are huuuuuge,  I missed one and can't be bothered to lose half my library to get warzone.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Cod Warzone?

The updates on PS4 are huuuuuge,  I missed one and can't be bothered to lose half my library to get warzone.
Yes COD Warzone, I play mostly on PC as I have a large hard drive so have the space, the updates are way too big though and the foorprint is too big too, they need to sort that out. Although it isn't as large as the Ark Survival Evolved Editor which is over 300gbs!! (I picked that up for free recently on Epic in their weekly Thursday giveaways).
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 11:04:11 am by Wobble73 »
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt GOTY (PC)

I'm not playing anything right now, the last game I've played was League of Legends.  :)

Offline SL1

I'm replaying Risen. I really like its comfy tropical environment. There aren't enough RPGs with tropical settings.

It sometimes makes me think of Enderal, though, which is a downer. That game left a really bad taste in my mouth.

I'm replaying Risen. I really like its comfy tropical environment. There aren't enough RPGs with tropical settings.

It looks pretty. How is it? Fun?

Offline SL1

It looks pretty. How is it? Fun?

Yeah, it's pretty fun, although the combat is a bit clunky. You also have to jump through quite a few hoops if you want to become a mage, which is annoying for me, as I always play a mage in RPGs. I'd say the environment is my favorite part of the game, though.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Just finished The Banner Saga 3 - It felt somewhat fitting a few weeks ago to finally play the final installment of a great series, a chapter which has a lot to do with people huddling together in tenious safety while hoping the world will not end.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Been playing carrion.

Love it. 👍👍.
It's about a biological entity ravaging every human life in the area.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age.

I remember playing FFXII back in the day but I stopped very early, while my brother completed it. I decided to give it another try, so I bought The Zodiac Age, which is a nice remaster of the original FFXII. So far, so good.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

I just-one-more-turn'd myself to 3am this morning in Civilization VI.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age.

I remember playing FFXII back in the day but I stopped very early, while my brother completed it. I decided to give it another try, so I bought The Zodiac Age, which is a nice remaster of the original FFXII. So far, so good.

Any good?   I didn't get past the bunny village at the time, i've still got the PS2 disc but no room for a PS2 in my life,  i've had the physicla media in my hand and "ummed/ahhh'd" a few times...
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.