Author Topic: Coronavirus Outbreak  (Read 134663 times)

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
The federal government in Germany just announced a general ban on gatherings of more than 2 people, to be enforced by the usual agencies and backed by harsh sanctions (up to 25k €).

...how are they working that with families?  Some sort of exemption for parents with children?
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline theperfectdrugsk

• thinks there should be a dedicated 'en-dash' key
Families and those living in the same home are exempt. Don't know whether that means anyone in the family is allowed though (like...is a family reunion with 50+ people still ok?). My guess is that it's worded such that the exemption is only for those living in the same domicile.

Meanwhile, looks like The Netherlands is on track to make the same mistakes Italy did  :banghead: - The population simply isn't taking the social distancing seriously. Reading Dysko's posts as well as reconstructions of the Italian situation only a month ago and seeing the same thing happening here is not making me too hopeful about the coming weeks. Atleast the place I'm at is enforcing quarentine rules, but I do live in a mental health hospital, so I can't fully expect everyone around me to take care of themselves  :blah:. Am rather frustrated at my housemates at the moment.

NY picked up about 5000 new infections yesterday. Here in NYC we're looking at about one death an hour. Army's looking at setting up field hospitals in stadiums. Witness the true power of The Doubling

Considering that the US was worse at testing then the Netherlands, there will have been people dying of "unidentified lung issues" already to boot :\
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 04:37:14 pm by -Joshua- »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
In England, we're closing national parks, and generally tutting at people in large groups.

BoJo has mentioned stricter measures if we jolly well don't abide by the social distancing protocols.

I've made sure my "Family Defence measures" are good to go back home so i can defend the Toilet paper and Pasta stockpiles i have cached in my loft.....
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
The Singapore government has made special arrangements for Singapore Airlines to fly overseas Singaporeans out from most countries affected by covid-19, which includes the UK, where I'm currently studying in.

After having a lengthy discussion with my sister last Friday over whether I should stay in the UK or leave, I concluded that it is more prudent to leave now, before the virus reaches its peak. From the look of things, most schools in the UK will remain shut for quite some time to come - likely beyond the end of the current university semester - and since my on-campus lessons are now being conducted through Discord, there is no concrete reason for me to stay.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 05:37:22 pm by Androgeos Exeunt »
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yeah, If I had been offered the choice in China, I would have chosen to stay. If I was offered the choice in the UK, I'd be getting the hell out of town. I find it ironic that it's the Western powers who mainly seem to be competing to see who can be the most irresponisble when it comes to protecting against the virus.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Yeah, If I had been offered the choice in China, I would have chosen to stay. If I was offered the choice in the UK, I'd be getting the hell out of town. I find it ironic that it's the Western powers who mainly seem to be competing to see who can be the most irresponisble when it comes to protecting against the virus.

UK wise, (and I work all over it and have seen four corners of it in the last 3 weeks) it seems like the bulk of Joe public are being dippy more than the guys telling them what to do.

(I am being as responsible as practice allows by the way)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Meanwhile, looks like The Netherlands is on track to make the same mistakes Italy did  :banghead: - The population simply isn't taking the social distancing seriously. Reading Dysko's posts as well as reconstructions of the Italian situation only a month ago and seeing the same thing happening here is not making me too hopeful about the coming weeks. Atleast the place I'm at is enforcing quarentine rules, but I do live in a mental health hospital, so I can't fully expect everyone around me to take care of themselves  :blah:. Am rather frustrated at my housemates at the moment.

NY picked up about 5000 new infections yesterday. Here in NYC we're looking at about one death an hour. Army's looking at setting up field hospitals in stadiums. Witness the true power of The Doubling

Considering that the US was worse at testing then the Netherlands, there will have been people dying of "unidentified lung issues" already to boot :\

Given that The Netherlands have managed to do almost nothing then, you do have to wonder what the **** Bruno Bruins (the Dutch minister in charge of dealing with the virus) was doing to collapse from overwork!

He did a lot before resigning. He just didn't sleep at night.

Bruins was the minister of public health, so he did a lot in ensuring the logistics, keeping up with the advice of the RIVM (royal institute for public health and enviroment), making regulations, debating those regulations, that sorta thing. It's not like there is a lack of guidelines and a lot has been done to prevent, say, only specific hospitals overflowing whilst others stay empty.

It's just that the dutch government placed a lot more trust in the dutch population wrt following those guidelines then we ourselves deserve. A lot of the virus's spread in Italy had to do with people flaunting the isolation guidelines (see also Dysko's earlier posts) and the same is happnening here. People just aren't listening and the enforcement of guidelines has been lax.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
So the government were trying to do the right thing but the public were being idiots?

Yes.

Mind you, I don't agree with the government either, I feel like they could be doing more, esp. wrt testing and being harsher about enforcement, but I won't dispute that they are in their eyes trying to do the right thing! It's just that large swathes of the public are acting in a rather callous matter in the face of an epidemic that in the south of the country has already killed more then hundred people.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 08:06:34 am by -Joshua- »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
So basically the same as the UK or US except with halfway competent leadership. Shows why I'm worried about what's going to happen in the UK given that they thought about it and still managed to come up with that herd immunity bull****.

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
I'm still utterly flabbergasted by that, particularly as it came directly from the government's chief science advisor. It's like setting someone's house on fire to find out who is fireproof.

Offline theperfectdrugsk

It's like setting someone's house on fire to find out who is fireproof.
Hey now, that test is 100% effective.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I think this week is gonna get real bad in NYC. Everybody exposed right before we started taking it seriously should be breaking with symptoms soon.

Offline theperfectdrugsk

Stay safe batooter. Heard Ohio issued a shelter-in-place, which is honestly surprising given the relatively low numbers of confirmed cases there. Good for them.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I have made the necessary arrangements and will be leaving the UK Wednesday evening. I should touch down in Singapore on Thursday evening...just before an additional requirement of submitting a health declaration form kicks in.

I have no lessons on Wednesday and Thursday, and my main online stomping grounds are unlikely to be seriously affected. I even managed to snag a window seat with an empty adjacent middle seat on an Airbus A380-800, which will be my first (and maybe only) time flying this aircraft. Things are looking good so far.

Stay safe batooter. Heard Ohio issued a shelter-in-place, which is honestly surprising given the relatively low numbers of confirmed cases there. Good for them.

They know how badly it can go. It went south for Italy, and it's quickly going south for both the UK and the rest of US. The fact that the BBC is now reporting that the NHS stands a chance of being overwhelmed, when just a few weeks ago, the government expressed confidence that they are ready to handle the situation, is moderately unsettling.

So basically the same as the UK or US except with halfway competent leadership. Shows why I'm worried about what's going to happen in the UK given that they thought about it and still managed to come up with that herd immunity bull****.

Does herd immunity even work in this case?
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline theperfectdrugsk

Does herd immunity even work in this case?

I guess it would in theory...AFAIK there's been no evidence of either re-infection or mutation.

No new information here, but a really good breakdown of the whole virus thing:

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I guess it would in theory...AFAIK there's been no evidence of either re-infection or mutation.

So far we have 400,000 cases worldwide. Herd immunity requires about a hundred times that number. I wouldn't want to roll the dice that an RNA virus (which is a kind famous for a higher mutation rate) won't mutate into something nastier if our entire data set composes of 1% of the cases we would end up with.