Author Topic: [Release (0.6.3)] NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface  (Read 22094 times)

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Re: [DEMO Release (0.2.1)] NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface
I have finished the main development for Version 0.3 yesterday. This means, that Act 2 is done.

German Translation is also finished. And Achille got the strings, so that the french translation is ready to use right at 0.3's release.

Now i am working on the integration of the spanish and japanese translation for the act 2 missions.

I decided to include the timeline from the german translation that is used in Command Briefings into the untranslated missions aswell. It really does not matter much as the normal variant is still available via MVPs.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Nice work! Don't forget to pimp this on German and French websites.  :yes:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Nice work! Don't forget to pimp this on German and French websites.  :yes:

Well, as this one is still WIP i post only some status reports on a german freespace forum, which is dormant apart my activity, Twitter and some Discords. Releases are at least features on a ModDB page.

Maybe after 1.0 is finished i try it again to get a news article on some german gaming sites like i got for the now-infamous Between the Ashes translation aswell the Silent Threat: Reborn one back then.

But right now, the FS2 NTP is only 36% complete. There is still much work to do.
Even i am looking forward that i can release any version after 0.4 much faster, as i am finished with the integration of the japanese translation then.
This one slows me down as it is hard to adapt and to correct the formatting of a language you absolutely have no feel for.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Re: [Release (0.3)] NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface
UPDATE
Can present Version 0.3. Which includes so far all languages from 0.2.1.

CHANGELOG:
- The player is now addressed by its rank where it fits.
- Some formatting and spell fixes.
- Added the whole second Act of the FreeSpace 2 Main Campaign. (Also known as FreeSpace 2: Endgame)
- Added the Subtitle files for the two Act 2 Cutscenes.
- Date & Location Information from the original german translation are present by default now. So the campaign in this version begins now at 11th May 2367 terran calendar and ends at 6th Epip 7859 vasudan calendar.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
You should definitely get in touch with a lurking community member who has done something similar for another language. I'm redirecting him to this thread, and who knows, maybe I can finally convince him to create a HLP account.  :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
A HLP account is not necessary as i have also Twitter or Discord :D I also have still an active ICQ account ^^.

Well, in the depths of the web i found something about a Portugese Translation, but well, all research about it yield nothing. So i assume it was never released.

There exist an italian FSPort translation, but did not find nothing about a FS2 one. The same is with Polish which was even released officially for The Great War & Silent Threat... but nothing for FS2 as it seems. So both languages are not covered right now, as i am still in FS2.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 06:53:45 am by Novachen »

Hi Novachen,

I have the Italian version (text and voice) of these mods:

AftermathReboot-1.0.0
Babylon-3.6.2
battlestar_galactica
blueplanetcomplete-1.0.6
BtRL-1.0.0
revenge-1.1.0-BETA8
Silent_Threat_Reborn_1.4.2
Solaris-1.0.15
Wing_Commander_Saga

and the all original missions.

I have used syntheic voices and part of work is a semi-automatic translation that need a bit revision.

Can be usufull ?

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
That is quite an impressive list   :shaking:
Especially because most of the campaigns are long as hell.

I hope NTP will cover all of them someday. But i am not a dreamer, it will take years to that.

I sent you a PM :). Would like that you create an italian translation with the developer package yourself. As this would make things much easier for me.
I am interested in all of it, however. Even for the case, if you are not available anymore. Then i can work on the translations myself just in case.

Hi Novachen,

First of all happy new year !! with a bit af delay sorry ....

About your last post I don't understant what you mean developer package.

However just to inform it this work was done by a software created by me in C#, that automatically do all (translate text and voice).

After this I have done a random review of part of work to fix manually the errors.

But becouse now the amazon TTS (Text-to-Speech) service was expired I can't work on voice.

Have a nice day !

Marco

« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 09:39:04 am by marco111 »

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Re: [Release (0.4)] NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface
UPDATE
Another release. This finish up the FreeSpace 2 Main Campaign 🥳.
This will be the last version that have new japanese strings that were added by myself, as the files from the japanese translation project are exhausted now. There is nothing more i can integrate.
So it is up to our japanese speaking members now 😉

Changelog:
• MediaVPs 4.4.X compatibility.
• Fixed some critical errors in the Japanese translation, that caused that it was not launchable at all 😳.
• Several spelling fixes in the German aswell Spanish translation.
• Added the whole third Act of the FreeSpace 2 Main Campaign, which is also known as FreeSpace 2: Exodus. -> Campaign complete!
• The campaign take place from 11th May 2367 to 5th August 2367. (Or 30th Paremoude 7859 to 26th Epip 7859 in vasudan calendar)
• Subtitle Files for the five Act 3 Cutscenes.
• As the HD Main Halls are now somekind of official MVP extension, the campaign was prepared that five of them are used.

Check out the Opening Post for further information.

Knossos release will follow in the course of the weekend. Most likely tomorrow.
EDIT: Knossos version was uploaded and should be available now.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 06:13:12 am by Novachen »

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Re: [Release (0.4.1)] NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface
Well, released a small fix for the EFGIS language package.

Changelog:
• In 0.4 one important file decided to keep the social distancing and did not wanted to be in a package with others due to COVID.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 06:43:51 pm by Novachen »

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Re: [Release (0.4.2)] NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface
Another small update.

Changelog:
• Added the Aquitaine Nebula Mainhall into the Campaign. Aswell i took over changes from MediaVPs 4.4.1 tables that are relevant for NTP.

The manual downloadable and so standalone launchable 0.4.2 developer package is available only on my Google Drive for the time being.
FSFiles seems to have some issues regarding larger files lately. My FSFiles repository terminates my upload constantly.

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Re: [Release (0.5)] NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface
Update
A new version with 0.5, this one includes a complete new campaign in a whole :).
Have fun with the three missions of the "FreeSpace 2: Demo" campaign.
Spanish & Japanese is listed as "partially" in the translation table in the Opening Post for this campaign because the first of the three missions is mostly translated, as it uses strings from FreeSpace 2 Main Campaign.

Changelog:
• SM3-02 caused a crash with the French language setting in Version 0.4.X.
• The Iceni was not present in SM3-03 due to a wrong Arrival Cue that activated itself in the resave of the mission for NTP translation.
• Added the FreeSpace 2: Demo Campaign. -> Campaign complete!
• This campaign take place between 13th June 2367 through 22th June 2367. (Or 3rd Paoni 7859 to 12th Paoni 7859 in vasudan calendar)
• Added the Voice Files for the Demo Missions.
• Added a nameplate for the GTC Adamant.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 02:19:24 pm by Novachen »

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Due to some personal issues further development is only very slow, right now.
However there are also some great news, in the depths of FRED2 i also found the possibility to make Jump Nodes translateable in-mission. As the spanish translation used the spanish names of all the star systems originally (or to say partially, as they were not translated in every mission, which looks more like an oversight), they can now be properly integrated.

So, elements that are not translateable in a mission right now are Wing Names and the name of the Support Ship. But well, i hope that will be possible in some future :).

Well, i am not sure if i should post it here, but well, as i announced on Twitter already, i started a NTP video playthrough series on my YouTube channel. I am playing through the FreeSpace 2 Main Campaign on Insane difficulty with the german language setting and i am using the current InDev versions of NTP Version 0.6. So there are some background info in the video descriptions aswell :).
This video series does not only serve for hunting of remaining bugs (i simple see much more issues if i can watch only), but also for promotional reasons so that people know outside of HLP, that such mod actually exists... and well, and of course to have some NTP video material on YT.

NTP 0.6: FreeSpace 2 [German] Playlist
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 02:39:04 pm by Novachen »

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Well, today the last playthrough video will be published for the time being @ 8 PM GMT+1.

Because of circumstances i have to do a break. So the last mission of Act 1 is the last before the break.
I hope to be able to pick it up again in one or two weeks, so that the Act 2 Playthrough still continue in March.

Well, at least it was very helpful, to find some errors, also to find out that some missions with current data are not working as flawless as they did in Retail.
Also some $quote tags in the text broke the Byte Limit without any error message. So i was forced to replace them with Guillemets, as these are the only allowed quotation marks in German that fit in one byte.

Right now i am thinking about to release a 0.5.1 update that contains the fixes i have done so far.
Alternatively i could simple hold them back to release them together with Operation Templar in 0.6.

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Some news :).

Due to recent developments, the development of Version 0.6 will take longer, as it tends to be the biggest update yet.
Next to some mission fixes, i encountered during my playthrough and the already announced Operation Templar campaign as a new addition, there will be actually two(!) whole new languages for NTP.
That means, that you will be able to experience at least the FreeSpace 2 Main Campaign in 7 languages.

The implementation and some tests will take a while, though.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 05:39:38 am by Novachen »

Hi friends,

I have been playing Free Space since it was originally released. Then I enjoyed so much all the stuff this great community does with the release of the code. Yesterday, looking at the mod database I found this NTP great Mod (thanks for release it) but... I can't figure how to change the game to Spanish after installing the mod. Could someone please point and help me how to select the Spanish language for Free Space? Yesterday I was reading the NTP thread on this forum, searching in internet, and looking all around the Knossos interface, but still no luck :( How can I change language using NTP? Is there any how-to? Thanks in advance!

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Knossos does not support languages, that are not supported by retail, at least right now.

So you have to change to spanish manually.

So, you can use my Language Selector for that, which should even work without any extraction, or you go to the folder %appdata%/HardLightProductions/FreeSpaceOpen and open the file fs2open.ini with Notepad(++).

There should be a "Language=" entry, you have to change to Language=Spanish.
Is there none, you have to add it in the [Default] segment.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 04:22:53 am by Novachen »

Knossos does not support languages, that are not supported by retail, at least right now.

So, you can use my Language Selector for that, which should even work without any extraction, or you go to the folder %appdata%/HardLightProductions/FreeSpaceOpen and open the file fs2open.ini with Notepad(++).

Thank you very much for your answer! But I´m afraid I have no fs2open.ini and your program only shows as available Gernan & English languages :( Is there any more I could do?

Oh I forget. Knossos automatically installed FreeSpaceOpen in C:/Games/FreeSpaceOpen and there are "bin" "FS2" & "temp" folders. I don´t know if this could help...

Offline Novachen

• Twitter

Thank you very much for your answer! But I´m afraid I have no fs2open.ini and your program only shows as available Gernan & English languages :( Is there any more I could do?

Oh I forget. Knossos automatically installed FreeSpaceOpen in C:/Games/FreeSpaceOpen and there are "bin" "FS2" & "temp" folders. I don´t know if this could help...

Nope, only the user interface of the program is english or german, which should be obvious ( :confused: ) as the first selection talks about program language and not about game language in the first place.
After that initial selection, you can select the game language.
Your lack of faith is disturbing :lol:. As i had set up this whole thing, you can be sure, that you are able to change the language into spanish with the methods i mention here.

No, the fs2open.ini is in your appdata\roaming folder as mentioned. Only exception is, if you activated portable mode in your global FSO flags, which is very unlikely.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 06:10:55 pm by Novachen »