Author Topic: Destroyers in Act 4  (Read 16102 times)

Offline CT27

It's been a while since I played the end of Tenebra, but I believe one of the debriefings said that Steele's attack on Earth will be within a week.  With the GTVA bringing in more destroyers I think it's fair to guess we'll see some destroyer on destroyer action in the next WIH act released.

Losing a destroyer is a major deal in FS campaigns.  Do you think either side will lose one?

My prediction is that both the GTVA and UEF will lose one.  I don't know which one it will be for the GTVA (not the Atreus though) and my guess will be either the Toutatis or Eris for the UEF.

The Toutatis would probably have more shock value, but the Eris seems the more "expendable", story-wise.
The Solaris seems unlikely, I can't see Byrne getting in position that would allow the GTVA to kill such a vital asset.

Spoiler:
IIRC, the new final cutscene of Tenebra shows the Eris being hit by the 3 main beams of a Titan-class destroyer. Even with ECM damage mitigation, that's gotta hurt.

On the GTVA side, I'd say the Imperieuse would be a likely target, to give the player another payback opportunity.

There's a video on Youtube showing off a duel between
Spoiler:
the Eris and Toutatis against the Atreus.

I have a feeling the Eris will go down because we know next to nothing about it, haven't actually seen it, and I'd imagine Calder is necessary for Laporte's end run scenario.

As for Steele's attack on Earth, in the current end cutscene of Tenebra we see some of it play out. Steele jumps the Cassandra-predictive gun and, while we don't know the result just yet, I'd say it looks bad for the UEF.

I'm more concerned about that new GTVA heavy bomber seen engaging the Masyaf in the ending cutscene

I'm more concerned about that new GTVA heavy bomber seen engaging the Masyaf in the ending cutscene

I can't be the only one who is hoping that she's not a free-floating cloud of Narayana debris, right?

Offline CT27

If the GTVA loses a destroyer my guess is it will be a Hecate.

I can't be the only one who is hoping that she's not a free-floating cloud of Narayana debris, right?

I'd assume she'd be damaged and forced to retreat, I can't imagine the Fedayeen losing the Masyaf that easily, but who knows honestly.

Offline QuakeIV

• test

You aren't the only one.

I'm pretty sure the Masyaf is dead; the ending cutscene of Tenebra shows Steele launching the all-out attack prematurely because he knows about CASSANDRA and needs to throw off its predictions. He needs it dead and he'll get it dead.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Wait, how does Steele know about CASSANDRA? Or is that just a working theory right now

Hmm. Battuta hinted at it pretty explicitly once, IDK about evidence in the text.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

I'm pretty sure the Masyaf is dead; the ending cutscene of Tenebra shows Steele launching the all-out attack prematurely because he knows about CASSANDRA and needs to throw off its predictions. He needs it dead and he'll get it dead.

That was exactly my thought, yeah. Sure, Steele's going all-in but I also think he'd just be happy with knocking CASSANDRA off the board.

Wait, how does Steele know about CASSANDRA? Or is that just a working theory right now

Hmm. Battuta hinted at it pretty explicitly once, IDK about evidence in the text.

I think it was mentioned on the forums. Something like 'If you'd just found out that your enemies had a predictive supercomputer, you'd move your plans forward'.

Steele's canny and he's just suffered a string of improbable defeats, after all.

Offline CT27

As far as destroyers in Act 4 go, what do you think Steele will be doing with the Atreus?

As far as destroyers in Act 4 go, what do you think Steele will be doing with the Atreus?

Magnificent bastardry?

Magnificent bastardry?

Most likely, with a dash of gentlemanly psychopathy thrown in for good measure, I should think.

Offline crizza

Guess Steele will stay put and use the Atreus as a jump5 unit... or for finishing up Calder.

The Atreus is basically built to constantly jump between the thick of multiple battles, holding back in reserve is what Titans are for.

Offline crizza

That's what I meant.
Steele will supervise the greater battle, jumping from fight to fight to make a difference.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
I'd love to see one of Tev TEI destroyers having its engines reduced to scrap metal thanks to a Naranyana point-jumping right behind it... Look at The Darkest Hour - a single salvo from two of these frigates can hurt even the almighty Atreus...
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Aesaar

Engines on TEI destroyers tend to be extremely well armored.