Author Topic: PCS2 Insignia editor  (Read 12531 times)

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
PCS2 Insignia editor
I've started on an insignia editor for PCS2. If you have suggestions for how you'd like it to work, post them here.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Re: PCS2 Insignia editor
Ooh wow, that'd be awesome to see - good luck man. :)

My suggestion would be to make it as visual-based as possible. Perhaps do it like this: (from an end-user perspective)

1) Pick a projection vector (ie, the simple version would be [+/-] direction, [x,y,z] axis, but if possible any vector would be best) and a radii from which the locations of the verticies in the insignia polygons can be projected (ie, they get projected from that vector till they hit the hull)
2) Define a level of subdivision for the projected plane. Basically this would either be 0 or 1 where 0 means you get a two-polygon plane, and 1 means you get an eight-polygon plane. Each vertex of the plane is projected separately so the idea is the plane follows the contours of the hull at the specified area.
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Keep it simple.
Have a choose poly, centre by default. Scale, rotate, flip normal. And XY adjustment.

That's all anyone will ever need :yes:

Also . . . . . . . . I love you.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Go Spicious Go!
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
1) Pick a projection vector (ie, the simple version would be [+/-] direction, [x,y,z] axis, but if possible any vector would be best) and a radii from which the locations of the verticies in the insignia polygons can be projected (ie, they get projected from that vector till they hit the hull)
2) Define a level of subdivision for the projected plane. Basically this would either be 0 or 1 where 0 means you get a two-polygon plane, and 1 means you get an eight-polygon plane. Each vertex of the plane is projected separately so the idea is the plane follows the contours of the hull at the specified area.
Interesting idea. Are you suggesting that it start with a square comprised of a predetermined set of triangles and then try to project each vertex onto the actual geometry? That seems like it'll rely on getting lucky with it not intersecting the mesh. Projecting onto a flattish surface might work I guess.

It's ready to try here. See link in sig.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 11:47:57 pm by Spicious »

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
That one there works and is a good start - nice dude! :D
However, due to the nature of the data involved it's definitely more of an insignia viewer than editor. Like you COULD try creating and manually placing insignia by numbers alone,.....but you wouldn't.

And yeah you've got the gist of the idea there. Individual insignia can only consist of 8 polygons max IIRC and because you want them to be square that means you'll typically only ever need a 2 poly plane (flat surfaces) or an 8 poly plane(for curved surfaces). Positioning them using the projection system well you could build in an auto offset from the hull surface so the insigina doesn't quite get stuck in the hull, or let the user specify one. Beyond that I'd imagine it would work so that if any vertex 'missed' the ship in the projection it would be placed where it intersects the bounding box along its vector.

Oh yeah - and you would need to be able to specify rotation around the projection axis. :)
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
That one there works and is a good start - nice dude! :D
However, due to the nature of the data involved it's definitely more of an insignia viewer than editor. Like you COULD try creating and manually placing insignia by numbers alone,.....but you wouldn't.
I would and have in the rather distant past.

And yeah you've got the gist of the idea there. Individual insignia can only consist of 8 polygons max IIRC and because you want them to be square that means you'll typically only ever need a 2 poly plane (flat surfaces) or an 8 poly plane(for curved surfaces). Positioning them using the projection system well you could build in an auto offset from the hull surface so the insigina doesn't quite get stuck in the hull, or let the user specify one. Beyond that I'd imagine it would work so that if any vertex 'missed' the ship in the projection it would be placed where it intersects the bounding box along its vector.
The max is 10 triangles and 20 vertices, although I'm sure it could be worked around by breaking it up into multiple insignia. I'm happy to go with letting the user ensure the surface is sufficiently flat.

The control for setting most of the projection parameters is done and provides a preview of sorts. It shows up if you have an insignia with no faces selected. Same url as before.

Incidentally, it seems the MediaVP Medusa insignia are backwards.

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Vertex projection is working now. It can turn out pretty decently if positioned well.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Probably a stupid question but does it allow for more then one insignia texture?  Say put the squad on the wings and the pilot under the cockpit?

Can't even remember if the code supports this. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
No; all insignia on a ship use the same texture.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Can I nitpick and ask you to pick a different texture for the demo; say, the 53rd Hammerheads? That has text on it so it's easy to tell if you have your normals flipped.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Everyone knows the 107th image faces to the right :p
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
It looks excellent, seems to be quite intuitive, easy to visualize and use. Great job.

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Can I nitpick and ask you to pick a different texture for the demo; say, the 53rd Hammerheads? That has text on it so it's easy to tell if you have your normals flipped.
I'm not really happy with any of the stock or MediaVP insignia for the preview. Ideally it should be opaque at its border and have a clear indication of directions; looking nice would be a bonus. The Raven happened to be inside a circle which somewhat approaches the border requirement. The MediaVP version of the Hammerheads seems at least as good by those criteria.

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
And approach 2, using 62 triangles in this example...

[attachment deleted by ninja]
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 04:27:12 am by Spicious »

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Wow, that's... that's REALLY good!

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
This could actually be useful for Wings now that I think of it. The tails of airplanes provide a nice large flat surface to put a squadron logo on, with little or no normal mapping on those areas to be ruined by the squadron logo.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
many fighter squadrons tend to stick unit crests/logos/colours to the tail fins of their fighters
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
lets all remember now that insignia are always flat shaded, before we get to carried away.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
lets all remember now that insignia are always flat shaded, before we get to carried away.

They used to be, back when they had no opacity. Now they're partially transparent, and they ought to be affected by mission lighting as normal.