Author Topic: Beams vs Railguns  (Read 13100 times)

Offline Solatar

That's the targeting laser, an unfinished feature where you could call in an artillery strike with said laser. It's not the gun itself that is artillery in that case.

Offline Harbinger of DOOM

• Three fries short of a Happy Meal.
So it was similar to the TAG, but a laser?
aldo_14 ~ "The ego has landed."
an0n ~ "Wheee, I can spam and no-one will notice!"

Offline eliex

What is the targeting laser?  :confused:

What is the targeting laser?  :confused:

It's a weapon obtainable through cheating which really just makes a beep when fired. Probably, it was intended that you point it at something and then some Helios bombs beat the crap out of this something.
And this ain't no ****. But don't quote me for that one. - Mika

I shall rrreach worrrld domination!

I suspect antimatter might mix things up a bit. As it often does...

Strange matter for realguns would really be nasty. 
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
Strange matter
:wtf: What makes it strange?
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Strange matter
:wtf: What makes it strange?

Its strangeness value.

No joke.
And this ain't no ****. But don't quote me for that one. - Mika

I shall rrreach worrrld domination!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
It's quark-gluon plasma, instead of ordinary baryonic matter.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
what?? and I thought It was some kind of oversized chewing gum ball flying at high speeds
el hombre vicio...

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
what?? and I thought It was some kind of oversized chewing gum ball flying at high speeds

...and leaving a trail of light behind it? :drevil:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
mmm more like a trail of saliva.

I never understood why is that humans did not have proyectile weapons (like supercannons and that stuff)... I mean it should have been implemented in terran cap ships long before those plasma bubble things..

I mean explosive charges thrown through a cannon are more plausible, best the bubble stuff in speed surely, dont know about the total damage...but still the best course of accion would be to improve those.
el hombre vicio...

Offline eliex

The Terran marines till use projectile weaponry, like today's rifle as demonstrated in Hallfight, if I saw it correctly.

I wouldn't mind a metal shatterer that gets hurled into space, then explodes into metal fragments which (in space physics) will go at an extremely fast speed. Only problem is, a metal shard could rip through the ship which fired the weapon.  :)

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
The Terran marines till use projectile weaponry, like today's rifle as demonstrated in Hallfight, if I saw it correctly.

I wouldn't mind a metal shatterer that gets hurled into space, then explodes into metal fragments which (in space physics) will go at an extremely fast speed. Only problem is, a metal shard could rip through the ship which fired the weapon.  :)

but acording to some volition concepts cap ships hull was resistent to nuclear explotions so indirect fragments of the proyectile would not make that much harm... maybe to fighters, but I really think that a hardened proyectile fired at high speeds directly towards the cap hull will definitely get through it.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
but acording to some volition concepts cap ships hull was resistent to nuclear explotions so indirect fragments of the proyectile would not make that much harm... maybe to fighters, but I really think that a hardened proyectile fired at high speeds directly towards the cap hull will definitely get through it.

Perhaps the Tempest is a very good example of that.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
To be honest. I'd always pictured railguns to be high velocity weapons.

Also, keep in mind that the names of beam weapons are 'developer' names, so to speak, not in-universe names. Because the average retail player would probably not see the name of the beam, it stands to reason that naming the AAAf ... AAAf ... was just so the developers would know its an anti-aircraft beam.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
To be honest. I'd always pictured railguns to be high velocity weapons.

Well yes, because otherwise it would defeat the purpose.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Quote from: azile0
Slower, as they are projectiles, but have a large area damage from the explosion. They can fire rapidly, and can thus cover more area. Less of a potential for AAA, as I am seeing more of 'Upgraded Flak' cannons to swat away bombs. Also can be a longer range, provided you aim it right.
He doesn't think so.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
On that subject the Avenger is actually an autocannon.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
You know, because I played Starsiege and KKnD lots when young, I always pictured autocannons to be really fast firing weapons, that could punch through armor pop-sweet fast. Although, it wasn't so much as punch as perforate.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Quote from: azile0
Slower, as they are projectiles, but have a large area damage from the explosion. They can fire rapidly, and can thus cover more area. Less of a potential for AAA, as I am seeing more of 'Upgraded Flak' cannons to swat away bombs. Also can be a longer range, provided you aim it right.
He doesn't think so.

Well yes, a railgun is slower than a beam, because beams in FS are infinitely fast.

Also, I looked at some stuff in the retail tables, and I think the targeting laser was intended to be used with the subspace missile.