Author Topic: High Resolution UI system  (Read 33342 times)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: High Resolution UI system
What would that accomplish that would not be worse than using an image rotor and designing your own HUD elements that way?
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Being able to specify an entire HUD via a table without adding in additional assets?  Sounds kind of neat actually.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I mean.. I can understand why coders might want to design that way... :p

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yes, it's actually the same principle behind using CSS instead of images on a website.  Pretty common these days to avoid loading a lot of extra assets when the CSS file can contain everything, and often for much lower overhead when the heavy work of actually rendering many shapes and features is already set up in the rendering engine, and you just need a few text bytes to tell it what to do.  Plus, a system like that could scale infinitely to any resolution.  The only graphics type that could claim to have that ability is SVG, which is already a text file format anyway.  I just have no idea how performant using libRocket to render HUD elements in real time could actually be.  Although there might be a middle ground, using libRocket during game/mission load to render HUD assets into memory at the specified resolution.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Web design isn't a great analogy because you still use image assets to do anything truly unique, but I get it. And I don't disagree at all. It just tickles me a little because of course this makes sense for people who are used to staring at code. As a visual designer, designing purely with code sounds awful! :)

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
I don't see why such a system couldn't also use images, making it even more analogous to web design. 

Besides, a lot in web design can be done without images today, when they couldn't "back in the day". HLP itself only uses images for the logo, the user avatar, and some little icons, as far as I can tell. Some of these icons could even be replaced by CSS shapes.
Potato!

Offline m!m

I just have no idea how performant using libRocket to render HUD elements in real time could actually be.  Although there might be a middle ground, using libRocket during game/mission load to render HUD assets into memory at the specified resolution.
I haven't run any benchmarks yet but it looks like libRocket would be fast enough to use it for rendering the HUD. That will require an entirely new system though since then I would like to use a Model-View technique to reduce the amount of code that would need to be ported to Lua.

I don't see why such a system couldn't also use images, making it even more analogous to web design. 

Besides, a lot in web design can be done without images today, when they couldn't "back in the day". HLP itself only uses images for the logo, the user avatar, and some little icons, as far as I can tell. Some of these icons could even be replaced by CSS shapes.
You all seem to be forgetting that libRocket doesn't support all those new and fancy CSS effects :p

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Hlp uses at least a few more images than just the logo. There's some icons and banner backgrounds that have the logo at the very least. But if course that's why I said "unique". A purely code design could not make anything at all like FS2's default interface.

But yeah, m!m brings an excellent point. librocket is just not capable of anything like modern websites. :)

Offline m!m

Here is an update on the current status of the options UI:

All option types (selection, range, binary) are supported now so now I only have to port over the various options.

Awesome job! :) :yes:

New Interface + In-game config menu = 2 Win

All option types (selection, range, binary) are supported now so now I only have to port over the various options.
Awesome news :)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Very noice.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
You can now download the HD UI test mod on Knossos. The released version has all our work up to the barracks.

I will absolutely take a look at this test mod! I hope this becomes a thing for all FS mods out there :)

Offline m!m

I think the options UI is now ready for an initial test. I updated the mod in the first post (you will need new libRocket test builds).
Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/02evqpucyesvoni/libRocketMod.zip

The options should already work in-game so you can test that as well.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
I've tested the latest build lately, and I've found out the issues on the options, especially on the detail tab. Apparently, the options don't save itself for some reason after exiting the options menu following some changes.

What of loading screens and mainhalls? Will the latter support rocketlib in some capacity?
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline m!m

I've tested the latest build lately, and I've found out the issues on the options, especially on the detail tab. Apparently, the options don't save itself for some reason after exiting the options menu following some changes.
You need to express yourself more clearly. Your description is absolutely useless for me.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    • Twitter
You need to express yourself more clearly. Your description is absolutely useless for me.
I mean, there are some issues found after testing the latest build. The options did not save itself for some reason after clicking accept.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
On 800x600 resolutions and lower, the fonts and UI look distorted in the screenshot below.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
I do not think, that 800x600 is appropriate to be called "High Resolution" in modern times.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 11:38:05 am by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.