Author Topic: What should HLP 2021 be?  (Read 32634 times)

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Re: What should HLP 2021 be?
Just a quick thought - is there an equivalent of a thumbs up / thumbs down button on here. If not would it be possible to add one? Quite often I see great posts that I would like to show my appreciation of but I'm too busy, tired, lazy etc. to put it into words.
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

TBH I think part of HLPs charme was that we didn't need that, but the Discord has it for a month or 2 now so it's possible.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
looking at this forum at midnight has just made me think of something else - is there a way to change fonts and text size on here at the reader's end since the default text size it is very small?

I know we can use different fonts and sizes when we write stuff, but a universal setting at the viewers end could be very handy, something along the lines of a large print viewer, or one that uses the fonts designed to be more easily readable by those with dyslexia and the like. Is this doable?

I.e. this: OpenDyslexia

A free-to-use typeface designed to be more easily readable by those with dyslexia.

https://www.opendyslexic.org
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 07:16:53 pm by Iain Baker »
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline RazorsKiss

• The Cutting Edge
    • RazorsKiss.net
Just as a minor note: attempt, very heartily, to avoid putting all your eggs in one basket, as far as community goes. The vagaries of chosen forms of communication will, by their very nature, lead to a bit of fragmentation in the community. Short of some way (or reason to) centralize it, consider this one of the costs of doing business - but incentivize cross-pollination by using your *most* central assets as bridges between the sub-communities - namely, the website, including wiki & forums - and frequently refer your sub-communities back to those centralized assets for reference and the feeling of belonging. In other words, nobody on any platform under your banner should go very long without knowing the other platforms which exist under your aegis - but conversely, neglected platforms need either frequent updates (especially social media), some sort of easily visible schedule (especially video), or an announced hiatus (with archives) until there is a manager on that platform.
Fringespace - Tachyon: Revived   ModDB Listing   Razorskiss.net 

You only think you can outfly me.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Pretty much agree with everything karajorma and Ryan listed, among others.  I think the overarching priority here should be to make HLP a place that draws new members in and effectively advertises the amazing work that's being done here.  That starts with the main page of the site getting a huge revamp that puts content front-and-center.  There was a discussion on Discord about how the total conversions need to be advertised loudly and proudly as Free Honest-to-God Games.  Get Discord integrated into the site in a huge way, since it's where much of the everyday chatter takes place now.  Get the social media accounts pumping out content on a regular basis, even if it's something as simple as glamour shots.  If possible, see if we can find someone with the knowledge to take point on Knossos dev to help push it forward.  (And if there is the possibility of finishing up a new forum theme, please tell me it's actually decent on mobile...)

On the staff side, I definitely agree that everyone with some official role in the community should get access to a staff forum, since that makes cross-platform coordination much easier.  We need to clearly define everyone's roles, and there needs to be a clean break between the technical and community moderation side of things.  As has been stated, we're also desperately in need of some new staff in all roles. As stated in the other thread, I am all in favor of retaining PolDisc, albeit with careful consideration of its guidelines.  And the rules as a whole need an overhaul to discourage lawyering and encourage respectful, productive discussion.

...that's not so much, right?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The way I envisioned the last site redesign was a big banner that just simply said "Our free games!" with all the TCs on it and "Our paid games" and just put Freespace in the latter section. Once someone clicks on it, they can be told the true story that we don't own Freespace.

Instead we got a history lesson about Freespace.

Drag them in with the free stuff. If someone has come here because of Freespace, they'll find it when they scroll down a little.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
looking at this forum at midnight has just made me think of something else - is there a way to change fonts and text size on here at the reader's end since the default text size it is very small?

I know we can use different fonts and sizes when we write stuff, but a universal setting at the viewers end could be very handy, something along the lines of a large print viewer, or one that uses the fonts designed to be more easily readable by those with dyslexia and the like. Is this doable?

A free-to-use typeface designed to be more easily readable by those with dyslexia.

I was wondering why that site was trying to pass off Comic Sans as their own OpenDyslexic font. :wtf: Then I opened devtools and realized the browser is blocking their own font from rendering due to CORS. :rolleyes:

Regardless, I know the current forum theme isn't perfect (since I made it but never fully completed it), but it is fully responsive, meaning that it works on small screens just as well as on large ones. So you should be able to simply increase the zoom (CTRL-mousewheel or CTRL-+) in-browser to get the perfect screen size for you. The browser should remember that zoom level per-domain.

Is that sufficient?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Regarding staff. HLP doesn't really update it's staff. IMO, after N days not logging in and N attempts at communicating, a position should be vacated and filled by someone currently active. When was the last time HLP got a new global mod? How many GMs or Admins are on the roles but haven't logged in this year?

I'd enforce this, and for a specific reason: if we have no idea what happened to a staff member, we have to assume his or her account may be hacked after a given amount of time, and this may therefore be dangerous especially when it comes to admin powers.

Inactive staff members can get the Aide-de-camp badge or something should they no longer be able to contribute.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
That's a very good point. :yes:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
And if someone that used to be inactive suddenly comes back, they can just wave and ask nicely to get their old status back if they intend to be active again. Little bit of communication never hurt anyone, and a little bit of precautious action on inactive members doesn't sound like a bad idea.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I've split out the questions about discord moderation their own thread, as they constitute a vastly different topic.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews

I was wondering why that site was trying to pass off Comic Sans as their own OpenDyslexic font. :wtf: Then I opened devtools and realized the browser is blocking their own font from rendering due to CORS. :rolleyes:

Regardless, I know the current forum theme isn't perfect (since I made it but never fully completed it), but it is fully responsive, meaning that it works on small screens just as well as on large ones. So you should be able to simply increase the zoom (CTRL-mousewheel or CTRL-+) in-browser to get the perfect screen size for you. The browser should remember that zoom level per-domain.

Is that sufficient?

Yup, that works. I would suggest putting this on the front page for anyone who doesn't already know this (or had forgotten about it)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Here's a thing that I just thought of: should users be able to edit their own Custom Title? I understand that this was allowed in the very early days of HLP, but it was later restricted to being given out only by admins as a sort of reflection of the user's behaviour based on their actions here.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

I'd like to offer a few suggestions based on the list you wrote about looking at HLP as a whole.

- Social Media Aspect: I've been almost completely unaware of the existence of the HLP Twitter/Facebook/Youtube, and despite being one of the more active members here, I was actually very surprised to find all three actually existed.
The core problem is that neither of the three accounts really try to make people aware that it exists. They just post news and that's it. Social Media is a ruthless desert where everyone fights for attention, so it'd help to make their presence a bit more "aggressive". Perhaps by generously using appropriate space related hashtags on Twitter can already help improve its presence (lord knows it helped me with my art account, for how little I used it).

- Main Website: The question "What are the boards even good for?" is one I see occasionally tossed around. So far their main point is to act as a bulletin board for mods, how to install them, etc. But it doesn't have to be that. Something to engage the forum population, get them interested, organise friendly modding competition to inspire fresh modders, bring back the monthly HLP Newsletter. Stuff like that.

I'd write more but I also need to work towards my studies a bit. Expect more later.

There is an instagram account too, but nothing recent has been posted there...
Requiescat in pace

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Here's a thing that I just thought of: should users be able to edit their own Custom Title? I understand that this was allowed in the very early days of HLP, but it was later restricted to being given out only by admins as a sort of reflection of the user's behaviour based on their actions here.

There are two aren't there?

Aken tigh Dekker is my own shout,  HLP is my mistress was karajormas idea once I got married.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yep. We stopped giving out titles years ago. But those who already had them get to keep them if they want.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Lorric

Yep. We stopped giving out titles years ago. But those who already had them get to keep them if they want.
And you're allowed to get staff to have your custom title removed if you don't like it.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I've been called worse 😂👍
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Strygon

• So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    • Steam
I'm still curious what mine would have been, if I were to be given one. :thinking:
Makes missions sometimes.
Finished Projects: Operation: Cloak and Dagger

Current Projects: Scrolls Part 2 (FREDding), Dimensional Eclipse (Art),
The First Contact War, GTDr Amazon HTL

[23:22] strypolygon: andrew
[23:22] strypolygon: i have one favor to ask of you
[23:22] strypolygon: never try speaking german again
[23:23] Andrewofdoom: No.

[18:50] 島風改八百三: the duck has multipli
[18:50] 島風改八百三: many duck
[18:50] 島風改八百三: left side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: even side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: handle it

[21:34] MP-Ryan: Why on earth would you Google this
[21:34] The_E: why would you not

[06:46] Strigon: how big is a mini-campaign again?
[06:46] Asteroth: smaller than a campaign
[06:47 ]Strigon: thanks

[05:56] Strigon: If I had to take a shot for each time I randomly decided to change the UI sounds, I'd have died of alcohol poisoning by now

[17:36] qazwsxal: time to have some fun
[17:41] z64555: VC++5 is not my idea of fun

[EatThePath] do your missiles do anything absurd?
[Strigon] describe absurd
[Strigon] the entire mod is absurd

request to name Strygon the Designated Cutie