Author Topic: Green Narayana in game?  (Read 2529 times)

Green Narayana in game?
Hi,

I finally decided to take some time to organize this post. Yes, there is a graphical bug in my new Blue Planet installation and it only concerns the Narayana frigate. It seems that there is something wrong with its shader. As a default in the tech room, it shows up as "blue" and in-game is shows as completely "green" (probably combination of yellow from the sun and blue). So far, Narayana is the only ship with this shader bug, and there are no errors when running the debug build.

This is how it looks in the tech room:

In the previous Blue Planet installation it looked "normal".

This is how it looks in-game (screenshot taken from massive battle, but it still looks green in every other mission too):

Attention! It still looks green even if there are no beams around. Every other GTVA and UEF ship looks normal when there is no action.

I'm using the latest Blue planet files, latest drivers for Geforce Gtx 780 and the latest nightly build for FSO. Log file where I look around in tech room is attached in the post.

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Re: Green Narayana in game?
This sounds like an issue with team colors. Do other UEF capships have this issue?
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
I get this as well and yes, the Karuna and Solaris also have this issue. It's specifically an issue with team color glows. For some reason FSO thinks there is an alpha channel even though there isn't. I'm currently looking into it.

Edit: It appears to only be an issue with DXT1. Taking a further look into the code to see how it treats that compression format.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 03:14:01 pm by DahBlount »
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

I have the same issue. But mine never turns green, it's always blue. And it only affects the Narayana, not the Karuna and Solaris for me.

I first noticed this on the Masyaf - it looked OK in the ending scene of Act 2 and tan it became blue in the Dreamscape. Well, since it's dreamscape I thought that it's supposed to look that way  :)

Now I realized that I switched the build between acts 2 and 3. So I tested it and the thing happened somewhere between builds e36e9ff and 7badc4d.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
One of these probably.

...For some reason FSO thinks there is an alpha channel even though there isn't. I'm currently looking into it.

This little sucker thinks that anything with 32 bits-per-pixel has an alpha channel (except PCX files, but not relevant here). If team colour glows are now using (& saving?) the alpha channel of the -misc texture could that be tripping FSO up (although I must admit that I can't see how changing the shader would affect whatever might be calling that function?)

Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
Hmm, so bm_has_alpha_channel() only assumes PCX files don't have alpha channels? That's a little odd considering DXT1 has no explicit or interpolated alpha unless you export it with 1 bit alpha (where 0 is black, 1 is white, it can only be one or the other, no value in between). In fact, it's not always 24(25)-bits in depth, since it can be either 4 bpp or 8 bpp depending on the export options. With this, only DXT3 and DXT5 will allow us to make the alpha channel 0 so as to avoid this issue. If you need a fix for right now, just put these into your bpcomplete/data folder.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
After I slept on it I think that bm_has_alpha_channel() is probably irrelevant.  However, if a DXT1 map (without alpha) is "passed" to the team colours shader, what is the shader going to treat the alpha value as being? i.e. what's the default?  Prior to the changes that didn't matter since only the red/green channels were used.  Maybe the fix is as simple as changing the shaders (or the shaders input) default to be fully opaque (or whatever the map needs to be in order for there to be no team colour displaying)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
FYI, Swifty has fixed this issue, and the fix should be in the next nightly.
----
----

I tested the new nightly and can confirm, it's fixed. Thank you very much =)