Author Topic: Blue Planet: The Battle Captains (Fan Campaign)  (Read 86186 times)

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Re: Blue Planet: The Battle Captains (Fan Campaign)
Patch 1.1 is out, fixing overloads and some other minor stuff.

Thanks for the positive feedback, everyone! I think you credit me with a bit too much mission-designing intelligence in some places; I mostly just tried one tactic when personally beta-ing the mission, but I'm thankful that the mission's gameplay fell into place so smoothly. Again, much thanks to Battuta for beta-ing and offering suggestions; without him, this mission would've been much more clunky.

the idea of health as Severanti's personal health on the bridge is excellent, btw

Actually, the red-out effect just automatically triggers after you've killed the bombers.

you can call in a support ship which docks with you but doesn't seem to do much.

Derp, fixed in the patch.

While I'm talking about destroying the Kiowa, I somehow managed to disable it once even though I thought I saw a ship-subsys-guardian-threshold on its engines?

Yeah, I dunno why the Kiowa's engines aren't guardianed properly. In the original narrative and my original mission design, it's SUPPOSED to survive, but when I noticed that it sometimes got disabled despite having guardianed its engines, I just decided to let you kill it.

And lastly, the afterburn option seems a little bit too powerful since you can maintain your top afterburn speed even when putting all power to weapons.
Good point. Maybe tie the afterburner's recharge speed to your ETS engine power?

This mission feels very FS2. It does a great job of capturing the gameplay atmosphere - the slower ROF and more direct tactics.

Well, it's a mission written with BP2-FS2 ships and weapons, in a more FS2-esque tactical situation, without Paveways and SSM strikes and beam jamming and all that WiH fanciness, so that's to be expected, I guess.

Quick note: You should remove the alpha channel from your bclogo.bmp since the launcher whines about it. (the message is "please make image 255x112" which isn't helpful given that it is in fact 255x112, but it can't handle bmp alpha)

Huh, I didn't have that problem when using wxLauncher, but I'll still remove that dratted alpha channel.

To everyone who couldn't fire the overloaded beams right: I admittedly should have tried to fix that up a bit more. I knew that they only sometimes fired successfully; they're finicky for some reason. Future releases won't have this problem; after all, blowing enemy warships apart with overloaded beam salvos should be the shining moment of controlling a GTVA capship! In the new patch, your overloads automatically fire when they're fully charged; after all, if you bothered overloading your beams, why would you NOT want to fire them?  :P

Remember to press Left CTRL to manually fire beams. I would've tied it to mouse clicks, or rather just added manual fire into the capship script as a firing mode, but FRED doesn't register mouse clicks, and I don't know how to use LUA.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline The Jovian

• I'm the Jovian.
Okay so let me get this straight, this is a fan campaign of a fan campaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii......

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
is all that we play or VOD
but a mod within a mod

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
can we consider this BP cannon then?
Stuff

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
Ah heard of Volition cannon, but I ain't never seen BP cannon before!
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Well, it is a thing now.

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]

Offline crizza

Awesome mission.
How does the command ship script work by the way?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
With LUA - you can open it up and check it out if you're fluent. What exactly are you curious about? I can try to give a broad explanation of individual features.

Offline crizza

What about a "How to create your own capship mission" tutorial?
I'm toying around with some ideas, to get into fredding and most importantly FREDing.
I've send The E a docuent concerning a rough story outline, now I'm trying to smooth things up ad watching Blender tutorials.

can we consider this BP cannon then?

who gives a **** about canon, just believe whatever makes the story most interesting for you
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline QuakeIV

• test
Very well designed.  I have always wanted to command a Deimos,  or other such warships, and that was a very satisfactory way of doing it.  It had most of the normal Deimos performance characteristics.  No silly entire frigates outmaneuvering some great war era strike craft.

The only thing I would note is I was expecting much more ridiculous odds stacked against me than what I ended up getting, that may just be BP ptsd though.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The Karuna's handling in TBI is more or less the same as a stock Karuna. They've always been agile.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Try plugging a Diomedes or a Fenris in the script sometime - their handling is amusingly good.

Offline QuakeIV

• test
Point being, this felt more like a warship and less like a three kilometer strike craft covered in turrets.

Not that TBI wasn't fun mind you, I have replayed that mission many times due to extreme awesome.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
I'm toying around with some ideas, to get into fredding and most importantly FREDing.
I've send The E a docuent concerning a rough story outline, now I'm trying to smooth things up ad watching Blender tutorials.

I've written up a player-flyable capship modding tutorial.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."

Offline crizza

I've written up a player-flyable capship modding tutorial.
I already read it. Thinking about an Aeolus mission, set during the evacuation of Capella. Always outnumbered - Never outguned :D

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Overloaded Orion Beam Broadsides FTW. :nod:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Uuuugh, I can't wait to play that.

Control of an Orion? Oh YES PLEASE! :D
Previous Projects: Ancient-Shivan War | GTF Durandal

Current Projects: Exile: Into The Dark Waters (Proof-editing/misc)

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Oy, they take over a minute to turn I believe