General FreeSpace > FreeSpace Discussion

So, you bought a 3D Printer...(How to print models from FS2)

<< < (2/3) > >>

Colonol Dekker:
Elegoo neptune 2 is so quiet I slept while it was printing next to me.

Magnitospheria:
Re: loudness (and apologies for how late this is) most FDM printers arre pretty middle of the road devices. Loud computer fans in say a gaming laptop are a pretty good equivalent comparison.

I built a MDF Box with a simple door with a plastic window to look in on it, my printer sits inside. It serves twofold to dampen noise and to provide a more thermally stable environment for the printer (it really makes a difference to print reliability, Its definitely worth doing). With the printer in the box and running in the lounge it's not intrusive at all beyond a mild hum. 3MM MDF or Plywood panels are more than sufficient, and you can use 10-20mm timber rods to brace it for a little extra stiffness. MDF and Ply are pretty simple materials. If you've cut cardboard to make a box, this is not any more difficult. And MDF panels are likely available in the sizes you'd want for the box anyway.

Colonol Dekker:
I've got nothing worthy of showing yet, but I do have a tip to counter stringing i encountered during the learning process.   Heat gun.   In moderation, be super gentle with bit and watch the stringing shrivel up and vanish.

+ Rennie Ash +:
Is it possible for us to create a "readied models" repository so that people can store ships ready for printing (or at least the model, open in your preferred slicer)?
Or is that going to violate certain rights?

Magnitospheria:
I did think about setting up a Thingiverse account and putting the ones I've personally processed there. It's a little dicey though because the models aren't mine y'know?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version