Author Topic: Knossos Text-to-Speech Voice Options  (Read 685 times)

Knossos Text-to-Speech Voice Options
Hello,

Could anyone help my fairly untechy self in accessing more voice options under 'Speech' in the Knossos settings? The two available to me at the moment are Microsoft Hazel Desktop and Microsoft Zira Desktop - both perfectly serviceable, but after years of the same I was hoping to be able to try something more.

In particular, I was looking at a voice available from CereProc that sounds promising (https://www.cereproc.com/node/1166), but I'd rather not buy it if it's going to be impossible to use it in Freespace. I'm running Windows 10 64-bit.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Re: Knossos Text-to-Speech Voice Options
Hi there!

I don't know a ton about the game's speech support but can try to help.

Does that web site say, maybe in one of their FAQs, which Speech API (SAPI) versions their voices support? It might be possible that different voices of theirs support different versions, not sure.

Also, does that web site have a free or "free trial" voice? You could install that and see if Knossos can find it.

Finally, I think Microsoft might have additional voices that you can download for free. While they may not be as good as voices you can buy, at least you can try them with the game without having to spend money.

Just some ideas....
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 12:49:42 pm by jg18 »

Re: Knossos Text-to-Speech Voice Options
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. On the website, they state that their 'SAPI voices are compatible with Microsoft SAPI 5 and are supported on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 and Windows 11. They appear in the Windows Text-to-Speech Control Panel.'

The funny thing is that I currently have 4 voices available under 'Speech' in Win 10 (Microsoft George, Hazel, Susan, Sean) but the only overlap with the available Knossos voices is Microsoft Hazel.

I wonder if Knossos doesn't actually read what's on your PC but just comes pre-loaded with its 2 default voices. Can someone on the forum who works on Knossos confirm that and maybe suggest a way of using additional voices in Knossos? Thanks very much.