Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program or "Rocket science is harder than it looks"  (Read 374372 times)

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
Re: Kerbal Space Program or "Rocket science is harder than it looks"
i dont see why they should conflict. (unless you try to use them at the same time, but meh)
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Another reason: Lazors is, frankly, a bloated mess. I mean really, a single mod which combines about 5 completely disparate sets of functions, all implemented in a way that doesn't make the slightest effort to integrate them with the game's universe?
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
i dont care much, i use the plane function and the blue lazors for the locations/navigation.
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
i dont see why they should conflict. (unless you try to use them at the same time, but meh)
MechJeb had problems with FAR due to altered flight physics. In FAR, control surfaces take a short while to move, for which most autopilots don't account for. It's own damping features should be fine though.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
I need to do asparagus staging on a lifter I've made.  So far it's just all-engines-balls-to-the-wall-but-use-your-own-tank.  It also tends to blow up spectacularly.

When people talk about how efficient it is... it's an understatement. With that super lifter setup I've gotten entire large space stations into orbit with one go and still had three full 3m tanks to spare.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
How do I do fuel transfers?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
ALT+Right click (or left, can't remember) on two tanks you want to transfer between.

right shift+right click on linux
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Enzo03

I've recently tried building spaceplanes. Do you have any advice on how not to make them yaw and fall off the runway before takeoff? I've been having that problem since making planes became possible.
Although 4 wheels was mentioned previously, my second shuttle design, which doubles as a plane, uses only three wheels.  I also stuck on an avionics package on it.  What I do is I turn the avionics package on before takeoff and simply hold S and it takes off perfectly.  It tends to take off best from 70ms~110ms from my experience.  Too fast and it has the exact problem that you have, where it veers off to the side and crashes spectacularly.

However, there are other designs I've made which do the same thing (crash) before reaching a good takeoff speed.  I think this often happened when I didn't have some sort of vertical stabilizer.

By the way, the only mods I use are things such as the should-be-a-feature Subassembly Saver/Loader Plugin and the Kerbal LifeFeed Passive Multiplayer Plugin, which don't affect actual simulation.  Though I've been thinking of getting Mechjeb to observe and learn how to rendezvous.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 10:31:54 am by Enzo03 »
21:20:19   SpardaSon21: "hey baby, want to get a good look at my AC/20?
21:20:26   Spoon: I'd hit it like the fist of steiner

Some people are like Slinkies.  They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
Well v0.20 just came out.

Needless to say, someone violated the Prime Directive, and Benedict Cumberbatch isn't the only person who can crash a spaceship into a planet!

[attachment deleted by ninja]
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
So the Greatest. Thing. Ever. has just been released for KSP, the Orion nuclear pulse propulsion drive.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/28428-Orion-aka-Ol-Boom-boom

This follows Freeman Dyson's rough specs. A single Orion stage can get into orbit with most of its playload intact (450/600 nuclear bombs) while lifting a comfy counter-rotating space-station sized ship with a lander and 12 docked rover probes.

It's also fitted with 24 NERVA engines for fine movement and they can take over as main engines.

[attachment deleted by ninja]
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 12:06:56 am by Ace »
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock

Well that just takes all the fun out of it, doesn't it?

Seriously though,  :jaw:

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
I adjusted the design to put four of the heavy landers on the spine under the solar array leaving the forward docking point free. It's actually even more stable now since the center of mass is more distributed. It also totals 350 tons.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 03:48:17 am by Ace »
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Well, after 319 days, not counting build time in LKO, my refueling station is finally at home above Laythe.

114 tons at this point, currently at 5361/8640 Liquid Fuel, and 638/2670 Mono Propellant. Should be able to fuel my Laythe explorations for a long time. It started the journey with four fuel pods instead of the three you see on there now, but I dropped the last one halfway through my interplanetary transfer burn for better dV.

Docked up with my interplanetary TIE Fighter-esque three-Kerbal shuttle. Next is to bring over a planetary lander and some ground facilities.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Well ain't that the mother of all fuel tankers? Consider me impressed.

I was going to get started on a major colonization project around Bop, but since saves will be broken with the update I don't see much point right now.
'yo my domestic skillets, who put swarm torpedoes on the Tev bombers?'
~Nighteyes

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
heres my joolship:

z spin for gravities

****ton of fuel. 4 man lander/rover on the front of the thing. ship weighs in at 693 tonnes. 918 parts, all stock, lags the game a lot. launched in 7 sections (3 fuel, 1 drive, 1 rcs, 1 habitat ring, and the lander) going to lathe, be back soon. oh and jeb is the captain.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 08:12:15 am by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Get this stuff on YouTube already!!
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
kerbals stick to the inner ring but they cant stand up and walk around. im also not certain my lander will be lathe friendly, as it only has 1 nuke engine. i also think i neglected to put any kind of power source on the ship. the lander had a couple small panels on it but thats all. the ship has way way too much rcs fuel. im trying to come up with a completely modular system, with the same spacing. so its just launch -> connect -> go. it kinda works so far, but i have had some problems with the build order. im starting to wish id put the ring in back so i could jettison empty fuel sections, but i derped in that reguard. its also going to take some complex fuel management because i think i put one of the fuel pods in backwards and its causing fuel to loop back over to one of the engine clusters. i wonder if i can join ring sections and build kerbylon 5, but the lag would be horrible. this new version makes these laggy ships much more tolerable though.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

1 Nerva probably doesn't have the TWR to lift itself of Laythe, although you can generally land there with any reasonably tough lander and some sacrificial lithobraking.

Also 0.21.1 is possibly the best update since 0.17.