Author Topic: FSO hangs up while playing ST:R  (Read 1757 times)

Offline angus

FSO hangs up while playing ST:R
Hello and sorry for introducing myself to this community with having technical problems  ;7

I was playing FSO ST:R mod with mediaVPs and all stuff on with the nightly builds from Jan 31. 2010 (rev 5862).

After completing mission STR15.fs2 I wanted to continue (Missions str16.fs2 - or so) but during the appearance of the loading screen for the next mission FSO hangs itself up (sry bad english).
So I ran the official 3.6.10 build but the problems are the same ...
The latest (debug) build told me that FSO stops working while loading file "karnak.pof".

I attached the fs2.log-file (renamed to fsoHangUp.log) and 2 other files. The first one (missionErrors.log) is a fs2.log-file the debug build created while i tried to load several missions in the mission simulator from the st:r-campaign. The third file (modellErrors.log) is the content of the debug-output copied from the clipboard (FSO still works after these "warnings").

Last but not least my system:
WinXP SP3 32-bit
AMD Athlon X2 @2.6GHz
4GB Ram
NVidia Geforce 8800GTS 640MB
Soundblaster Audigy2
ASUS Something Mobo (nforce-chip)

If you need any further information or tell me to go to the st:r-section of hlp for whining ...

Best Regards
Angus

EDIT: typos

[attachment deleted by admin]
if bruteforce isn't solving your problem, you're not trying hard enough

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: FSO hangs up while playing ST:R
It's a known issue with ST:R. The Karnak model was shipped with a faulty cache file, causing FSO to regenerate the cache the first time it is loaded. You need to let it sit for a while while the game does this. It has been known to take a few minutes (10+ minutes, in some cases). Do not interrupt the game while this is happening, even if Windows complains about it going unresponsive.

EDIT:
Code: [Select]
  -d3d_bad_tsys
I have no idea what flag this is. Disable it, please. Same goes for -loadallweps and -safeloading.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 03:43:47 pm by The E »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline angus

Thanks for the uberquick respond!
Good to know that this 'bug' can be treated with patience...

It's a known issue with ST:R. The Karnak model was shipped with a faulty cache file, causing FSO to regenerate the cache the first time it is loaded. You need to let it sit for a while while the game does this. It has been known to take a few minutes (10+ minutes, in some cases). Do not interrupt the game while this is happening, even if Windows complains about it going unresponsive.

EDIT:
Code: [Select]
 -d3d_bad_tsys
I have no idea what flag this is. Disable it, please. Same goes for -loadallweps and -safeloading.

Sry but the launcher offered me these and they looked good at the first glance (feature-request: mark deprecated flags  :D )

Edit: found the -d3d_bad_tsys flag: the launcher says: "enable inefficient textures" (found in section troubleshoot)

Angus
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 03:51:41 pm by angus »

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Bah, I made A STICKY THREAD just for this situation and yet these posts still appear. What do I have to do, put it in the debriefing?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline angus

sorry guys double faceplam

the last thing I can say for my defense :
Until you've lost your reputation, you never realize what a burden it was or what freedom really is. (Margaret Mitchell)

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Haha, don't worry about it man - it happens. :)

Also I find half the time sticky threads just gaurantee I comptely miss noticing them completely. :p
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
On that note, closed.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me