Author Topic: Movies ?  (Read 3326 times)

Hi, folks !
I have to congratulate with taylor for the amazing work. I've just built the new cvs version and I'll try to contribute to the testing phase.

I'm only a little confused about movies.. Somewhere I read that the movie code just has crackling audio but I can't make it work.

Is the linux version already able to show movies ?
What kind of movies do I have to use ( avi or mve ) ?
Where do I have to put them ?

IIRC:
MVE=Illegal to use in FSO, due to licensing.
The current AVI code is dependent on windows media player.
There is no windows media player for Linux.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by kasperl
IIRC:
MVE=Illegal to use in FSO, due to licensing.
Not true; AFAIK the license only prevents people from creating MVE movies.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
I believe it depends on *how* the MVE decoder is written.

I would guess that AVI will almost certainly be supported...I'm not sure what taylor plans on using to play movies, maybe xine or something. (xine is the only video-playing library I know of for Linux :p)
-C

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
I looked briefly at xine but it doesn't seem capable of being easily used in a game engine without serious work.  For now I'm not going to support AVI, period.  MPG but not AVI.  AVI has way too many codecs to deal with and there are too many platform issues involved with the decoders.  Even if it was supported you would have some movies that don't work on some platforms and I don't want to deal with the complaining from that.  avifile is another one I looked at but again, it's designed to be used with a standard frontend relying on X or some other system/interface specific calls for doing video and input and audio.  I don't want to do something like that since there is too big of a chance of it interferring with SDL or OpenAL stuff on many systems.  That would get dirty and be too much like the current mediaplayer stuff (which I don't like btw).

SMPEG for the MPG support should handle things nicely, assuming that anyone ever releases MPG movies instead of AVIs.  Plus, whatever comes in the near future for the standard movies.

Well... Does MPG mean only MPEG 1 or MPEG 2, too?
Because I won't convert my nice looking, well transcoded XviD AVIs to MPEG 1 ;)
It'd have to be MPEG 2 ;)

And if it's badly wanted, I could transcode my movies for others, but that would be the german movies...

But I could (and again: when it's badly wanted), download the english movies and transcode them...

But with 16 KB/s Upload it will need some time to upload the movies...

We could try using ffmpeg, for decoder/encoder or mplayer, for an app to view :)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Yeah ffmpeg is on my list of things to look at.  There are legal issues there though and I haven't decided what to do yet.  Last time I was going to look it was broken on x86_64 so I couldn't use it.

I compiled mplayer on the x86_64 just fine. Can't remember if it compiled ffmpeg for sure but I think it did. I'll confirm you tonight.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by mrduckman
I compiled mplayer on the x86_64 just fine. Can't remember if it compiled ffmpeg for sure but I think it did. I'll confirm you tonight.

:D Sorry, I meant that it didn't work at the time but has long since been fixed.  I prefer totem over mplayer but it still uses ffmpeg so when one's broken so is the other (functionally at least).

oh? totem? (/me goes to look for it)