Author Topic: Steam on Linux now official  (Read 4443 times)

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Steam on Linux now official
http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/

They've launched an official blog, and I'm very excited. :)

Unsurprisingly they are targeting ubuntu first. Other distros may follow.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Mikes

Re: Steam on Linux now official
A small step for Steam, but a huge step for Linux ? :)

ughh ubuntu it used to be good till they started cramming unity down my throat. oh well that's what minimal installs from the ground up are for and steam on linux is good motivation to pick it up again

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
enter linux mint for ubuntu done properly :p
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Alright! Looking forward to this  :p :yes:

ughh ubuntu it used to be good till they started cramming unity down my throat. oh well that's what minimal installs from the ground up are for and steam on linux is good motivation to pick it up again

Never did get what people's problem with Unity was. Sure, it's different, but I for one like my OS to have a half-way decent (and decent looking) GUI. I absolutely hate the boxed in feeling the bars at the top and bottom of the Gnome desktop create.

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin

Never did get what people's problem with Unity was. Sure, it's different, but I for one like my OS to have a half-way decent (and decent looking) GUI. I absolutely hate the boxed in feeling the bars at the top and bottom of the Gnome desktop create.

I second this. I don't mind Unity at all, but I hate the double-bar Gnome setup.

That's why there are so many different distros. :D

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
I have no problems with Unity and GNOME3 even. I prefer KDE or Cinnamon though.

I wouldn't worry too much about the initial steam release being ubuntu only. I doubt much effort will be necessary to rip open the .deb and install things on other distros.
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
Two things I want to add to this discussion.

1: Native Steam Client! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! *Happydance*

2: Anyone who's at all put off by unity/gnome3 should really consider trying kde. Kubuntu and/or the kde mint spin have been very nearly a perfect desktop experience for me, this past year, ever since they got the kde 4.0/4.1 issues straightened out.
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

hmmm i wonder if GLaDOS would say anything unique in the linux version of portal (if there is going to be one)

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Serious-Sam-3-Now-Runs-on-Linux-282443.shtml

Serious Sam 3 coming to Linux.

Linux may be pretty fun soon.

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Serious-Sam-3-Now-Runs-on-Linux-282443.shtml

Serious Sam 3 coming to Linux.

Linux may be pretty fun soon.
this is no big surprise, as i believe, both TFE & TSE and the sequel were previously ported to linux as well, so Croteam should have a reasonably portable codebase anyhow.
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Mikes

Linux becoming a viable platform for a majority of highend PC games would be beyond awesome... would be ;)

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft

I second this. I don't mind Unity at all, but I hate the double-bar Gnome setup.

That's why there are so many different distros. :D
When Unity first showed up, it was full of bugs. Now though, it's very amazing. I myself was never put off by the fact that it had lots of bugs even in the beginning, so I felt that it got from good to better.

Really, there's no reason to be put off by Ubuntu. As been said, just because it goes to Ubuntu first doesn't mean you have to stick with Unity. Try the other desktops environment if you hate it so much. It's beyond a doubt that Ubuntu has the largest share of Linux users, so it makes perfect sense to start there first.

EDIT: To understand Unity, watch this: http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/W2LGmY796wQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&    <--- Start on 15:40

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Not really surprising considering that Gabe has already said that he considers Windows 8 to be a catastrophe.

I wouldn't celebrate too much yet. It's quite possible that this is simply an attempt to get MS to back down over certain plans for Windows 8.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Even so, it still means Steam will be available for Ubuntu. ;)

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Not really surprising considering that Gabe has already said that he considers Windows 8 to be a catastrophe [for game developers / Steam].

I wouldn't celebrate too much yet. It's quite possible that this is simply an attempt to get MS to back down over certain plans for Windows 8.

Fixed that for you.  The other way kind of implied that the OS itself would suck (I have no idea, I haven't looked into it yet), which isn't quite what he said.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

Yeah but if MS back down tomorrow, it could result in you having Steam for Ubuntu and 1 game port. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net

Yeah but if MS back down tomorrow, it could result in you having Steam for Ubuntu and 1 game port. :p

It's safe to say that several of these will make their way to steam as long as it makes its way to linux.

Formerly known as Swantz

Online Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Not only that, but if Valve's already ported one Source game, I'm guessing the others won't be far behind.