Site Management > Site Support / Feedback

The Paradox of Tolerance, or: When is it okay to punch a Nazi?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Rhymes:
Tbh I agree. It feels like we're all collectively going down a rat hole on this stuff rather than focusing on "how do we deal with the day-to-day interaction with regulars in the community." I think it's at least partially my fault  :blah:

Mongoose:
It is somewhat understandable given recent events, but it's also not something that's historically been a recurring problem here. I think I can safely speak for the rest of the mods in that we have absolutely no tolerance for intolerance.

Grizzly:

--- Quote from: Phantom Hoover on February 08, 2021, 02:04:56 pm ---I really don't think we need all these posts about Nazis, honestly. Does anyone actually want to keep them around...?

--- End quote ---
They'll have to suffer through a bunch of us being openly gay, trans, jewish or what have you if they do manage to stick around somehow so really them sticking around is much more painful for them then it is for us :P

The E:
I feel like this repeated construction of hypotheticals a bit weird. One of the core tenets of the new guidelines is that they are deliberately not exhaustively defined to account for the inherent fuzziness of human interaction, and yet here we are, in this thread and the other one, constructing scenarios in order to nail down something that almost looks like a precedent or clear parameters for moderation action.

I understand why that is, there is scar tissue that itches in this regard, but I would ask that this is a situation where some trust has to be extended to the moderators and let these situations be resolved as they arise, not in advance.

Rhymes:

--- Quote from: The E on February 08, 2021, 02:12:22 pm ---I feel like this repeated construction of hypotheticals a bit weird. One of the core tenets of the new guidelines is that they are deliberately not exhaustively defined to account for the inherent fuzziness of human interaction, and yet here we are, in this thread and the other one, constructing scenarios in order to nail down something that almost looks like a precedent or clear parameters for moderation action.

I understand why that is, there is scar tissue that itches in this regard, but I would ask that this is a situation where some trust has to be extended to the moderators and let these situations be resolved as they arise, not in advance.

--- End quote ---

Hey I only did mine because I was trying to get a sense of how the rules would work to make sure that my conception was the same as everyone else's. It wasn't meant to be an exhaustive examination or rules lawyering (and it's rather frustrating to have people keep referring to it that way). I think people are trying to figure out "hey, what the **** does this actually mean?" because broad principles are by definition vague and depend on what the people enforcing them take those principles to mean. It's reasonable to try to figure out what behavior is or is not problematic before getting moderated, rather than having to wait and find out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version