Author Topic: (WIP) A Gift to Blue Planet  (Read 10295 times)

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Re: (WIP) A Gift to Blue Planet
Looking bloody gorgeous must say Veng. Dunno what it is but for some reason the dome cockpits just work (which is odd because I would've said go for the flat ones originally to make it like the Uriel). Your rounded cockpits are beauties btw :).

For some reason when importing BP models into 3DS Max they come out about half the size they should be as listed in tech entries.
This is a pure wild amateur guess so likely wrong, but I get a similar issue using Blender and I wonder if it's the same thing. Is there an 'import units' option or the like in the options for importing? It may be the default units for 3DS is not metres so it's shrinking the model when it imports it.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 01:30:23 pm by T-Man »
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeeeeaaaaah, I am not really a fan of the Hind cockpit. But it does look way better than the previous mishmash of styles.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

All segmented looks best by a mile, go with it and don't look back.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Darius

Agreed. Hind cockpit is unique and cool but the dual Apache cockpits flow better with the ship's lines.

Offline Axem

*Axem slips Vengeance a $20 bill*

See that the dank space hind finds its way to my dank space garage. :pimp:

*Axem slips Vengeance a $20 bill*

See that the dank space hind finds its way to my dank space garage. :pimp:

Well it's something I was too groggy to point out in the original post but there are 3 'variants' planned of sorts. The original production (flat cockpit), Lao Tze (slightly different), and a stripped down version produced during the war called the B1. The B1 could have a more... bubbly cockpit heh. Updates will be slow this weekend as I have to work into the nights. I believe the only thing left to phyiscially model is the whole cannon assembly then the low poly work begins. I plan on obtaining something special for this project after my next paycheck.
I have created a masterpiece.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
I like the bubblz.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage
Let's mash these cockpits up a bit as I'm now curious...

We've seen dual bubbles and dual segmented. We saw the original design with a bubbled rear and segmented front... so you now know what I am going to say next!

Yep... what would it look like with a bubbled front and a segmented rear?

There is a tactical reason for doing this which would be so the pilots view isn't obscured and the segmented view of the co-pilot would make target spots more instinctive.

Finally from me... is it me or does the profile of this fighter quite large? I think this would be easy pickings in a dogfight!

Nice job though!  :yes:
I do not feel... I think!

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I love it! If I may make a suggestion though, I think the front profile would look better if the missiles were angled/parallel with the wings they're mounted on instead of just going straight down.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Yay I made it onto the monthly newsletter! *squees like schoolgirl* Okay that was awkward.

I've made more progress! Though let's see..

@Gee1337
Well I'll have to look into alternate cockpit designs for the other variants, it might be fun for that to be the one difference between the models <.>;
It's profile is a bit large somewhat, I haven't yet fully tested the proper proportions though being smaller and faster than a Uriel might help it. Plus.... the gigantic nose cannon will likely like to ask GTVA pilots a few questions if they choose to come in close. Still I imagine it's typical strategy at this point to attack UEF assets from the top or bottom by now.

@Hades
I actually tested that. It turned out rather.... weird XD. Plus the Jackhammer compatible launcher is connected directly to a vertical piece at the end of the upper wing. Aesthetically speaking, I originally planned it to be pointed down to give it the feeling of weight. I have no idea how the team were able to plant weapon pods in the first place yet so I decided not to risk it XD.

You've reached the end of my post? Awesome, have a cookie! The high-poly model is done, about 1.2 million triangles. Again the point of the high poly is to create smooth seams and shaded, chamfered edges. Modeling out each individual plate wouldn't have been very viable at my current skill level. I'll be painting in the plate texture by hand once I finish the rest.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 12:40:07 am by Vengence »

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I see an "astromech droid" at the centre of the ship. What's that for?
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

I see an "astromech droid" at the centre of the ship. What's that for?

Taking a random guess and saying its a Radome.

Offline Aesaar

This thing looks ****ing cool.

I love it! If I may make a suggestion though, I think the front profile would look better if the missiles were angled/parallel with the wings they're mounted on instead of just going straight down.
Can't be done with the way external weapon models are implemented in the engine ATM.

Unless something changed in the last 4 months.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Not AFAIK, but having a model meant to take advantage of that would probably be a good way to make it finally get done.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Been a while, constantly busy. I kind of jumped the ball there but good news is that the low poly model is just about done. All that is left is essentially the actual thruster nozzles. After that comes UV Unwrapping which I suppose I might as well ask a question:

It's been a while since I've modded FS2 and so the technical limitations are a bit fuzzy in my memory. Lately I've been doing 2:1 ratio UVs so that I don't have to quadruple file size of a texture. A 4096x2048 base file could probably have more than enough space to fit the whole model within reason without committing to a full on 4k texture. However I am familiar a lot of game engines hates anything not a 1:1 ratio. So what's your thoughts on 2:1 or stranger texture ratios?

If 2:1 is a no go then I'll just commit to a large 1:1, might as well make full use of a large texture that way though it'd probably murderize memory or compromise the UV resolution. Will cross that bridge when I come to it.

As for the Astromech, I'm not sure specifically on the term of radome but it's basically a camera/sensor sphere. Part of the bling the lore references that the fighter has kickass sensory awareness.

Current polycount is just below 10k. For perspective the old Blizzard fighter (former Lao Tze) is 13k, As it stands this fighter is better aesthetically while using fewer resources. Epic. The cockpit will likely spike the polycount much higher but hey.... it's the cockpit.

EDIT: By the way guys, which seat do you think the pilot should be in? Front or back? I personally designed it for the pilot to be front but I'd like your thoughts.

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 11:40:03 pm by Vengence »

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I'm used to seeing the pilot at the front, so the first reply that come to my head was "Put the pilot at the back." Additional excuses for putting the pilot at the back include better spatial awareness and fewer G-forces in effect.

In hindsight, however, put the pilot at the front would probably make it easier to aim the nose cannon.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 01:07:05 am by Androgeos Exeunt »
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's been a while since I've modded FS2 and so the technical limitations are a bit fuzzy in my memory. Lately I've been doing 2:1 ratio UVs so that I don't have to quadruple file size of a texture. A 4096x2048 base file could probably have more than enough space to fit the whole model within reason without committing to a full on 4k texture. However I am familiar a lot of game engines hates anything not a 1:1 ratio. So what's your thoughts on 2:1 or stranger texture ratios?

Not an issue for FSO.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline --Steve-O--

• I might be the last man on earth to use TS3.2
ok i seriously love this thing. keep it up.
on  a side note..... the MI-24 cockpit is what inspired the uriel/waith cockpits. fun behind the scene fact.
"And so they dwelled in filth, on worlds made of dirt and feces, and there they lay until they stumbled into the skies." --the Mad Prophet