Author Topic: Noob Question: Changing Models - HOW?  (Read 2812 times)

Offline T_A

Noob Question: Changing Models - HOW?
ok im new to the open source freespace 2 world (just heard of it today and im amazed)
anyway how do change to the models i get from here

i downloaded the lucifer model , but all i got was the dds files
so without a readme im clueless

i would have searched but it seems to be disabled and the 2 pages i looked over didnt seems to help

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
Re: Noob Question: Changing Models - HOW?
In your FS2 directory you will find a folder named Data, open it up and put the POF file in the Models folder and the DDS files in the Maps folder. :)
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
1. Where did you hear of it? We're always interested in learning where the steady stream of newbies is coming from :)

2. If you just want to see the HTL lucifer in action you can just download the 3.6.8 Beta VP files to get it (You'll also need the latest CVS build from the SCP's Recent Builds forum)

3. Nonetheless if you're interested in developing or bugtesting for FS2_open or just simply always want to have the latest stuff before it hits the media VP files you'll need to know so here goes.

For a new ship model to work in FS2 (or FS2_Open) it needs three things.

a) It needs the model. These come in the format filename.pof. These go in Freespace2\Data\Models if you've simply stuck the media.vp files in your main Freespace 2 folder.
b) You need the ship to exist on the ships table. For the lucifer this is already true. Just add the other components and it will work. If however you were adding a completely new ship to the game to use in a mission you were making you'd need to add the ship to the table. In the old days this was done by grabbing the Ships.tbl file and editing it but recently it's become possible to simply add a modular table extention file. This is a file which ends filename-ship.tbm and this goes in the data\tables folder.
c) Lastly you need the textures. If you are downloading a texture upgrade you may only have textures. Again these can already be present in the media.vp files so don't be surprised if you only get a pof in a download. Textures come in a variety of formats but will end in .eff, .ani, .pcx, .tga, .dds or .jpg. They all go in data\maps.
Not make sure you have actually downloaded a ship. Effects may have similar filenames but shouldn't go in the maps folder.

Anyway that's probably far more info than you needed so I'll just sum it up for you. You've only got the texture so far. You don't actually have the lucifer itself. Either get the VPs I suggested or go back to where you got the .dds file and find the .pof file.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
JUst a thought, but did you pick up Galemp's glowmapped version, or VA's main release?
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline T_A

thanks for the quick replay!
im really interested in this project since freespace 1 and 2 are still my all time favorite sims and perhaps 2 of the best games i ever played

i heard about this from www.nforce.nl  - some1 opened a thread about The Babylon project and FS2 mods and mentioned something about it
being open source  so i figured there must be some amazing thing done for it

anyway , since im new and i got alot of questions about several topics i think ill keep them in this thread
1) can i use FSport with open fs ? (or have to for that matter) cuz as far as i see it only gave me the first campain-
i got the 250mb 2.3 pack and put it in a dir in my main FS2 dir and selected it as a mod in the launcher
so what am i doing wrong?
2) can i bring the Babylon project into the FS2 dir? (i got release 3 which is a standalone)
3) if i installed FS2 without the movies can i copy files from the cds to have them or do i need to reinstall?

i save some more questions for later  :p

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
1. Yes you can. I've got no idea why that didn't work. Ask on the FS1 port forum.
2. They won't help you if you get problems as a result of doing that but it's the way I run TBP and It's never caused me hassle.
3. The movies won't work on FS_Open anyway so I presume you mean the briefing CB anims. Simply copy Tango1, 2 and 3 from your CDs into your main FS2 folder and they'll instantly start to work. You might as well copy across warble if you don't have it already too. TangoA and B can remain where they are. You really don't need them.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]