Author Topic: New release too dark?  (Read 1664 times)

I just played through the first part of War in Heaven and I noticed that the lighting is even darker now. Even in missions like Delenda Est (where it was fine before) you now only see dark shapes of the ships. I could barely see the new Titan model for example. I mean you have beautiful ships, but far too often they are not really visible to the player. A shame, I think.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
We cranked up the lighting. I feel like there must be a bug here.

Check your launcher lighting settings?

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
Set ambient factor in launcher to something between 150 and 200, that should brighten it back up.
My settings:
Code: [Select]
-no_emissive_light -ambient_factor 175 -spec_exp 5 -spec_point 0.5 -spec_static 1.0 -spec_tube 2.0 -ogl_spec 50 -bloom_intensity 75
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Alrighty I disabled the Baseline recommended settings, and pasted in those you gave me. Awwwh
So much better. Only downside is... now I have to play the campaign again  :lol:

Thanks for the help, guys.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
If you dont want it to be dark, then dont use the -no_emissive_light line that blount is recommending there
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Yeah I'll just go with modified baseline settings, raised ambient_factor to 120 (instead of 75 by default). That works best for me.

But it's still weird that it got darker in the first place, although GB said they improved the lighting. I didn't change anything on my side...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 12:06:06 pm by Pacman110 »

Offline Kolgena

Interesting. I've just applied the settings and it looks better. I also think that deferred lighting on/off results in a significantly different picture in terms of baseline ambient light, etc.

I also recall that ambient_factor used to do nothing for the old WiH release. I'm guessing ambient light was set to 0 or something so that the launcher flag couldn't scale it up.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Thank you for this awesome game!  However, I am having issues with this being so dark as well.  As you can see from the screenshot, you can barely see the Triton and the two drones from the 2nd training mission of FreeSpace Blue.  If I fly around to the lighted side, they are gorgeous!

I'm using wxLauncher 0.10.1.  I don't recall my original custom flag settings, but I tried Blount's (minus the "-no_emissive_light") and then none at all, but none made a difference on how the game looks to me.  I am attaching my FS2 open log, in case that helps.

FS2_open_log

Thanks for the game, and for your help!  Hopefully I am just doing something dumb.  :)
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
Your ambient factor is at 75, which is about the level of light in your screenshot. Try boosting it to 150 or higher.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Thanks; it works now!! 

I finally realized what I was doing wrong.  I haven't ever played around with custom flags before, so I was just typing "-ambient_factor 150".  The current command line then showed both 75 and 150, and the log showed only 75.  But once I selected "baseline recommended" and clicked "copy selected preset to custom flags" and then changed the ambient factor, it applied correctly and I could see the ships! 
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.