Author Topic: Minecraft, Part 2  (Read 237767 times)

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
As the last thread reached critical mass at 200 pages, I've closed it and started a new one. The original can be found here (for reference:)

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=73227.0

This thread will encompass active play in Minecraft. Feel free to discuss the game, the server and so on but keep drama / personal issues to a minimum.

SERVER UPDATE 2018/02/01:

Oooooooooooooaky. Been a while. Things. I'm real sorry guys new EMR rollout to a 16k comp hospital is NOT fun.

1) No server is not dead, its copied and moved because my server rack is up! Copying the VMDKs to my server box now, then a quick config check to be sure it's on the right port, and then fire it up. I should be able to update it to the newest version as soon as I'm back from my workout, so within 8 hours of now.

2) New IP will be KG2Sys.com:25564. Yes this is personal hosted. No you don't need to worry about impacting the network. I'll add a nice pic to the bottom or something, but YES, it is on a RAID array and backed up, because I'm not a pleb. Need someone to edit that OP.

3) Man you guys don't like hitting people up on steam if there's problems. I know I got at least a couple of ya on there.

4) I'll be attempting to upload all copies of the HLP server(s) and providing download links. This one will be a while, as those are some big files.

Old server info:

Alright, we moved.

Server IP: 167.114.118.102
Server Port: 25565
Server Version: 1.8.6 (but will soon allow 1.7.10 and 1.6.4 to join for Forge servers)

New Server Selection Menu currently has 5 servers, 3 of them active;

Creative; Gamemode 1, no special powers, lots of TP.
Survival; Gamemode 0, no special powers, lots of TP.
Hard-light; Gamemode 0, you know what it's like.
Plots; 200x200 plots, full GM1 and Worldedit powers in plot. up to 4 claimable plots and they can merge. Coming soon.
Factions; GM0 PVP. Duh. Coming soon.

Other servers that may be available Eventually™;
Tekkit 1.6.4
Custom Forge Heavy Pack Creative on 1.7.10
Custom Forge Heavy Pack Survival on 1.7.10
Custom Forge Light Pack Survival on 1.7.10
All legacy worlds, from OCN, Vert, HLP and Play, on 1.8.6, GM3 only.
Kit PVP on 1.8.6
Minigames (IE, Quake, Spleef, etc) on 1.8.6
Hardcore on 1.8.6

Chat changed. All user now default to Global chat. Global chat is shared between every active world. It follows a simple chat format;

That gives you two buttons and a name before chat.  One lets you ignore the player quickly, and the other lets you msg them quickly;

In the case of Ignore player, if the user is Staff, it will instead be /helpop. At least on the Lobby (will expand) we allow unlimited use for Nicknames and nickname colors! Some things have been removed, namely player spam. We found better ways.

New Tab system. Looks like this now;

And I made you guys your own logo since you aren't under Vert anymore;

Don't kill me, I know it's not as nice as the real HLP logo...

Also, here are links for the old world for those so inclined:

Most recent version: http://bpmulti.fsmods.net/Kyad/Gargamel/gargamel.7z (1.6 GB)

TrashMan's stripped-down version: http://www.mediafire.com/?ca28p4ydcyjqso3 (170 MB)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 11:08:05 pm by Mongoose »

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
In other news, i've got a tekkit server running on minecraft.egzodus.com:25566

i have no clue how well or not it works so far, so instability might be around.

also, the technic launcher is failing epicly for me, at installing the tekkit stuff.
[edit]its broken due to 1.3.2 mc update, gotta wait for the downgrade patch to be punted. if anyone has the launcher working atm and can get into tekkit, do try, please.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 09:04:11 am by pecenipicek »
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
If anyone follows Etho, or anyone else on the Mindcrack server, they just started posting videos of a new Ultra Hardcore season.

For those of you who don't what that entails, the way they play ultra hardcore is basically a free-for-all match with no regenerating health. If you lose hearts, the only way to get them back is with golden apples and other stuff with special recipes to make them harder to obtain. In the case of golden apples, 8 gold ingots are require instead of nuggets.

Anyway, just wanted to gauge the interest in such competitive play here. 

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
No health regen seems a bit beyond most of the players here.  This isn't to say that we can't have competitive play, but it just won't be ultra hardcore.

Although, that does sound interesting to watch, thanks!

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Could be on another server. I have the feeling that most players here just want to build cool stuff while having just enough difficulty to not be completely frustrating, but may indulge more hardcore gameplay in a wholly different context. I do not know if we have the resources to host yet another server though.

Basically, build cool stuff on one side, play hardcore on the other side.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 09:46:14 am by MatthTheGeek »
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
A good compromise might be doing something unusual with the otherwise normal minecraft terrain, such as replacing all the water on the map with lava.  Those kind of changes add an extra element of danger without making it too difficult to build stuff.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
I agree that putting players under constant threat under regular basis while they build and explore in Minecraft is probably not what we're looking for.

What I meant by my original post was occasionally hosting matches where we get to vent some of our frustrations on each other show off some of our Minecraft skills with some friendly competitive play. :nervous:

Personally, I would never be able play on server any more than temporary that's filled with lava. I would just die every minute. :P

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
For that kind of competative play, this particular custom map immediately comes to mind.  Sure, we could spend time building an arena beforehand.  But if we don't wish to spend time doing that, there are custom maps for this sort of thing.

From a quick look of the map, this does seem like a fun mix of building, destroying, and PvP.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Yup, I was thinking of CTM maps, too. Those would be great for people who want more than straight up PvP like ultra hardcore.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken