Author Topic: FS1 vs FS2 weapons  (Read 3208 times)

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
I have recently made sort of database to FSwiki about the weapons from both FS1 and FS2. I just noted that you are using FS2 in FSport (i have got version 2.3) weapons if they happen to be overlapping. Couldn't this break balance in some of the missions, as for example fs2 prometheus S is a different weapon than the prometheus from fs 1 as are the FS2 'child' warheads compared to FS1 versions?

It was just something i came across while doing the comparison lists.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
The Prometheus S is the same as the Prometheus from FS1, maybe just slightly more powerful.

AFAIK the child warheads were carried over from FS1 for reasons beyond me.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
No it isn't. The velocity and range differ quite significantly.
Look at the weapon comparison tables in the wiki for all the details.

Yeah, Cobra is wrong again.  The Prom from FS1 is very much different from the Prom S, and even the Prom R is arguably too different with the damage balance between hull and shields to be a respectable stand in.  However v3 will use all the proper weapons, so it's not a problem.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
No it isn't. The velocity and range differ quite significantly.
Look at the weapon comparison tables in the wiki for all the details.

True, but it did say in the FS2 briefings that the S was based on the original design. It could be that V just adjusted those things for game balance purposes.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Solatar

"based on design" =/= "is design"

I'm sure it's just the Great War Prometheus with 32 years of weapons technologies.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Yeah, these are a few issues we'll be fixing in 3.0.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
well, i was talking story-wise...
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Prom-O =/ Prom-S

Prom-O:
Mass:               0.2
Velocity:            450.0
Fire Wait:            0.3
Base Damage:            20
Armor/Shield/Subsys:      1.3 / 0.7 / 0.35
Lifetime:            2.0
Energy Consumed:      0.40

Prom-S:
Mass:                                 0.2
Velocity:                             750.0                           ;; speed of the weapon (initially) -- may or may not change
Fire Wait:                            0.35                            ;; in seconds
Base Damage:                               30
Armor/Shield/Subsys:      0.9 / 1.0 / 0.35
Lifetime:                 2.0
Energy Consumed:      1.0

So, the Prom-S does more damage per shot, has much better shield damage, and 600m more range. It does
consume much more energy, though, and has a slightly slower refire rate.

Those who try to say the two are equal will be trouted.  :hopping:
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Gunteen6

• Don't let life get you down! Get up! Go!
    • S31-IKS Parent Boards
 :shaking: NOOOOO!!! NOT THE TROUT!!! :shaking:
Gunteen6 is now S31-Syntax! If I could change the name, I would!

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
No need to bump old topic, Gunt. :)