Author Topic: FS2_Open Linux Mini Howto  (Read 69086 times)

Offline bKtHeG

• http://www.rtk-games.net
Finally I've got the time to make a new release:

Download: here

Changes:
* MS-ADPCM decoder [taylor]
* some changes to the network-stuff [taylor]
* the movie now determines the full path of a mve-file (no playback yet) [taylor]
* newest cvs-version (including htl-support)
* some smaller changes to the windows_stub-stuff

Problems:
* Debug-built: one assertion always fails if a rocket hits a ship
* Random segmetation-errors

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
For that first in the list of problems (ship hit crash) all that's needed is to change "Num_weapons" to "Num_weapon_types" at the end of the Assert.

I looks like you fixed the depreciated sys_errlist problem in _chdir in the windows stubs but there is still another one in _mkdir.  I fixed this for both previously but I don't think I ever sent you a patch for it.

I'm working on straming audio for the icculus.org side of things and a working build of an OSX FSO port for Inquisitor so I'm going to spend time trying to track down the random segfaults rather than new code for FSO.  I still haven't experienced a crash that was exclusive to the *nix build though so if anyone has a crash please let me know where so I can look for it.

i cant get it to compile i get this

graphics/gropengl.cpp: In function `void
   gr_opengl_set_tex_state_combine_arb(gr_texture_source)':
graphics/gropengl.cpp:1253: error: `GL_COMBINE_ARB' undeclared (first use this
   function)
graphics/gropengl.cpp:1253: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only
   once for each function it appears in.)
graphics/gropengl.cpp:1254: error: `GL_COMBINE_RGB_ARB' undeclared (first use
   this function)
graphics/gropengl.cpp:1255: error: `GL_RGB_SCALE_ARB' undeclared (first use
   this function)
graphics/gropengl.cpp: In function `int opengl_create_texture_sub(int, int,
   ushort*, int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int, tcache_slot_opengl*, int,
   int)':
graphics/gropengl.cpp:3469: error: `glCompressedTexImage2D' undeclared (first
   use this function)
graphics/gropengl.cpp: In function `uint opengl_create_vbo(unsigned int,
   void**)':
graphics/gropengl.cpp:4516: error: `glGenBuffersARB' undeclared (first use this
   function)
graphics/gropengl.cpp:4521: error: `GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB' undeclared (first use
   this function)
graphics/gropengl.cpp:4521: error: `glBindBufferARB' undeclared (first use this
   function)
graphics/gropengl.cpp:4522: error: `GL_STATIC_DRAW_ARB' undeclared (first use
   this function)
graphics/gropengl.cpp:4522: error: `glBufferDataARB' undeclared (first use this
   function)
graphics/gropengl.cpp: In function `void gr_opengl_destroy_buffer(int)':
graphics/gropengl.cpp:4606: error: `glDeleteBuffersARB' undeclared (first use
   this function)
graphics/gropengl.cpp: In function `void gr_opengl_render_buffer(int)':
graphics/gropengl.cpp:4629: error: `glBindBufferARB' undeclared (first use this
   function)

ive tried gcc 2.95 and 3.3, im using debian.
HT

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
you need a new copy of glext.h

i think there is one here
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

no luck with the new file :(
HT

Offline bKtHeG

• http://www.rtk-games.net
Which version do you have? (You should use the lastest version available and not the one at the beginning of the thread)
If you are using the most up to date version: Which gfx-card and which driver do you have?

i am using the latest version posted in this thread, i have a nvidia gf4 mx440 with the 5338 drviers, on 2.6.1 kernel.
HT

[edit]While I'm pretty sure what "it" refers to is obvious, "it" refers to FSO.[/edit]

I know I've been kinda silent since my first couple of posts, but I've been working on my science fair project, and I'm using... PPC linux.  Crazy, eh?  While I'll be glad when the OSX build comes, I'm wondering about getting it to compile on PPC Linux.  The only thing that's gone wrong with it so far is the asm stuff in some of the graphics/ source files.

The reasons I'm asking are that I'd like something to do while trying to build a new kernel and I don't know assembler :P

Is it talking to the graphics card, or the CPU?  And/Or is there something I need to change in some of the gcc flags?

Or have I missed something in a readme or documentation somewhere.. <.<

~Atal
« Last Edit: February 03, 2004, 04:20:41 pm by 1633 »
Mertakk monae ki ienikk du bellou zhello.
Kuek mertakk monae ienikk divakkou zhello.

What does it mean if the most fun you had all night was blowing up asteroids...?

"Its a Babylon Space 2 HercFury!" --mikhael on seeing my first fighter design.

Offline Amon_Re

• http://www.kefren.be
Well, seems things have been happening for the linux port, COOL ;)
Taylor, if/when FSO compiles on OSX, could you upload the sources somewhere?

I've downloaded the last sourcetree from Bk & i'll see to compile with that.
Taylor, the installer made for Incubus(?), is the sourcecode available for that?

Cheers
Sig? What sig?

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
I've been extremely busy with work since the last week of November so I haven't done any coding, except for work.  I'm ashamed.  Hopefully things will ease up a bit here soon and I can get back to working on the game(s).  I was about a third of the way through the streaming audio code and only had to figure out the best way to handle the audio buffers to be done with the MoViE player for the icculus.org code.  All of the audio streaming code is in a separate file and will be simple to get it plugged into FSO and it should work on OSX/PPC without any changes.

Amon_Re:
I'm waiting on tigital to get the OSX stuff for icculus.org finalized before I do anything about it for FSO, but then tigital will probably work on that as well.  There have been some freaky crashes with the beta3 code and I haven't been able to reproduce any of them in order to find a fix.  There are some issues with cross platform use of pilot files as well but the optimal fix (hopefully, it has to work with original Windows files) exists only in my head at the moment.  (mental note, make sure tigital is still alive and figure out the status of this stuff)

I assume that you are referring to icculus.org and not the band (Incubus) but the (Linux) installer which ravage has is loki_setup out of the icculus.org CVS.  I don't know if loki_setup works under OSX though and ravage's installer uses wine to install the FS2 game data so that's not going to work for you with a clean install to OSX.  I believe that someone made the installer that works under OSX (for UT2K, I think) but I'm not sure who that was or where the source is hiding.

Atalhlla:
   It should be pretty easy to take out the parts from the icculus.org OSX version necessary for it to work on Linux/PPC and get them into bKtHeG's FSO code.  My tree has code that is a bit cut down from tigital's so it's geared more toward Linux/PPC rather than OSX anyway.  Getting it in FSO and Linux but still on PPC might help us figure out if some of the stranger bugs are OSX or just code related.  Message me if you are serious about testing it out and will agree to not distribute the code for now, I really don't want a bunch of bug reports and complaints on something that's probably going to be replaced with tigital's final code in the not-too-distant future.

Offline tr909

I mailed some bug^h^h^h crash reports to tigital (begin january) and some things are OSX-Panther related (tigital at that time still used OSX-Jaguar) He rather sort things out first before receiving many more reports. success you coders. keep up the good stuff :-)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2004, 05:44:26 am by 1555 »

Offline Amon_Re

Originally posted by taylor
Amon_Re:
I'm waiting on tigital to get the OSX stuff for icculus.org finalized before I do anything about it for FSO, but then tigital will probably work on that as well.  There have been some freaky crashes with the beta3 code and I haven't been able to reproduce any of them in order to find a fix.  There are some issues with cross platform use of pilot files as well but the optimal fix (hopefully, it has to work with original Windows files) exists only in my head at the moment.  (mental note, make sure tigital is still alive and figure out the status of this stuff)

I assume that you are referring to icculus.org and not the band (Incubus) but the (Linux) installer which ravage has is loki_setup out of the icculus.org CVS.  I don't know if loki_setup works under OSX though and ravage's installer uses wine to install the FS2 game data so that's not going to work for you with a clean install to OSX.  I believe that someone made the installer that works under OSX (for UT2K, I think) but I'm not sure who that was or where the source is hiding.[/B]

Yes, i was talking about icculus.org, sorry 'bout that :)
The reason why i asked for the installer is because i'm willing to make up to date packages of the installer & the FSO binary for download, i got the space & bandwidth for it.
Another point of intrest for me relating to the OSX version is a native LinuxPPC version aswell as (if i can find someone who can help with it) an Amiga port, in my opinion FSO should run on every platform that's able to grind them numbers ;)

Cheers
Sig? What sig?

if you do make an installer let it install the binaries without having to do an install requiring the cd.
HT

Offline Amon_Re

Originally posted by HellToupee
if you do make an installer let it install the binaries without having to do an install requiring the cd.

Simple solution, an RPM file with just the binaries, and an RPM with the full installer ;)

I'll see if i can grab the installer from icullus later today

Cheers
Sig? What sig?

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Please do.

I haven't the foggiest what I'm doing in Linux yet...
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Originally posted by Amon_Re

Simple solution, an RPM file with just the binaries, and an RPM with the full installer ;)

I'll see if i can grab the installer from icullus later today

Cheers

no thats not suitable, not all linux distrobutions use rpm.
HT

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
Why would you need an installer? Just provide rpms, debs and tgzs.

By the way, has anyone gotten static compiling with FSO working? I tried to do it, but it's not working too well.
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman

I'm not sure if anyone else has tested it yet, but when I build the icculus FS2 build on PPC Linux, durring compilation there are a bunch of "malformed pragma" warnings.  Other than that, it builds fine.  But, when I run it, it hangs on
[atalhlla@localhost FS2]$ ./freespace2 --window
WinMain: exceptions shall fall through
STUB: WinMainSub at src/freespace2/freespace.cpp, line 7109, thread 2587
STUB: find_freespace_cd at src/freespace2/freespace.cpp, line 8560, thread 2587
General: Size of bitmap info = 355 KB
General: Size of bitmap extra info = 8 bytes
STUB: cfile_chdrive at src/cfile/cfile.cpp, line 466, thread 2587
General: Building file index...
General: Searching root '/home/atalhlla/freespace2/FS2/'

_

First : What is that supposed to be for, even?
Second : Am I right in guessing that it still need testing/debugging? (and 's that what I'm supposed to be working on? :P)
Just curious.
~Atal
« Last Edit: February 15, 2004, 11:56:12 pm by 1633 »

What does it mean if the most fun you had all night was blowing up asteroids...?

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
The icculus.org CVS doesn't have any of the OSX stuff in it yet so it doesn't support PPC at the moment.  It should all go in when the OSX build is working good.  Without the needed endianess swaps it won't parse the VPs correctly (or PCXs, or pilot files, or models, ...) so it won't load.  When tigital declares it ready, OSX support will be added to icculus.org CVS.

If you haven't tried it yet then you can download the OSX beta3 (which is built on OSX so it's not Linux/PPC friendly) from tigital's mac.com homepage.  I don't have that URL handy at the moment but you can do a search in the IMG forums (www.insidemacgames.com) to get the correct address.  Hopefully it's not going to be much longer before the full OSX patch is added to CVS for everyone to get at and play with.

Oh and bKtHeG's newest release, that I know of, is here: http://ds.hamburg051.server4free.de/20031206_fs2_open_linux.tar.bz2

Without the needed endianess swaps it won't parse the VPs correctly (or PCXs, or pilot files, or models, ...) so it won't load.

Aaaah, okay, thanks :)
Also, I did play with the OSX build from Tigital's mac.com account.  I must say that I wouldn't be as interesting in FS2/FSO as I am now if I didn't play it.
Oh and bKtHeG's newest release...

Again, thanks so much. :D

~Atal