Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program or "Rocket science is harder than it looks"  (Read 373703 times)

Offline Sololop

Re: Kerbal Space Program or "Rocket science is harder than it looks"
Lol yes, metres, not kilometers. That would be extravagant.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
You don't need to calculate anything for a Hohmann transfer - just learn to use the maneuver nodes. The only really tricky bit (and the only bit the game doesn't give you enough info to find out on your own without mods) is knowing when you have an easy transfer window that'll only cost a little delta-V.

But he needs to know (at least approximately) the total delta-V he needs for the mission, which means either finding it out by trial and error, or doing a few calculations to find out the required values, which should be the starting point for the craft design. In other words, "How much delta-V do I need for this or that stage of my mission?"

Launch is one thing, and possibly one of the greatest sources of error because sometimes, uh, launches can consume a lot more delta-V than you actually planned. So if you're doing a manned missions, you could try assembling your ship at Low Kerbin Orbit - not only will it be easier to calculate what you actually need from the craft, you can practice rendezvous!

Once you are on LKO just need to have your transit stage, habitat module, possibly separate lander and ascent modules, and return stage. In many cases, transit and return stages are the same on interplanetary voyages, but often you'll find yourself very far from home with a very small spaceship left, just like with the actual Apollo missions. When I (re)constructed my Saturn-Apollo proxy, I always wonder how the hell the small command module can have enough juice to get home from the Mun, but such are Newton's laws of motion and gravity. Interplanetary travel is slightly more challenging though.

In fact, I've never sent a kerbal further than Minmus, though I've sent unmanned probes quite far.

Nuclear rockets are very, very helpful. Chemical engines should in fact only be used for ascent and descent.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I've never sent a kerbal farther than minmus either.....

Deliberately    :(
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I've sent them further once or twice, but it was on Yogui's Icarus, a bit overpowered vessel, as far as they go. I've sent an unmanned probe to solar escape velocity, though. :)
Also, for those of you not afraid of mods, I've released an early beta version of the reworked Component Space Shuttle. Just in case you wondered what was keeping me off FS for a good part of last year. :)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I have done all-stock crewed return missions to every body in the system except Eve (and that only because I was too lazy to fix a dumb mistake after I landed) and a few of the lesser moons of Jool. It's not overwhelmingly tough once you get efficient rocket design down.

It's not overwhelmingly tough once you get efficient rocket design down.

I am literally the best at efficient rocket design:

Offline Sololop

Only 92m? Pff, when I get home, I can show off my 118m behemoth. ...lol

The joke is more that there are loads of largely useless SRBs on that thing.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
The newest trend in efficient rocket design: Asparagus SRB stacks.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Sololop

What's interesting is that I find the Rockomax Mainsail engine the best lifter, but it often completely rips apart my rockets unless I add a dozen or more structural rods, while I find adding like 10 Rockomax SRBS is fine? It's funny really.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
throttle down so the g meter stays in the green.

also screw efficiency, these are kerbals! i redneck everything, in that everything is a gas guzzling monstrosity.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 03:57:40 pm by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Sololop

Okay, so it's only 117m, and a tiny bit of that is from the Clamps, but hey. It's currently the largest rocket I've constructed, and so far has taken me to Eve.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Nine ion engines......on my probe.

Too slow :(
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
asteroid redirect mission is out, barring some horrible april fools joke.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Downloaded it, it's for real, or at least it seems so. :)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
decided that kerbin needed more muns.

made it on fumes thanks to a 9 year approach 3 gravity assists from mun, and an aerobreaking maneuver. wanted a more circular orbit, but ran out of gas (pe is ~400k ap is ~800k).
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 09:48:00 pm by Nuke »

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Did you manage to get your CH controllers to work in KSP? For me, they're all bricked upon starting up the game (it seems to intercept them before CM does it's job, depriving them of drivers).
Belay that, the problem was a bit more intricate, and linked to my finally upgrading to 7 from Vista (realized that my Uni not only provides the latest Windows 8.1, but 7 as well, and that I can install 7 like a service pack for Vista that it is :) ).

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
The game is 40% off on Steam until the 8th. Now may be a good time to grab the game if you haven't already.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Did you manage to get your CH controllers to work in KSP? For me, they're all bricked upon starting up the game (it seems to intercept them before CM does it's job, depriving them of drivers).
Belay that, the problem was a bit more intricate, and linked to my finally upgrading to 7 from Vista (realized that my Uni not only provides the latest Windows 8.1, but 7 as well, and that I can install 7 like a service pack for Vista that it is :) ).

they work but i really dont use them for anything but aircraft. orbiter was the same way, once out of the atmosphere i just used the keyboard. its because spacecraft are usually sluggish to rotate on rcs power, so its easier just to use keys, using timed burns. count off the spin up and then count off the same amount to spin down. i still like to keep the throttle on though. its useful especially for munar landings.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 11:07:45 am by Nuke »

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
I bnow own KSP. Yet another game to force my addiction to mods on...  :sigh:
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.