Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 617858 times)

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Re: What are you playing right now?
KOTOR 2 (yes, still) and Bioshock Infinite:  Burial at Sea.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Husker

Well, my plans for getting Homeworld have been put on hold. The GOTY edition; $170-ish. So I've settled on just HW2 for now and getting the other two later. I've already seen the whole trilogy's LP by Renairen. So I kinda know the story, but HW2 has the best gameplay IMO.

Well, my plans for getting Homeworld have been put on hold. The GOTY edition; $170-ish. So I've settled on just HW2 for now and getting the other two later. I've already seen the whole trilogy's LP by Renairen. So I kinda know the story, but HW2 has the best gameplay IMO.

!!!!
Hey, try this one instead: http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Homeworld-Game-Year-PC/dp/B00008OE45
Or buy used. Or skip the GOTY edition (what does it even add?).
Or wait for Gearbox to release Homeworld HD (or whatever), hopefully soooon.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Or don't buy. You have interwebs, for unexistant god's sake.

Until gearbox goes around to re-release it (and we have no idea when that'll be), this is technically abandonware, especially when the only copies to you find are above 100 bucks  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 01:00:42 am by MatthTheGeek »
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Plotting my new Let's Play.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
The new BattleTech Let's Play made me fire up the ol' MW4:Mercs install, and I've been fiddling around with loadouts and kicking butt at Solaris (as per usual). Also...

Seeing as I'm without internet for the foreseeable future I've started playing Mechwarrior 4 Mercs again. With the MekPak of course. A pair of CUAC20s on a Talos is an extraordinary sight to behold.

I'm still having trouble building a quad-PPC Awesome of any variant without it promptly melting after two shots though. That isn't so good because the NPC allies don't know about this strange thing called "heat management" and I'd rather be brawling with the ballistic weapons.
Do you still have an installer of the MekTek version of MW4 somewhere?  I'd love to get back in it.
I don't know about Hobbie, but I think I might still have my Mercs downloads somewhere. Not sure where, though; I definitely had them as of a year ago, because it's been installed since I reinstalled my operating system (specifically, looks like the folder was created last July; almost exactly a year ago).

If I ever find the actual downloads, I'll let you know.
A lot late, but I thought some people might like to know that I sucessfully located the most up-to-date MW4:Mercs free release archives (0028 full archive, 0028-to-0029 patch archive, 0029-to-0030 patch archive, the MTX Extractor to extract those archives, and the 0030c hotfix). I've stuck 'em all in a 7zip archive and uploaded them here (plus you can get the Mechstorm texture pack here). Have at it (sorry I missed you on IRC, SpardaSon21).

Slight word of warning: the MTX files compressed really efficiently. The MW4Mercs.7z archive is only 178 MB, but the files total 1.81 GB. By contrast, attempting to make a .7z of the Mechstorm installer resulted in an archive larger than the file it was supposed to compress (come to think of it, the installer is probably just a glorified self-extracting archive in the first place).
EDIT: Turns out the all-to-0028 archive was corrupted (hence the tiny size of the 7zip archive). I pulled MW4Mercs.7z for now, but I found that the all-to-0028 torrent still has seeds; if it pays off, I'll reupload.
EDIT2: Reuploaded.

Yes, my username is MageKing17 on IRC.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 04:56:43 pm by AdmiralRalwood »
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Cruised through Rifleman Bank Station with Augs.  Managed to get "Apex Predator" by disposing of the "Colonel Kilgore" wannabe without being seen.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
WARNING: IMMATURE CONTENT
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
found a "demo" of rocksmith 2014 and have been trying it out a bit.  thank GOD i didn't buy into the hype and buy it sight unseen.  it has some technical improvements and a neat new feature or two, but on the whole it blows compared to the original.  there were quite a few well-known and much talked about issues with RS1.  most of them were just kindof annoying, like a bad, unintuitive UI and it pulling up the tuner before every single song or set played.  the only truly horrible problem i saw was that the game could decide to throw you into 'master mode' without you telling it to, wherein you must play the song from memory.  all these little things that we told the developers about were CHANGED, but not fixed.  the UI is more condensed and navigation is a little quicker in 2014, but it's still an unintuitive cluster****.  the 'career mode' type function was removed entirely.  that was my main mode of playing and the best way to get exposure to all the songs, and just generally feel like there was some sort of progression.  in its place is an asinine achievements type system that sends you on horribly stupid 'missions' like "open the options menu" or "play five WHOLE notes correctly in this song" or "sort the list of songs."  those are all real.  and every time you do one of these tasks, you're greeted with a popup congratulating you on pressing the enter key or whatever the hell you just did.  oh my god i "looked at" the "learn a song" page (this is just the list of songs in the game) i feel so proud of myself!  i don't like the new cartoony and effects-based background (a lot like guitar hero/rockband) that replaced RS1's venue with audience or basement/practice studio backdrop, but i accept this is just personal taste and not a big deal at all.  however the changed note highway and a lot of the shiny effects and new notations are objectively worse in that they make it harder to actually see what the hell you're supposed to be playing.  as a complete beginner (and playing bass at that), i have no interest in session mode, which was really the biggest draw.  and finally the on-disc songs are pretty weak.  a few big titles in there, but filled in with utter crap.  not just unknowns like in RS1 that mostly turned out to be pretty good songs anyway, but truly bad songs.

in short, the only thing really worth having about the new game is the reduced input lag and support for more techniques and tunings.  almost everything else has regressed from RS1.  pretty much everyone else reviewing/commenting on it says it's much faster and way less loading time, but i honestly never noticed loading times at all in the first one.  2014 ends up being WAY slower for me due to generally bad UI design, all those annoying popups interrupting everything i'm trying to do, and specifically for startup, the fact that all the developer/publisher splashes are unskippable now.  the final nail in the coffin is uplay required in addition to steam.  two third party programs required to be running and two accounts signed in.  and beyond that, uplay actually goes and gets all up in the game, making stuff that should just be part of the base game "bonus" content that has to be unlocked with uplay points.  some of it doesn't matter, like different skins and virtual guitars and stuff, but some of it REALLY matters, like the damn lead or rhythm guitar arrangements for the songs.  or just entire songs outright.  i guess you get these points by doing the stupid missions or something.  i don't really know, my "demo" breaks that part.  everyone currently playing and discussing the game on various forums seems to be infatuated and blowing sunshine about it, but i've still got to imagine there would be MASSIVE outcry if these uplay unlocks had to be bought.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Punch Punch Panchaea!

Seriously I think I knocked out more people on that facility than Mike Tyson in his career.  Well thus ends my adventure into Deus Ex Human Revolution it was quite fun.  I'll probably take a break from games for a bit, though XCOM EW does beckon quite seductively.

Also Jason Namir doesn't care for taking fragmentation shells in the face from a Linebacker G-87  :snipe:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 02:34:42 am by StarSlayer »
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
A bit of Dust 154.
It's a pretty solid shooter, but it just seems to be missing something....
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Finished Stalker: SHOC. Playing Priboi story mod now :).
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Gotten back into The Old Republic.

Save me.

(Also playing X Rebirth but not all that much, it needs a lot of patching)
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Started playing Risk of Rain, interesting mix of roguelike, platformer, sci-fi and just bloody die already
http://riskofraingame.com/
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

A bit of Warthunder

Like if IL-2 and World of Warplanes had a baby. It plays much like IL-2, but looks BETTER than WoWP.

If anybody wants to try, use this link and get 50 free gold/eagles/premium monies. http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_11348256

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
Metroid Prime 3
Difficulty - Veteran
98% complete
Total time 15:47

beat Metroid Prime 2 a few days ago.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i just got metroid prime.  i'm brand new to the series.  is there any value to playing through super metroid first?  got it for free, and played a little bit, but it feels REALLY tedious so far. 
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Metroid Prime is the best Metroid game ever made, and you don't need to play a single other game to enjoy it.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
I'd still play all of the series anyhow. They're great games overall (even Other M despite everyone hating it)
"No"

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
No!  BAD deathfun!  We do not recommend that game to people!

And yes, the Metroid Prime trilogy stands by itself, though by most accounts Super Metroid is an all-time classic of gaming that's definitely worth a play itself.