Author Topic: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.15.0-dev+73b131a (combined launcher/installer)  (Read 423158 times)

Offline Gu57avo

• Steam
    • Twitter
Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.13.3 (combined launcher/installer)
So, I've been trying to make this game work for the past 3 days, I would have been fine if i could play the original one.
But anyway, fs2 didn't work, and i tried fso, it didn't run because my graphics card doesn't support OpenGL 3.2, and i didn't find a way to change the video mode except in one of the launchers that didn't also give options except for yes you guessed it... OpenGL
So i decided to try knossos to see if it was any different, and it gave me the error in the picture attached (my driver is compatible with OpenGL 3.1 btw)  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
I want to ask the creator behind the Knossos launcher a question: Is it possible to download my development mod from Knossos itself on other machine?
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
Upload it as a private mod and then sign into Knossos on the other computer.
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Just dropped in to say that I've just reinstalled FSO for the first time in about 2 years, so this is the first time I've used it, and to ngld and the other contributors all I have to say is:

Good.
Godamned.
Job.

What a breath of fresh air from the days of manual installation.  This thing is phenomenal, well done.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Hi folks

Forgive me for asking what is likely a silly question.

I saw Knossos which looks fantastic, installed it and started downloading content.  In the settings I specified my target directory (Data Path) for the mods to be some arbitrary folder where they could all be neatly stored.  Something like ..\Games\FreespaceOpen.    This is NOT my retail FS2 folder.

So, content downloaded ok but . . . 

How am I then supposed to use that content?

If I run fs2_open_3_8_0_SSE2 from my retail folder, I just get the standard game with the standard campaign.
There are no options within there to point it to or add the additional campaigns I have downloaded.

There is nothing I can see in Knossos that allows me to run a campaign

I have WXLauncher installed which I thought was the old way of doing things.  If I run that then in the MODS tab I can see extra campaigns that were downloaded with the FSOInstaller (NOT the content downloaded via Knossos).  There is no option in that MODS tab to specify an alternate folder where additional campaigns are stored (i.e. those from Knossos).

Hence I am thoroughly confused.

Simple questions then.

1)  What executable am I supposed to use to run Freespace 2 (with mods)?   I assume its  fs2_open_3_8_0_SSE2

2)  How or where do I tell that programme to point to content downloaded by Knossos?

Thanks in advance

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
If you've downloaded a mod in Knossos, you can run that mod through Knossos by simply selecting it on the Play tab.  To play the retail FS2 campaign, you'd probably want to use the MediaVPs mod (though you can even load the original retail data by selecting Retail FS2). You don't ever have to open the actual folder to launch FSO; everything is handled through Knossos, much as it is in a games launcher like Steam.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
If you've downloaded a mod in Knossos, you can run that mod through Knossos by simply selecting it on the Play tab.
The Play tab is currently called the Home tab. I’ve been meaning to suggest to ngld that it should be renamed Play (a much more intuitive and self-explanatory name IMO) with a new icon to match. “Play” would also lime up nicely with the verb theme established by Explore.

Appreciate the replies all

However still making no sense

In my HOME tab in Knossos I see 2 entries which are FSO and FS2 Retail.    In the EXPLORE tab I have all the available mods of which 2 have been downloaded including Blue Planet.

In the HOME tab, clicking on FSO doesn't offer any PLAY options

In the HOME tab clicking on FS2 Retail DOES offer a PLAY option and if I take it FS2 runs but says I have no campaigns.   One of the options at that point is to go to the in game campaigns screen and in there, there is nothing, not even the main FS2 campaign.

That might be because I have now begun playing the original FS1 Port Mod using WXLauncher, don't know.

Regardless, how would I use KNOSSOS to play Blue Planet ?

It doesn't appear in that HOME TAB and in the EXPLORE tab is just has the basic options of Install, Details & Cancel

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Appreciate the replies all

However still making no sense

In my HOME tab in Knossos I see 2 entries which are FSO and FS2 Retail.    In the EXPLORE tab I have all the available mods of which 2 have been downloaded including Blue Planet.

In the HOME tab, clicking on FSO doesn't offer any PLAY options

In the HOME tab clicking on FS2 Retail DOES offer a PLAY option and if I take it FS2 runs but says I have no campaigns.   One of the options at that point is to go to the in game campaigns screen and in there, there is nothing, not even the main FS2 campaign.

That might be because I have now begun playing the original FS1 Port Mod using WXLauncher, don't know.

Regardless, how would I use KNOSSOS to play Blue Planet ?

It doesn't appear in that HOME TAB and in the EXPLORE tab is just has the basic options of Install, Details & Cancel

Install BP from the Explore tab, then it will show up in the home tab and you can click play!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
You did point Knossos to your retail FS2 folder during install so it could copy over the needed retail files, correct?  If not, any mod based on FreeSpace 2 will not run, if I understand correctly.

Hi all

Ok brief update.  What confused me with Knossos (as a 1st time user) was that I installed Blue Planet in the EXPLORE section and it hung at 86% for a long time yet at the same time said that it was complete.   As a result I thought it was installed but obviously it wasn't and thus hadn't gone across to the main HOME screen.   I have since re-installed successfully and all is well and can now play it.

Have to say Knossos is a brilliant piece of work which seamlessly installs what is needed for end users and looks extremely professional so kudos to the dev team on that one.

I agree with prev poster that the HOME page might be better called maybe LIBRARY or MyMods or LOADED MODS or something like that.

On a slight side issue, I note that I am getting some video issues with what I have.  Most particularly in the mission briefing screens where the grid lines are all constantly twitching/flashing like there's interference.  When I was running the FS Port using Wxlauncher I also had no ship targeting brackets which is an issue I see some others have had.  Not sure what the current status of that is though.  I'm running top resolution 1366 x 768 (16:9) but changing the res doesn't fix it.  This isn't the thread to report this but I mention in case its an issue so well known that someone might have an immediate answer.  Nevertheless the game is still very playable and Blue Planet looks really polished.

Cheers all

Just registered here so I can say thank you

Recently discovered freespace 2 mods so dug out my cd roms, installed the game

But was unable to get mods working. After hours of frustration I discovered Knossos.

Now I'm playing any mod I choose in glorious 4k on my 50" tv.

So thanks for all your hard work and to all modders who have brought  Freespace 2, a great game,

Into the modern era

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Could this be an antivirus being overprotective?
By the way, what could you advise avast vs mcafee? What antivirus is most suitable for gaming laptop

Personally, I'd use Microsoft Windows Defender (built in), along with MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware.  Use uBlock Origin to block ads (many can be malicious, as well as the fake "Download" buttons that appear as "ads" when you try to get free software).

But of those two, I'd say Avast.  Perhaps the situation has changed, but from my previous dealings, Both Norton and McAfee overburden system resources, and can royally screw up a system when they're misbehaving.  Like I said, though, that may have changed.

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.12.4 (combined launcher/installer)
Could this be an antivirus being overprotective?
By the way, what could you advise avast vs mcafee? What antivirus is most suitable for gaming laptop

I also use Window's Defender (used to use Avast), it has improved quite a bit from a few years ago and is not near as resource heavy as ones like Avast, etc.

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
So I've come to a bit of an obstacle. I tried to upload a campaign to Knossos but I get an error telling me the mod has no executable selected. I'm guessing this has to do with the FSO Build, but upon changing it from default to the version the mod uses (nightly version Jan 12th) it tells me...

"failed to save the selected FSO build.  Make sure you have at least one required package."

I've dug around a bit but to no avail. Is the solution literally right in my face or did I make a big mistake?  :nervous:

Oh, also will I break my mod if I were to change the folder name? The ID is currently the ever-so elegent mod1, or is this unnecessary?

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
Mod files go in packages and, as the error states, you have to create a package before you can add any dependencies, whether they be FSO or another mod.  See https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oHq1YRc1eXbCgW-NqqKo1-6N_myfZzoBdwZuP16XImA/edit?pli=1# for more details on packages.  In short, without packages, you can't actually have a mod.
The easiest way to rename your mod is in the Details tab.
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
The link PIe posted is a general guide which explains the whole mod creation & upload process so you should read that in any case.
You can't actually change the mod ID once the mod has been created (and the folder name is generated based on that ID). You can rename your folder but that won't affect anyone else. Anyone who installs your mod later will get a folder named mod1-x.x.x and your mod's download link would be fsnebula.org/mod/mod1.
The easiest solution is to create a new mod and copy everything over. If you want to experiment, you can rename the folder and replace the mod ID in the mod.json file to match the new folder name. Since you haven't uploaded your mod yet and nothing depends on your mod, it should work.

I use NSIS to build the Knossos installer. Here's the latest release post. They list AVs which detect NSIS (and installers created through it) as malware even though they're perfectly fine. I'd say that's a pretty good reason to avoid them (both are on that list).

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
Mod files go in packages and, as the error states, you have to create a package before you can add any dependencies, whether they be FSO or another mod.  See https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oHq1YRc1eXbCgW-NqqKo1-6N_myfZzoBdwZuP16XImA/edit?pli=1# for more details on packages.  In short, without packages, you can't actually have a mod.
The easiest way to rename your mod is in the Details tab.
I failed to mention that I did make a package. The mod's dependency is only for MediaVP's, and I checked the pack as VP button too, though I couldn't find the file. Thank you for the guide, I'll give it a full read.
The link PIe posted is a general guide which explains the whole mod creation & upload process so you should read that in any case.
You can't actually change the mod ID once the mod has been created (and the folder name is generated based on that ID). You can rename your folder but that won't affect anyone else. Anyone who installs your mod later will get a folder named mod1-x.x.x and your mod's download link would be fsnebula.org/mod/mod1.
The easiest solution is to create a new mod and copy everything over. If you want to experiment, you can rename the folder and replace the mod ID in the mod.json file to match the new folder name. Since you haven't uploaded your mod yet and nothing depends on your mod, it should work.
Ah I see, thank you. My main concern was in case anyone wanted to open the file sometime down the line, and keeping it titled mod1 would've been ambiguous.

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
I've gone through the guide, but still getting the same problems as before. I made a copy of the mod, packaged it first and then gave it the FSO (version 3.8.1-20190112) and MediaVP's (newest) dependencies.

For the "Adding Files" part I clicked on the mod path, but there was no VP in the "package" folder or it's subset folders. I tried this both with and without ticking the "pack the contents as .VP" box.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
The .vp file is only generated during the upload process and as such you'll never see it on your computer (since you don't really need it yourself).

Make sure the status for your package is set to required. As the error mrssage states, you need to have at least one package in your mod which has its status set to "required". If that still doesn't help, put your mod folder (mod1-x.x.x) in an archive and PM that to me (or upload it somewhere and PM me the link).