Author Topic: Inside Tenebra: cut content, hidden features, and dev stories  (Read 12735 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Inside Tenebra: cut content, hidden features, and dev stories
Anyone poking through the Tenebra mission files will find a fair bit of disabled content, mysterious SEXPs, and unused dialogue - a Federation pilot begging for his life, a whole set of dialogue for the Icarus opening, a cluster of events with triggers set to false. These are the leftovers of iterative development, the process of figuring out the best way to hit a story beat or make a mission engaging. And there are other relics that aren't as apparent: mission concepts that went unused or cut, gameplay systems that never quite flew, none of which left fossils in the final release.

In this thread I'd like to talk about some of those. There's a lot to be said about Icarus, the opening cutscene, which once featured a few lines of dialogue and stayed focused on the battle between Calder and Steele during the events of Delenda Est. But Axem would probably be a better fit to discuss that mission.

In the mean time I'm going to skip ahead to M18, Nothing is True.

The Gas Miners

One of the core mechanics in this mission is the ability to infect the Vasudan gas miners, converting them into flying bombs. The mechanic is important for a few reasons - it introduces the idea of scanning ships as a mode of engagement, which is reused in M19 and M21; it spares players the chore of individually hunting down and destroying each ship in the fairly large convoy; and it points to the act's key metanarrative element of decisive action on one point, rather than attritive action on many points, as a means to secure victory.

As the mission stands, the convoy will begin to break away from the gas miners once the first one detonates. This incentivizes players to infect all four, then attempt to detonate them simultaneously. Originally, though, the mechanic worked quite differently - the convoy never split up into groups, and the gas miner crews would detect the virus as soon as it was uploaded and begin a purge process. The 'correct' method of attack, then, was to target each miner one at a time and detonate it individually, then move on to the next.

We decided that it made the Vasudans look pretty stupid to maintain formation around a group of potential flying bombs, particularly when their defensive net was down and there was little reason to stay in tight formation. Furthermore, splitting the gameplay tasks into two clean cycles - scan, then kill - rather than four scan/kill cycles reduced the amount of mode switching the player had to conduct, giving a little more process purity to the gameplay and tying into the idea of 'prepare the ground, then act decisively' that permeates Fedayeen operations.

Making the miner explosions player-friendly was a challenge, particularly because we didn't want wingmen flying into the detonations and exploding. (Observant players will note that the first Fedayeen wingman to be knocked out of action in this mission will withdraw, leaving the other two to help Laporte. There's a distinct variation of the final conversation for each permutation of two wingmen, as well as a variant if all three are still present). Large explosions in 3D space are nearly impossible to monitor well in FreeSpace, since the visuals don't signpost them nicely, so we ended up giving the player some (hopefully effective) shockwave resistance and providing the wingmen with AI commands to avoid exploding miners. I'm not actually sure these commands worked - this is something we'll need to follow up on as it ties into our constant quest to improve AI behavior.

The Ainsarii received a significant buff between R1 and R2, largely due to combat experience in this mission. It's a big ship and needs to be at least modestly tough to avoid frustration.

The Ejected Pilot

This mission is notable for its brutality, both physically - the primary action involves the eradication of a huge number of mostly defenseless ships - and morally. For some time it was even worse: one of the Federation pilots who arrived on the scene would eject from his ship after being shot down, and the Fedayeen would need to sanitize him.

The ejected pilot would appear after both the convoy and the UEF fighters had been dealt with. The player had a few choices in their approach to the situation. They could kill the ejected pilot immediately, or hold a lengthy conversation with him, assuring him that he was a hero, that he'd accidentally helped contribute to an important operation, and that he'd be okay and with his wingmen soon. The player would then either kill the wingman herself, or refuse, in which case the Fedayeen wingmen would step in and execute the task.

There's a lot of dialogue from this sequence still in the mission file, and it can get pretty gutwrenching. We felt it was too on-the-nose: it simply repeated the same moral challenge present in the 'shoot down UEF fighters' gameplay loop, but made even more personal and difficult. It began to stretch belief that the Fedayeen couldn't snatch this pilot with a transport and whisk him away to sit out the war. Additionally, it provided another long, talky sequence in a mission already loaded with dialogue and a very talky coda.

We'd already played the 'life of an ejected pilot' card in Act 1 and didn't want to retread the same ground. Ultimately, while it might have been an interesting narrative beat, I think the mission is stronger for its absence.

The Fedayeen 'virtual AI'

Much of the personality of the Fedayeen wingmen is conveyed through their actions and responses to player orders, rather than chunks of dialogue. The Fedayeen wingmen are each essentially perfect pilots, statistically, and we wanted to build on that by making them smart and giving them some initiative.

Thanks to FRED trickery, the wingmen are able to interpret orders and translate them into more effective AI goals. An attack order on one small transport in a group will queue up attack orders on the whole group, for instance. While convenient, though, this wasn't very readable for players. The AI is most notable when it's not doing its job, rather than when it is. How would we signal the intelligence and context-sensitivity of the Fedayeen wingmen?

We ended up with a pretty extensive 'virtual persona' system, in which the Fedayeen provided context-sensitive dialogue for specific orders. Telling Falconer to attack a Serapis will lead her to make a viciously sarcastic remark about the similarity between the Serapis and Anubis; Kovacs will react with skepticism if you tell him to attack a gas miner that isn't infected with the virus; Vidaura will express sorrow when ordered to kill one of the interloping UEF pilots. This same system appears extensively in M21, where the wingmen know when they're being told to attack the Carthage vs. a fleeing gas miner vs. a heavily defended installation.

I'd like to say a bit more about this mission's narrative and our drive to tell the story by presenting rather than narrating, but work calls.

Re: Inside Tenebra: cut content, hidden features, and dev stories
That amount of thought in a (every?) single mission is truly impressive :yes:

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
spoler tags much <hides eyes from act 3 content>
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
This is the BP forum. It's going to have BP spoilers.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
spoler tags much <hides eyes from act 3 content>

If you want to avoid spoilers, why are you clicking on a link that advertises cut content, hidden features and dev stories?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline aledeth

I'm still amazed at how well crafted the VI for the pilots in HFH is. The intelligence in the defend Serenity command is great.
I've never been able to order wings of fighters to defend a target and have them reliably cover all angles of defense: bomb busting and proactive enemy engagement and all the other things they could do meant that I could freely do everything that I felt was best suited to a player, while not losing out on other objectives because my wingmates were actually good enough to do it themselves!

Tenebra was really the first campaign that got me thinking of wingmen as more than floating turrets that spam dialogue at you.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
I'm still amazed at how well crafted the VI for the pilots in HFH is. The intelligence in the defend Serenity command is great.
I've never been able to order wings of fighters to defend a target and have them reliably cover all angles of defense: bomb busting and proactive enemy engagement and all the other things they could do meant that I could freely do everything that I felt was best suited to a player, while not losing out on other objectives because my wingmates were actually good enough to do it themselves!
Well, it helps that they can't die.

So is this thread supposed to be an incremental version of the Act 1 WiH commentary videos the team did way back when R1 was released?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Well, it helps that they can't die.

They are actually more able to 'die' than most plot-invulnerable wingmen, especially in m21.

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
A nice read!  :yes: This really goes to show the level of detail you guys operate at.

That being said, in my opinion the Ejected pilot part of the mission Nothing is True would have really been morally challenging (The player could have been given the option to take the pilot prisoner only after a certain amount of dialogue, while the option to sanitize him/her would be open right from the start) and it shouldn't have been cut. But then again, its just my personal opinion.

And another thing, this regarding the sophisticated AI wingmen and their handling of player orders, how do you guys track which order the player has given his wingmen? SEXP's or scripts?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 09:26:37 am by Crybertrance »
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

I was really impressed with your wingman in the mission to destroy the carthage.  While yes they were invincible, they were still incredibly effective and carrying out objectives, especially protecting the frigate in the beginning. 

Offline Axem

Icarus

What better way is there to start an action packed act release than with an action packed intro cutscene? One that jumps across from Jupiter to Saturn to Neptune and back again until we (in a more than usual literal sense) graze the Sun. But hold on there, Icarus wasn't always jumping across planets and certainly wasn't completely envisioned this way.

The cutscene (at this time untitled) was originally thought of as a pure battle between Steele and Calder. There was, of course, mention that Calder would be running interference on Steele during Delenda Est, so this would expand on that. Calder hears the Wargods have failed, so he needs to retreat. Sounds simple enough, its one big Battle of Endor, right? Well, the first attempt was... really boring. Everything was set up a little too traditionally at the start. Both sides were fighting in a formation and it might have been neat for an actual mission, but there was very little WOW factor. This needed to change.

A Musical Roadmap

Icarus changed it. The music was perfect, meant as a trailer piece for Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and like trailer music should be, it crams a lot of action into every note. So there was now a roadmap to build an action packed intro cutscene. Just listening to it you could begin to make out how to divide up the cutscene. It starts off slow, with some establishing and building action. A sudden hit and the music gets faster and louder. Another hit and we're knee-deep in an electronic symphony. As the music goes on, there's some smaller hits. Vocals come in, everything in the background becomes a little bit quieter, but slowly builds up again. Then near the end we have some more sarrowful music before we begin to hit the ending. The trick was to use all of these interesting points, the hits, and the changes in tone or instruments to find good scene transition points and to make sure they are evenly spaced out.

There's a lot that could be said about all the scenes, but I'm just going to talk about a few of them.

So in the first 45 seconds, we've got some nice rising action going on. Things start quiet and get louder. This gets translated visually by starting off in deep space and slowly revealling our battle scape to the viewer. At this point the battle was solely Calder vs Steele, so the combatants were the UEFr Vikrant and UEFr Toreador (both Narayanas) duking it on to the GTCv Juarez (Deimos) and the Seneca (Diomedes). Because its a cutscene and the viewer can't see things like health, we are free to give the ships very high AI levels to maximize fire rates and to make them invulnerable so we can have a nice fire show and have no one get hurt (There might have been some off screen, of course). So the first camera angle was pointed straight 'down' and the camera would pan over the Toreador, filling the entire shot and continue to pan showing its combat with the GTVA corvettes.

Scale in space is hard because there's no ground and no giant shadows. What works best to show scale is to try to fill the frame with a ship, or at least to have part of the ship cut off by the frame's edge. And what also helps is having other smaller ships so you can see just how big these spaceships are! So a little Kent racing across the Toreador's side gives a good sense of just how large these spaceships are (fun fact, a Kent can fit in a Nara's large railgun barrels).

Another problem is having a sense of movement in space. This can be really hard because a static scene is a boring one. Nothing grabs the eye's attention or guides it anywhere. In the 5 or so seconds at the very start, the camera is moving towards the Toreador, but the ship isn't visible yet (unless you've got motion debris on, but I don't, so you don't matter). So its a plain scene then suddenly BAM, Narayana. An easy trick was to give the camera some very slow rotational motion. Not so much to put everything out of shot, just enough to make the stars move and give the sense of movement.

From Jupiter to Neptune

The cutscene was moving along well enough. It was, at the time, "finished". You can view this version here. You can see there's some dialog from Calder that was cut because while it did help set the stage so the player knows when this is supposed to take place, it also seemed to detract from the visuals that could speak for themselves. But then we found an "extended" version of the Icarus trailer music. This would later be the track that went on the official Human Revolution soundtrack. It was about a minute longer, and the cutscene was basically done but... What could we do with the extra time? Maybe... maybe show everything. The battle at Saturn, Calder's scuffle with Steele, the Eris feinting at Neptune... The dialogue could be cut, because we can see exactly when everything is taking place. Why, that's crazy. But crazy is our mantra. To make everything flow better, we would need to intercut scenes from other battles into the one already made. But that let us cut out weaker scenes from Jupiter and replace them with more exciting stuff from Saturn or Neptune. Alas we didn't end up using the extended edition anyway, there were enough scenes just to fill in the original trailer's length.

If you compare to two, you can see some scenes just got moved from one battle to another (like the beginning got moved to Saturn, the Marcus Glaive got moved to Neptune) and others just got replaced entirely (nearly all fighter-centric scenes were cut and for good reason. Fighters under their own AI SUCK in cutscenes.) It also gave everything a sense of simultaneous action throughout the Sol theatre that you often hear about, but can't really see. It also gave the mission some real complicated methods to keep everything on track.

Before...

After...

You can see by these pictures that we needed a LOT of ships. To try to keep things running semi-smoothly, we would only keep in game the ships that are in the cutscene. So those ships in the first scene, depart when we get to the second. And the ships in the second scene are cued to arrive one second before we're moving the camera down there. This loading and the game going "hey this is the first time I've seen this ship, I better pause for a tenth of a second" would still cause problems that would throw the carefully done music syncing out the window. So a lot of these ships are just duplicates, sometimes still occupying close to the same space from the last scene it was in to keep some continuity. But that was pretty much abandoned that near the end, the Eris and Serkr corvettes are in very different positions between their two scenes.

Wargods Delenda Est... Again

So the cutscene had to have parts of Delenda Est recreated. A lot of effort was spent into making sure that everything was exactly from the mission as possible. The Carthage's angle, the position of its escorts (according to their final waypoints), the far distance the Imperieuse arrives from. But some scenes needed a very quick cuts from one point in time to another, and going back to the same point would show the still fresh debris from a ship that was supposed to be destroyed minutes ago. So we just keep moving the scenes around to make sure nothing's in view. (Well, almost, there is a single Saturn scene where you can see the next scene's Imperiuse and doomed Wargods arrive in the distance before the shot is over).

The GTD Impy is now canon, as are its 2 sisters

But of course that all goes out the window with the Carthage just completely removed from some of the final Imperiuse-kills-Karunas scenes. This was mostly done to keep all the viewer's attention to the beams and stuff.

Also fun fact, only a handful of capital ships are actually moving in the cutscene. The warping GTVA ships is pretty much 90% of distance travelled by capital ships! A Toutatis and a Katana have some waypoint orders, but I suspect I could remove them and nothing would change.

Offline Doko

After seeing those Calder lines it makes me regret they weren't present in the final version, but after watching Icarus again on my computer I don't really mind it because the final product is just that good.
With that said IF Calder is killed at some point I do expect the same or better(is it even possible?) level of epicness.

Overall the intro is one of the best scifi action scenes I've ever seen. It deserves every praise known to man. Great job!

Offline -Norbert-

I'd vote for putting Calder's lines into the "Conversations from Tenebra" thread. They help to give you a bit more perspective on Calder's motivation for "Her finest hour".

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
I must admit, while I did of course recognize the "Delenda Est" scenes, it never occured to me that the rest we say was from the delay action. You should some of the dialogue again, especially when you aquire voice actors...
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Luis Dias

I was underwhelmed by the intro. Not technically. Technically it is an amazing feast that I only expect from the queue of modders that WiH2 aligned. However, narratively, it is a letdown.

So the first scene we see in WiH2 is .... basically the same thing we saw in Delenda Est plus what we already established was happening in Jupiter and Neptune?

Basically a "Previously in WiH!"?

I do agree that adding badass lines from Calder or Steele might have given something new to the scenes, but as they are they only seem "Wow" pieces that were designed to be "wowish".

All when it could be used to advance the narrative to a new setting. Pose a new question, pose a new frame of mind, something that placed gamers into the next chapter of the story, rather than a "meh seen this, so it's more of the same. k then".

And I was a little underwhelmed by the choice of the soundtrack. It's too ****ing iconic. Instead of me being amazed by what I am seeing that is novel, and feeling the music and so on, all that goes in my head is "What has Deus Ex to do with this?", and I knew right away, it depicts Wargods as Icarus, but it's too ****in literal. It's a wink wink that is not worth the unoriginality of it all.

To understand better my criticism, compare it with the cutscene in WiH1. It doesn't portray the original frigate being slashed to pieces by the 14th battlegroup in a WOWish angle. We had seen it, no need to rehash it. Instead it showed us a completely new battle with new issues, new problems, new themes, new questions. What a waste of time would have been spent in recreating the initial encounter between the GTVA and Sol at the end of AoA. Even worse if the soundtrack was something to the tune of something iconic as "Leaving Earth" by Mansell or anyother.

edit: After seeing the old intro, I have to say I disagree with Axem's take that it was repeting what we were already seeing.... because what it shows is more important than the fireworks. It shows the emotions behind the fireworks, culminating in Calder's frustration. (imagine WiH1 intro without the spoken words... can you?)

/Angry Rant
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 06:30:15 am by Luis Dias »

Both versions are great. I guess the solution is to let us watch both. :p

The only shot in the final product that rubbed me the wrong way was the one showing the Katana, Altan Orde, Insuperable, and Kyoto closing in on the Imperieuse and Hydra. Between the lack of visible motion and the UEF ships not firing, it looked more like they were patiently standing in line to get beamed than performing a delaying action.

I'd vote for putting Calder's lines into the "Conversations from Tenebra" thread. They help to give you a bit more perspective on Calder's motivation for "Her finest hour".
Seconded.

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business

Third'ed
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun