Author Topic: The Day After....  (Read 1134 times)

Offline redmenace

Originally posted by karajorma
And I'm going to reiterate my claim that the Spanish have a better claim on Israel than the Jews anyway if we're doing the going back to biblical times nonsense.

Fact is that there is no one who can claim to own any land anywhere except maybe in parts of Africa or the Pacific who didn't get it by pushing someone else out of the way.  

The rules go based on who is currently pushing not based on what happened years ago or you might as well give America back to the indians.
eh, considering tribal warfare, I doubt anyone there can claim any land as their own.

And even the rule of whoever is living there now is warped and they are enumerable situations where it would not work.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by redmenace
eh, considering tribal warfare, I doubt anyone there can claim any land as their own.

And even the rule of whoever is living there now is warped and they are enumerable situations where it would not work.

Which is why the original solution of splitting the land 50/50 is the only fair way to do things.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
While I'm here, and since we all seem to be talking sensibly, can I just ask about this....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3111727.stm

Just found it whilst browsing some messageboards and wondered about it?

That's a bit of an extreme measure isn't it? I've no doubt that Israel would be phenominally thorough in checking out the backgrounds of applicants anyway? In a way I can see the motivation behind it, but that isn't the solution, more a ticket to more problems.

Edit : I am assuming, possibly optimistically, that this is some kind of temporary measure until Israel can find a more efficient way of processing these claims?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 02:55:32 pm by 394 »

Offline Roanoke

seems odd applying that law to Palestinians only

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Flipside
While I'm here, and since we all seem to be talking sensibly, can I just ask about this....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3111727.stm

Just found it whilst browsing some messageboards and wondered about it?

That's a bit of an extreme measure isn't it? I've no doubt that Israel would be phenominally thorough in checking out the backgrounds of applicants anyway? In a way I can see the motivation behind it, but that isn't the solution, more a ticket to more problems.

Edit : I am assuming, possibly optimistically, that this is some kind of temporary measure until Israel can find a more efficient way of processing these claims?

The article actually explains the reasoning fairly well:

[q]But the minister in charge of relations with parliament, Gideon Ezra, has defended the bill on the grounds that 30 Israelis have been allegedly killed by Palestinians who gained citizenship and residency rights through marriage.[/q]

I have knowledge of this phenomenon from my army service. The only problems Arab Israelis faced (this was pre-2000-intifada) when passing through checkpoints was the fact that (yes, this is racial profiling) they "look" Arab. Which they are. But so do Palestinians. Which they are. Matter of fact, the ONLY difference between the Palestinians and the Arab-Israelis is legal/citizenship standing or whatever you want to term that - genetically/racially, they're the same. Some just happened to live in Israel.

ANYway... (how'd I get on that?) ...it was a known phenomenon that Palestinians try to marry Israeli Arabs in order to get citizenship, which gives them free passage through checkpoints, which opens the door wide for terrorism. It happened in the past, and is still happening now. Sucks to be caught red-handed, don't it?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Yeah, I read that passage in the report and suspected that was the reasoning, well, and the massive increase in mixed families that the recent clearing of settlements has caused being far more than your systems were equipped to recieve, an increase of several hundred percent in a few weeks.

As a member of a country where marrying for passports has been a known phenomenon (I myself know someone who was duped and dumped) I do understand that reasoning, oddly enough. However, I think blanket laws such as this can be a little dangerous, it punishes the innocent along with the guilty and the innocent won't forget that any more than the guilty will. And don't rely on understanding in this case from the innocent, attraction/love/lust is one of the most powerful human forces, and trying to stand between a couple like that can be a big risk to take. I noted also that this law was passed reluctantly, so I'm thinking that your government is aware of this too.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
It seems a bit - dare I say - racist to treat every Arab as a terrorist, though.  I understand the wish to keep Israel a predominately white (Jewish?) country (because that's the people that vote in the powerbrokers), but it's not really fair, is it?  After all, the territories are a complete ****ehole, it's sort of understandable people would want to leave simply to survive.

Offline redmenace

« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 06:42:24 pm by 887 »
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
What do you call an unarmed Arab?
Terrorist bastard!

What do you call an Arab with a rocket launcher aimed at you?
Mr. Arab.... Sir.

Yeah it's late and they're not so good...
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by aldo_14
It seems a bit - dare I say - racist to treat every Arab as a terrorist, though.  I understand the wish to keep Israel a predominately white (Jewish?) country (because that's the people that vote in the powerbrokers), but it's not really fair, is it?  After all, the territories are a complete ****ehole, it's sort of understandable people would want to leave simply to survive.

It's a fact of life, one that Westerners can't seem to comprehend very well: the majority of terrorism around the globe today is by Muslims, the vast majority of whom are Arabs. The terrorism directed at Israel is solely by Muslim Arabs.

Therefore, we have both racial profiling and behavioral profiling.

By the way, don't be mislead: we treat your "every Arab" as a terrorist suspect. If we treated someone like a terrorist, they'd most likely have a bullet in their head within a few seconds.

It has nothing to do with wanting to keep Israel Jewish, BTW, and everything to do with stemming the avenues of terrorism into Israeli cafes, streets, and wedding halls.

Originally posted by redmenace
http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtribune/05/front2453628.065972222.html
Boy, never saw this one coming :doubt:

****. I knew it was happening, but not in such large numbers. It's either gonna become civil war in there, with the Hamas and Islamic Jihad fighting the PA, or it's gonna be the ultimate breeding ground for terrorists to strike at Israel from.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill