Author Topic: Cockpit Mod?  (Read 4886 times)

Offline NFSRacer

• Professional aircraft crasher!
    • Steam
I heard some time ago that there was a mod for FSO that adds a cockpit view.  Is that actually true?
"Said 'It was up to us.  Up to us, to decide.  You've become a virus that eating up it host.  We've been watching you with all our eye, and what you seem to value most.  'So much potential'.  Or so we used to say.  Your greed, self-importance, and your arrogance, you p*** it all away.'" - NIN from Year Zero

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yes.

In a way, that is. If you have a fighter with an actual cockpit model, adding the "show ship" flag to it via a tbm makes that cockpit visible.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline NFSRacer

• Steam
Tbm?

Wait, you mean the TBL files, right?
"Said 'It was up to us.  Up to us, to decide.  You've become a virus that eating up it host.  We've been watching you with all our eye, and what you seem to value most.  'So much potential'.  Or so we used to say.  Your greed, self-importance, and your arrogance, you p*** it all away.'" - NIN from Year Zero

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
No, I mean a tbm, aka a modular table, aka the tool good modders use.

Offline NFSRacer

• Steam
Well, what can I say?  I'm a bit of a rookie FS modder and FREDer.  Only way I can learn if I play around with it.  What VP are the TBMs under, or do I have to make them myself?

EDIT:
I just re-read the Wiki info.  Looks simple enough, right?  Take the info from the TBL file that I want and re-edit it into a TBM?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
In principle, yes.

However, in this case, the solution is rather simple. Take a look at this example:

Code: [Select]
#Ship Classes

$Name: GTF Ulysses
+nocreate
$Flags: ( "show ship" )
+noreplace

$Name:          GTF Hercules
+nocreate
$Flags: ( "show ship" )
+noreplace

#End

This tbm, if saved as, say, showship-shp.tbm (note the -shp part, it's important) will switch on the cockpits for the Ulysses and the Hercules Mk 1. However, not all ships have cockpits at the moment.

An explanation: the -shp part in the filename tells the engine that the following data should be used to modify ships.tbl.

$Name tells the engine which entry to modify, +nocreate tells the engine that the following data should be used to modify an existing entry instead of overwriting an old one or creating a new one. Then comes the data we wish to alter, in this case, only the $Flags field. This has a modifier of its own, called +noreplace, which means that these flags should be added to the existing flags, instead of overwriting the old flags list.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 08:50:45 am by The E »

Offline NFSRacer

• Steam
Wow! :eek:  That IS simple.  Lol.  I feel like an idiot, now. :warp:

Actually, I just tried your example (I've never tried doing this from scratch) with the Herc MkI and the cockpit didn't show.  How do you know if a ship have a viewable cockpit?  Are they the ships where you can see the pilot in third person view?

Correction, yet again.  NOW I see why it isn't working: I somehow saved it as *.tbm.txt file, and now I can't change it to be JUST a TBM file.  Aside from NotePad, is there any sort of TBL or TBM editor?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 10:31:02 am by NFSRacer »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
No. As for your problem, disable the never-to-be-sufficiently-cursed "Hide file extensions for known filetypes" option in Windows Explorer. Then you can edit extensions to your hearts' content.

Offline NFSRacer

• Steam
No. As for your problem, disable the never-to-be-sufficiently-cursed "Hide file extensions for known filetypes" option in Windows Explorer. Then you can edit extensions to your hearts' content.

Well, that's the problem.  I'm running a Vista OS and, unfortunately, I can't seem to find that option in Windows Explorer (one of the many reasons I HATE this OS :mad: ).

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Open Explorer window. Press alt. Go to Tools -> Folder Options -> View.

Offline NFSRacer

• Steam
Open Explorer window. Press alt. Go to Tools -> Folder Options -> View.

Oh.......I know that.  :warp:

Edit:
COOL! IT WORKS!!!  Now to find out which fighters I can apply this mod to...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 11:08:25 am by NFSRacer »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Until someone gets the z-point issue fixed this is the only way to do cockpits.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"