Author Topic: Remeber the "Terrain Debate"?  (Read 9725 times)

Offline Kellan

• Down with pansy elves!
    • http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/blackwater
Remeber the "Terrain Debate"?
Surely that would mean all those damage factors wouldapply to other ships too - including poor old Alpha 1. :eek:

Why not just weaken the strength of an asteroid, instead? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Kellan
Surely that would mean all those damage factors wouldapply to other ships too - including poor old Alpha 1. :eek:

Why not just weaken the strength of an asteroid, instead? :rolleyes:

Actually, in FreeSpace 1, I did just that. It actually made the game more fun, since the caps were actually a challenging target. It was still quite possible to win, though.

In FreeSpace 2, however, the missions make lots of assumptions about the relative strength of capship weapons. As a result, some missions are trivial jokes, and others are impossible. :(

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by _argv[-1]
If you improve their weapons (by making flak guns do some appreciable damage, and by making laser pulses fly fast and hit hard), they will plow through asteroid fields with no problem.

Look in my siggy - the CapShip Turet Upgrade. :D
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by sandwich

I was looking just for this one post to come :lol:
SCREW CANON!

Originally posted by sandwich

I wondered if anyone else thought the cap weapons were exceedingly weak...

Offline Redfang

Flak isn't, beams aren't, but turrets are.

Also, in FS2 at least, capships don't shoot asteroids.

Originally posted by Redfang

Flak isn't, beams aren't, but turrets are.

Also, in FS2 at least, capships don't shoot asteroids.

Are you sure?! I could have sworn I saw the caps shooting at rocks... Could you make a quick mission with an asteroid field and see?

Originally posted by venom2506

there's a 60 km limit for the battelfield. if the model is larger, there's no way you can reach the edge.

that's a small, quite accidented one. no smooth mapping

real size earth :p

See, Venom got the right idea. its posisble. with a lil tweaking. BTW venom, can i have that wonderful land mass u created? would love to go shivan bashing in there!

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by deep_eyes

See, Venom got the right idea. its posisble. with a lil tweaking. BTW venom, can i have that wonderful land mass u created? would love to go shivan bashing in there!

I'm not even sure I have it anymore, besides, shivan tends to crash into it rather than fight you :p
SCREW CANON!

Offline Zeronet

• Hanger Man

I'm not even sure I have it anymore, besides, shivan tends to crash into it rather than fight you :p

Such are the limitations of the AI.
Got Ether?

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki

Let me just say this: Turbolasers r00l. ;)

ISD: 3    Ravana: 1

;7
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by GalacticEmperor

Let me just say this: Turbolasers r00l. ;)

ISD: 3    Ravana: 1

;7

her... BFRed rules:
Sathanas:4
ISD:0
:p
SCREW CANON!

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Also a trick Dark and I talked about back in the "good old days" was for .pof terrain like Venom's setting a waypoint far away and giving the model orders to move there. (and set the speed)

The end result is that the player is constantly "falling" (the problem with this is that if a mission lasts a few hours, it might push the player out of the mission zone boundary vertically, however in the experiments with it, this problem never occured and changes in mission boundary couldn't be detected)

It's actually a good effect to do gravity.

However with the sourcecode open, an edit in the engine wash code could lead to giving ships a gravity rating. (i.e. all ships emanate a type of "engine wash" that has a mass rating like with weapons, give a capship negative mass and it has a gravitational pull, give it positive and pushes you away) As it is I've gotten this trick to work with an engine subsystem, (ala the engine wash) with the sourcecode this could be made much easier to do.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2002, 05:36:13 pm by 72 »
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by Ace
Also a trick Dark and I talked about back in the "good old days" was for .pof terrain like Venom's setting a waypoint far away and giving the model orders to move there. (and set the speed)

The end result is that the player is constantly "falling" (the problem with this is that if a mission lasts a few hours, it might push the player out of the mission zone boundary vertically, however in the experiments with it, this problem never occured and changes in mission boundary couldn't be detected)

It's actually a good effect to do gravity.

I've had this idea too, but I discarded it for one reason: when you're supposed to fly horizontaly, you're still falling. You're obliged to fly "the nose up", and this is not cool :p
SCREW CANON!

her... BFRed rules:
Sathanas:4
ISD:0
:p

Her... BFGreen rules. Also, Sathanas is highly vulnerable to attacks from anywhere other than the front, where all the firepower is pointed. What a load. Even a small fleet of destroyers can take out a Sathanas with patience. (I know, I tested this.) Colossus has most of its firepower on the sides, and each main gun has a 180 degree firing angle, covering the front, rear, top, and bottom. Oh yeah, and did I mention BFGreen rules?

Colossus: 14
ISD: -1

ISD taking on the Colossus? Yeah, fat chance, captain.

The Colossus would have won Their Finest Hour, too, if it had BFGreens, engines, and full hull strength. If the Colossus had jumped out and jumped back in behind the Sathanas, it would have been a f*cking slaughter, too, since Sathanas needs to recharge its jump drives or turn around, and doesn't have nearly enough time to do either. But I digress. The point is the Colossus kicks large quantities of rear. 'Nuff said.

Offline Anaz

for some reason, I don't like supercaps...
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

AotD, DatDB, TVWP, LM. Ph34r.

You WILL go to warpstorm...

Offline Nico

• Venom

Her... BFGreen rules. Also, Sathanas is highly vulnerable to attacks from anywhere other than the front, where all the firepower is pointed. What a load. Even a small fleet of destroyers can take out a Sathanas with patience. (I know, I tested this.) Colossus has most of its firepower on the sides, and each main gun has a 180 degree firing angle, covering the front, rear, top, and bottom. Oh yeah, and did I mention BFGreen rules?

Colossus: 14
ISD: -1

ISD taking on the Colossus? Yeah, fat chance, captain.

The Colossus would have won Their Finest Hour, too, if it had BFGreens, engines, and full hull strength. If the Colossus had jumped out and jumped back in behind the Sathanas, it would have been a f*cking slaughter, too, since Sathanas needs to recharge its jump drives or turn around, and doesn't have nearly enough time to do either. But I digress. The point is the Colossus kicks large quantities of rear. 'Nuff said.

yeah, but the colossus is meant for war, the sathanas is... "checking the tbls"... the sathanas is an awacs :ha:
SCREW CANON!

yeah, but the colossus is meant for war, the sathanas is... "checking the tbls"... the sathanas is an awacs :ha:

Now that's one BIG freakin' AWACS. :eek:

BTW, shouldn't the Sathanas' AWACS hardware be in its sensor subsystem, and not in its comm subsystem?

Offline EdrickV

• Valued
    • http://members.aol.com/HunterComputers
I'll be surprised if we can get realistic atmospheric flight working under the FS2 engine (or through an "add-on" engine but seeing those images I just had go go make my own. :D

http://members.aol.com/EdrickV/FS2/BubbleWorld02.jpg
http://members.aol.com/EdrickV/FS2/BubbleWorld03.jpg
Ground - "Let me help you out, you're clear to taxi any way you can, to any runway you see."

Mesh Gallery/Downloads:
http://members.aol.com/ArisKalzar/Gallery.html
Turreting 101:
http://members.aol.com/EdrickV/FS2/Turreting.html

http://members.aol.com/HunterComputers

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
These terrain mods look awesome! :jaw: :jaw:

BTW, shouldn't the Sathanas' AWACS hardware be in its sensor subsystem, and not in its comm subsystem?

There are a lot of little bugs in the tables like this if you look carefully. ;)