Author Topic: Tiling issue in a POF  (Read 3097 times)

Offline newman

Tiling issue in a POF
Long story short, even though the UV's check out and the correct map is applied, this sometimes happens:

When thinking about it, I realized this always happened if UVW channels were involved somehow (more than one); I tend to come up with a different set of UV's for a debris map, for instance, then use UV channels to bake from the original diffuse map to a new layout, and dirty that up. After that I just apply new UV info to channel 1 of the debris mesh, in an assumption that the process of exporting to POF will ignore anything but UVW channel 1, since UV channels aren't supported by the game. However, it seems that anything that has more than one UV channel has a chance of developing this issue.
FUBAR tried exporting to obj, then reimporting, and this would get rid of the issue, further supporting my theory it's the UV channels that are to blame here - the obj format doesn't support UV channels so exporting to that and reimporting would have gotten rid of everything but channel 1, thereby fixing the issue.
I was wondering if there might be something overlooked regarding uv channels in PCS2, though? Something obviously messes up the UV's during export. Could be the collada exporter, or the PCS2, but I thought I'd throw the issue out here see if anyone else ran across it.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: Tiling issue in a POF
Some additional info.  This does not always happen.  When it does it may appear on only one channel (if that's the proper term) or all.  It the most recent occurrence of this issue it appeared on everything on the second channel map and only one element of the main map. 

There was also one model where exporting to obj did not fix the issue.  That was over a year ago so don't have that one anymore.  It was eventually fixed by remodeling the parts with the issue.  I do remember all the parts used the same 2 maps but only 1 out of the 7 rendered correctly in PCS2 and in game.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline newman

When it does it may appear on only one channel (if that's the proper term) or all. 

Actually I think you mean on only one material ID or all - meaning on polygons/object using a specific material/texture.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

I did once through blender. I associated the map to the mesh, but I forgot to remove the linked materials version and so somehow the reference to the map AND the linked material or something caused for the above to happen.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Think I have the same problem with one of Carl's models. I'll have a look tomorrow and see what's up with it.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Well, 2 days later and I still haven't figured out what happened. Changing the Material ID's don't seem to resolve anything...
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

Are you exporting with the image UV linked by materials?

I know for blender, you can't have it as a linked material to the mesh, but a normal UV association. I have no idea how to translate that to 3DS though.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam

Are you exporting with the image UV linked by materials?

I know for blender, you can't have it as a linked material to the mesh, but a normal UV association. I have no idea how to translate that to 3DS though.

For all I know, it's just a simple UVW unwrap and the material applied to the mesh afterwords.  :confused:

The majority of model has it show up fine, it's just a few subobjects in particular are having the problem.

As you can see, the landing pads, "saucer" quadrants, and the upper antenna array are all mucked up. If I zoom in all the way, I can see the entire texture, but it's not really related to the geometry.

Well, before I hijack newman's thread any further...

Newman, did you solve your tiling issue, or is it still present?

I'm just going to modify this post... I've already double posted and don't want to double-double-down (mm, fried grease...)

erm... Ok, I made a bit of progress. It seems the UV mapping is still there, but a glitch has scaled the coordinates way WAY up.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 01:57:08 am by z64555 »
chief1983

------------

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
We've worked around it on the last 2 models it's happened on.  The real question is why is it happening in the first place.

Try exporting anything with that material to .obj, deleting, and reimporting.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Ok, did as you said and it fixed all textures. I did note, however, that I only had to import one object, and at least one of the objects where on a separate material than the one that was imported from OBJ.

Interestingly, Scooby's old DAE fixer didn't work on it.

Additionally, attempting to apply another material with the same textures results in the object "graying out."

(BTW, Thanks!  :yes:)

And.... it's broke again.  :mad:

Going to try exporting the whole thing to OBJ, and then importing it into a new .MAX scene.

Ok, Fixed again, (hopefully) for good.

It had an interesting effect on the material browser, replaced a few of the materials I had in there already with some different ones.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 07:08:50 pm by z64555 »
chief1983

------------

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Can anyone replicate the problem with something simple?

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Can anyone replicate the problem with something simple?

I can try breaking it using primitives as a starting point, but I'd like to get the station LOD'd and game-ready first...
chief1983

------------

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Debris chunk good enough?  If so I'm sure I have the old broken ones still around as I rarely delete anything.

PM'ed you one that shows the issue happening on one piece but not another. 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 05:14:21 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Why are there multiple texture channels?

Try it now.