Author Topic: Cache files not getting generated/saved (for Col_BS_Sobek.pof etc.)?  (Read 1841 times)

Offline AMRVD

Cache files not getting generated/saved (for Col_BS_Sobek.pof etc.)?
All,

I'm running Diaspora 1.0.3 on Windows 7 SP1 64-bit. (NOTE: the download file for the 1.0.4 patch 'Diaspora_R1_Patch_1.0.4.exe' seems to be corrupted - there is always a "size mismatch" when I try to get it from the diaspora.fs2downloads.com server).

All the mission loading screens are hanging for a few minutes (up to 150 seconds in some cases) with the text at the top being "ModelLoad: Col_BS_Sobek.pof" and later other models such as "cyl_battlestar.pof".  This happens in every mission. When this is going on, one of the 8 cores in the machine is running at 100% utilisation, the other 7 are unused or barely used by other applications.

My understanding is that caches of these models would be created the first time ModelLoad is called on them and those cache files used in future to dramatically reduce loading times. Am I wrong here? As this certainly does not appear to be happening. Even when I'm launching 'fs2_open_Diaspora_R1_Debug.exe' with "run as administrator", no files end up in "C:\Games\Diaspora\Data\cache" and I can't find any others in my user account's AppData directory.

The following command is being used to launch Diaspora:

Code: [Select]
C:\Games\Diaspora\fs2_open_Diaspora_R1_Debug.exe -3dshockwave -soft_particles -fxaa -targetinfo -rearm_timer
-ambient_factor 90 -spec_exp 0.7 -spec_tube 1.0 -spec_point 0.7 -spec_static 1.0 -ogl_spec 15 -bloom_intensity 20
-cap_object_update 0

Is this just one of those things that's normal / needs to be put up with? or should I find missions which have been loaded before load in a much shorter time frame the 2nd ... n-th time around?

I've tried running "C:\Games\Diaspora\fs2_open_Diaspora_R1_Debug.exe -pofspew" and again, nothing turns up in Data/cache/, although "Data/pofspew.txt" is generated and Data/fs2_open.log etc. are updated.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 11:59:24 am by AMRVD »

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Re: Cache files not getting generated/saved (for Col_BS_Sobek.pof etc.)?
(NOTE: the download file for the 1.0.4 patch 'Diaspora_R1_Patch_1.0.4.exe' seems to be corrupted - there is always a "size mismatch" when I try to get it from the diaspora.fs2downloads.com server).
30 sec of search yielded this.

You're welcome.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline AMRVD

I had/have tried that server as well (in fact I googled for "Diaspora_R1_Patch_1.0.4.exe" and only found two servers to download from, and both files/servers suffer the same problem.)

From: http://www.freespacemods.net/files/patches/Diaspora_R1_Patch_1.0.4.exe
To: C:\Users\Alex\Desktop\Diaspora_R1_Patch_1.0.4.exe
Size: 38.5 MB (40,352,532 bytes)
Transferred: 38.5 MB (40,344,492 bytes)
Download Complete. ERROR: !!! File Size Mismatch !!!

When attempting to run the downloaded file the following error is shown: "The setup files are courrupted. Please obtain a new copy of the program"

Diaspora_R1_Patch_1.0.4.exe
40,344,492 bytes (38.4 MB)

CRC-32: 1a435c86
   MD5: d8605046092ad316cbe87dea3be6e6b9
 SHA-1: ad38774d87723f9411f986040d560484c67fc79c

Anyway... will applying the 1.0.4 patch actually solve the problem I'm talking about in my original post?

EDIT/UPDATE: Thanks to the member who uploaded the patch to Dropbox and shared it with me. I'll apply it and see if it solves the issue.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 02:10:37 pm by AMRVD »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Just downloaded the patch from fsmods, ran just fine. I'll mirror it on my dropbox and send you a link.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
On the loading times, my experience has been that Diaspora takes significantly longer to load missions than other FSO based mods/TCs (although I haven't timed the differences).  Debug will also be slower than release.  Diaspora already has the model cache files (*.bx) generated & present in the R1_Ships.vp file, so I don't believe that the files will be created in C:\Games\Diaspora\Data\cache.  In short, I don't think that anything is wrong, it just reflects the level of detail in the Sobek/BaseStars.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...