Author Topic: Consistent crash on Her Finest Hour  (Read 6143 times)

Offline brynb

Consistent crash on Her Finest Hour
Every time I get to the point where the Carthage surrenders, I get an immediate crash to desktop with no warning — right when what I imagine must be the "choose what happens to the Carthage" text appears in the HUD (although I can only barely see it flash onto the screen before the crash occurs).  Log is attached.

- Running OS X 10.9
- Machine is a mid-2012 MacBook Pro Retina 15" (specs are here: http://support.apple.com/kb/SP653)
- Two video cards, but I assume OS X / FSO are smart enough to be using the NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5.  The other card is an Intel HD Graphics 4000.
- Reproduced numerous times with 3.7.2 RC4 Release + Debug
- Reproduced with 3.7.1_20140909_r11072 Release + Debug
- Using MediaVPs_2014
- Tried removing MV_Advanced.vp and MV_A-Glows.vp (per the recommendation of some thread I read here ... my history is too cluttered with HL.net posts now to find it quickly, though)
- Reproduced with and without the BP compatibility pack
- Have tried with various graphical settings; crash occurs at exactly the same moment regardless of these

In addition to the attached log, the system log shows some innocuous OpenGL stuff (i.e., nothing marked as an error or warning), and then reports that FS2_Open exited with status 1: "2014 Sep 11 8:38:24.315 am com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[199]: ([0x0-0x57057].FS2_Open 3.7.1_20140909_r11072 (debug)[5127]) Exited with code: 1"

Let me know if I can do more to help diagnose this!  I'm a coder (although I haven't worked on FSO or anything) so if you want to try throwing anything technical at me, it's worth a shot :)

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 12:00:24 pm by brynb »

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Re: Consistent crash on Her Finest Hour
Excellent error reporting. But which release candidate(s) of 3.7.2 did you use?  Only on my phone at the moment, so I can't really look up anything useful.

Offline brynb

Oops, sorry — I've been using 3.7.2 RC4.

Offline brynb

BTW, I'd be happy to try building + debugging in Xcode (I have Xcode5, Xcode6-beta7, and Xcode6-GM) if someone can point me towards a download for the project files.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Hmm... that log doesn't actually show a crash (just FSO closing for no apparent reason at the end).

This is slightly odd:
Code: [Select]
Found root pack '/Applications/Freespace2/mediavps_2014/MV_RadarIcons.vp' with a checksum of 0x00000000
Otherwise, your checksums all seem fine (and by the way, the BP Compatibility Packs are included with the version of Blue Planet available from the installer; otherwise you wouldn't have been able to run Blue Planet at all without them, since the deferred lighting code is still not in standard builds).

Does this happen if you play the mission through the tech room, or just during the campaign? (You can hit ctrl+shift+S to temporarily make all missions available in the mission simulator.)
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline brynb

Hey, yeah ... come to think of it, I consistently had trouble getting the Java-based FSO installer to install/download MV_RadarIcons.vp (not sure if it was the installing or downloading that failed).  I forgot about that whole issue because I got through the entire FS2 campaign as well as BP1 and BP2 (up to M21) without a hitch.  Let me see if it helps to re-download that file through alternate means.

I'll also attempt to play via the Tech Room and report back.  So far it's just been happening in the campaign.

Question — pilot files are no longer borkable in 3.7.x, right?  I switched to the STL mod for a bit before I read anything about campaign-switching being a big no-no, but from what I've read, it's no longer considered a big problem.  I'm not experiencing any of the corrupted-pilot-related weirdness described in other threads.

Question — my event.log for BP2 (~/Library/FS2_Open/blueplanet2/event.log) was REALLY big (like on the order of ~20 MB) after experiencing this problem.  It's since been wiped somehow (I guess because I've played a couple of other missions in the meantime?) but if it gets big again, I'll attach a snippet of it.  As I recall, the file was full of the same few events being logged over and over again (mainly stuff regarding the Deneira (sp?) and Iolanthe being near-death).  Could this indicate some kind of unintentional scripting recursion, or did you guys just leave some heavy logging enabled in the most recent build of that mission?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 12:59:31 pm by brynb »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Question — pilot files are no longer borkable in 3.7.x, right?  I switched to the STL mod for a bit before I read anything about campaign-switching being a big no-no, but from what I've read, it's no longer considered a big problem.  I'm not experiencing any of the corrupted-pilot-related weirdness described in other threads.
Well, nothing is bug-free, but it is no longer recommended to keep a different pilot file for every mod, no. I've been using the same, single pilot since 3.7.0 final was released.

Question — my event.log for BP2 (~/Library/FS2_Open/blueplanet2/event.log) was REALLY big (like on the order of ~20 MB) after experiencing this problem.  It's since been wiped somehow (I guess because I've played a couple of other missions in the meantime?) but if it gets big again, I'll attach a snippet of it.  As I recall, the file was full of the same few events being logged over and over again (mainly stuff regarding the Deneira (sp?) and Iolanthe being near-death).  Could this indicate some kind of unintentional scripting recursion, or did you guys just leave some heavy logging enabled in the most recent build of that mission?
The latter; the event.log never has anything in it unless the mission designer activates logging for some events or the user makes an event snapshot (which requires either a debug build or entering cheat mode, followed by a specific key combination, and is therefore very unlikely to be done by accident). Her Finest Hour often results in a multi-megabyte event log due to the number of logging flags left in the released version of the mission.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Just to chip in, I have exactly the same problem. I'm running on Ubuntu 14.04 64bit, using an svn build of 3.7.1 (both regular and debug crash like this). Because I launched fs2 via the terminal, I can see the final output at the point it crashed:

LUA ERROR: "[string "?"]:1: attempt to index global 'wpt' (a nil value)"

------------------------------------------------------------------
ADE Debug:

Name:  (null)
Name of: 
Function type:  main
Defined on:  0
Upvalues:  0

Source:  bp2-equip-sct.tbm - On Weapon Equipped
Short source:  [string "bp2-equip-sct.tbm - On Weapon Equipped"]
Current line:  9
LUA Stack:

[string "?"]:1: attempt to index global 'wpt' (a nil value)

Looking at the log (attached) only the 3.6.12 mediaVPs are being loaded (it's set to load the 2014 ones as well, but there's a naming mismatch on the folders, I think) Again, there's nothing particularly worrying to my untrained eye in the logs. Using the debug version the framerate took a dive every second. Blue Planet came from the FS2 Open installer. AFAIK FS2 is using the GTX 670, instead of the intel 4600 in the i7-4790K CPU

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Just to chip in, I have exactly the same problem. I'm running on Ubuntu 14.04 64bit, using an svn build of 3.7.1 (both regular and debug crash like this). Because I launched fs2 via the terminal, I can see the final output at the point it crashed:

LUA ERROR: "[string "?"]:1: attempt to index global 'wpt' (a nil value)"

ADE Debug:

Name:  (null)
Name of: 
Function type:  main
Defined on:  0
Upvalues:  0

Source:  bp2-equip-sct.tbm - On Weapon Equipped
Short source:  [string "bp2-equip-sct.tbm - On Weapon Equipped"]
Current line:  9
LUA Stack:

[string "?"]:1: attempt to index global 'wpt' (a nil value)
Hmm. I can't find any reference to "wpt" in any of BP2's scripts, let alone bp2-equip-sct.tbm, and the only "On Weapon Equipped" block in bp2-equip-sct.tbm is the one for the ERA kit, which... doesn't seem to be indexing anything.

Looking at the log (attached) only the 3.6.12 mediaVPs are being loaded (it's set to load the 2014 ones as well, but there's a naming mismatch on the folders, I think) Again, there's nothing particularly worrying to my untrained eye in the logs. Using the debug version the framerate took a dive every second. Blue Planet came from the FS2 Open installer. AFAIK FS2 is using the GTX 670, instead of the intel 4600 in the i7-4790K CPU
It... really, really shouldn't be trying to load two versions of the MediaVPs. Here's the secondarylist from my /blueplanet2/mod.ini:
secondarylist = blueplanet,mediavps_2014;
In addition, bp2-compat.vp and bp-compat.vp should have been deleted by the FSO installer.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Cleaned up the vps and the mod.ini, unfortunately no dice.

I'll try downloading direct, rather than via the installer.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Found root pack '/media/peter/Main/Games/FreeSpace2/mv_core.vp' with a checksum of 0xb6cb1f6a
Found root pack '/media/peter/Main/Games/FreeSpace2/mv_effects.vp' with a checksum of 0x1986a43c
Found root pack '/media/peter/Main/Games/FreeSpace2/mv_models.vp' with a checksum of 0x2f8a711a
Found root pack '/media/peter/Main/Games/FreeSpace2/mv_music.vp' with a checksum of 0xcca92482
Found root pack '/media/peter/Main/Games/FreeSpace2/mv_textures.vp' with a checksum of 0x2c43a80e
Why are these in your root folder?

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

No good reason - I don't think I've deleted anything from my install since 3.6.8 until very recently (I am a bad person :-P )

I can't use the premade executables (I think it's because they were written for 32bit, and my install of linux hasn't had that particular bug ironed out yet), but could someone try a pre 3.7.x version?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I'm pretty sure that Blueplanet needs at least 3.7.0 to run correctly.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline brynb

Hey, finally got a chance to run through the mission a few more times per your suggestions, AdmiralRalwood — unfortunately, I'm still seeing a crash in the same place each time.  I got a fresh download of the MV_RadarIcons file that was showing a bad checksum, and I also tried playing from the Tech Room, but no dice.  I'm down to try more troubleshooting / bug hunting if you have any other thoughts.  Just let me know!

Also, is there anything in the "Troubleshooting" section of the launcher that might yield something useful?  I don't really have the time to try checking each option individually and doing a run-through, but if you think of a few in particular, I'm happy to give it a go.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
If you're happy to do some code debugging that grabbing a stacktrace/backtrace could be useful.  The code is here: 

svn://svn.icculus.org/fs2open/trunk/fs2_open (main repo)
or
https://github.com/scp-fs2open/fs2open.github.com (clone)

The XCode project is under projects/Xcode[4]/ (I've not personally used them so I'm not sure exactly which one you want).

Lastly, I don't think there's anything in the launcher troubleshooting section that would relate to this issue. Some of the graphics based ones could maybe (possibly) help, but I'd have expected those issues to occur earlier (in the Icarus cutscene in particular).
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Niffiwan, is there any way of comparing files with your install to see if there are any differences? (struck me after reading your sig that you're running a very similar setup, so if yours works then we could see what's different?)

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Sure - here's some info, just note that I have some extra files hanging around from testing/bugfixing that you don't need. (i.e. ignore everything in the data dirs)

Code: (all my files) [Select]
$ ls -R blueplanet blueplanet2 mediavps_2014/
blueplanet:
adv-bp.vp  Blue Planet - Forums.url  Blue Planet - Homepage.url  Blue Planet - Troubleshooting.url  bp-audio1.vp  bp-audio2.vp  bp-core.vp  bplogo.bmp  bp-visuals1.vp  bp-visuals2.vp  data  mod.ini

blueplanet/data:
missions

blueplanet/data/missions:
bp-22.fs2.dis

blueplanet2:
abp2-hud-font-fix.vp.dis  adv-bp2.vp  Blue Planet - Forums.url  Blue Planet - Homepage.url  Blue Planet - Troubleshooting.url  bp2-audio1.vp  bp2-core.vp  bp2-visuals1.vp  bp2-visuals2.vp  bplogo.bmp  data  mod.ini

blueplanet2/data:
fonts  interface  tables

blueplanet2/data/fonts:
bg01.vf  font01.vf  font02.vf  font03.vf

blueplanet2/data/interface:
fonttool.pcx

blueplanet2/data/tables:
bp2-main-hall.tbm.dis  fonts.tbl.dis  test-hlp.tbm.dis

mediavps_2014/:
FSU-MVP.bmp  FSU-MVP_small.bmp  mod.ini  MV_Advanced.vp  MV_A-Glows.vp  MV_Assets.vp  MV_CB_ANI_1.vp  MV_CB_ANI_2.vp  MV_Effects.vp  MV_Music.vp  MV_RadarIcons.vp  MV_Root.vp  readme.txt

And sha256sums of the VP files:

$ sha256sum *vp blueplanet/*vp blueplanet2/*vp mediavps_2014/*vp
c2077e29486ee299147078c515f3931bba3d3124d3c0dfd91c6cb93671eee7f4  multi-mission-pack.vp
113a7ce39462cdb5bdbeb21120de97cc8f2145aecfaab9f7d9e828781efcf7db  multi-voice-pack.vp
a796243434945af28f16331421bf472efbc86de86d47c39c1b399bcf7fe2bd6a  root_fs2.vp
3307d19f06fba6ca57b3982aca077e23c1b8344791d2974ccfd54dc3cf16dd9a  smarty_fs2.vp
72df504ac5a2fdadf28b11aba255ed4bc5e1add6dc773ca2653d8d81fc5c4a92  sparky_fs2.vp
ff82ebae70372665fdcebb0bfb8ee89e2635f6d4eaaa23ba33260b567ca16db7  sparky_hi_fs2.vp
e6da7b2320b037d4f523d82fe844df8278a47e5c006332a99faf45095787bcd2  stu_fs2.vp
164a0c5b910f0cbb2eb0c2a0e7679a271a517ebec3a3163f6e902ff983b23238  tango1_fs2.vp
3570d261dfdfccf914969ba9365d28559bd28ad13a696c139fd2248324853fdb  tango2_fs2.vp
36b01ab93ef2c290210d7755a29458bb4606763c8fe7561d47ff431703a2e171  tango3_fs2.vp
d1a8a8d363b5d612df915ca0610a083ebcec2ade74f4b6343920534b181c1bac  warble_fs2.vp
474a6d85d701c376d15e7697029f5bd70a883f8af5653eaa37435d0b1b6997c8  blueplanet/adv-bp.vp
fc82922c7539fca1f84381eeaa3e7c63bd4650d45fd65dc26db652d545ac6df0  blueplanet/bp-audio1.vp
6be8fe2614a96b70909618117117a5d1a8cc83a4b740c8b36a5f1857c6818df4  blueplanet/bp-audio2.vp
b009626e844ebe951cd27ee44ba17030892b5a434414ab121f6e7e04ea29f006  blueplanet/bp-core.vp
046c359e6b3d19200d063981fe1e952c20e633bfc113dc057f29f0acaf7010b3  blueplanet/bp-visuals1.vp
f140bd4e43c8db18e0a5a2a2d7395ad647f970669d9d8c5183944c1cd06126f3  blueplanet/bp-visuals2.vp
51feebeec05130bea2a261cfef15baeb9b44e63413be800d147fe0161bd87ca0  blueplanet2/adv-bp2.vp
26d494070c32e4e1c0e6a67e193d618ed09bd2e6f4479bd71a848aafff018232  blueplanet2/bp2-audio1.vp
8fc6f2cba95bcb60791cee88f84bbb94994713cce52c9b9c35cf2260ce1c0c66  blueplanet2/bp2-core.vp
a26529b3a4313659a5238dfe881079b0db1501fa968c33ba5b53a70119bfd745  blueplanet2/bp2-visuals1.vp
c286641fca169abb849851b0839a111b4073799f661e3a45a5e1626e37cf02e3  blueplanet2/bp2-visuals2.vp
d920de641f3256359ed323aac35b9bb383a3f3d81912ad4c7758a01ab5483a9e  mediavps_2014/MV_Advanced.vp
f3d5f64212cd7928bb39898d157984e719134242ef2abab25106ca8f315cb0e4  mediavps_2014/MV_A-Glows.vp
02f68f66da3c3ee687dd770fda88b06978424a30ee98301814ed69d8f1f808e9  mediavps_2014/MV_Assets.vp
a561008181ff0d8cb95c00be16f482f3f96961733c368168506e0e906053e5c0  mediavps_2014/MV_CB_ANI_1.vp
5d41047fa0e3d2242fa90ca272f030f53bdcc1c3fc5cf7fac6b09334882c7767  mediavps_2014/MV_CB_ANI_2.vp
4c625b8d7943483188ed1f8e617f39d19f4d405859d7f3e40b0042dcd5867fee  mediavps_2014/MV_Effects.vp
4c6152bfaa76fd1f0c2fcc439b8c57fd011e27f0d07489b0436affbf9f6e519c  mediavps_2014/MV_Music.vp
9bb966decf8452c8fabf917105d5d2626f82dd23dca0704dae039fed384dae0c  mediavps_2014/MV_RadarIcons.vp
421d0154606ea4aa2af0ff384c87c84ffa4cfad332a5453bf963a73effa2bcbf  mediavps_2014/MV_Root.vp
----
----

Thank you!

Aha! I don't appear to have the font fix - as BP is crashing just before a textbox comes up that *might* be the reason. Though other text stuff has worked before, but you never know! Also, bp2-core.vp has a different checksum. This is different on both the version I downloaded using the FSO installer and direct from the thread (which both have the same checksum)

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Hmm.. I just grabbed blueplanet2 again using the installer and I got the same sha256sum as before:
$ sha256sum ../fsoi/blueplanet2/bp2-core.vp
8fc6f2cba95bcb60791cee88f84bbb94994713cce52c9b9c35cf2260ce1c0c66  ../fsoi/blueplanet2/bp2-core.vp

Maybe it's been updated since you downloaded it?

Also, I wouldn't expect the font fix VP to fix the crash, it only fixes some icons/gauges in the HUD.

Lastly, I just realised that I can't see a fs2_open.log from you :)  Could you please post one?
----
----