Author Topic: A Halo Thread  (Read 4478 times)

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
So... um... why did Microsoft/Bungie stop letting there be PC versions of Halo games? Especially Halo Wars, because everybody knows RTS' are always better on PC.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
here's my wild guess.

halo 2 was released for vista only in a marketing stunt to try to boost vista sales.  pc gamers, being the glorious master race that they are, saw right through it, and said "**** that, i'll just not play halo 2," and halo 2 pc sales tanked.  they therefore deemed it financially unsound to continue porting halo games to PC, and decided to stick to the vast market of mainstream idiots that is Xbox.  this has the added benefit of selling a few more consoles to pc gamers who REALLY want to play halo.

no, i cannot back any of that up. 
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
There was complaint about piracy at the time, but I think the bottom line was that Halo CE just didn't run well when it came out, and so it tanked.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
this has the added benefit of selling a few more consoles to pc gamers who REALLY want to play halo.

my question is why? there are way better fpses out there on pc than halo. i also find the graphics engine really buggy on pc. besides that i found the bad guys too cute to shoot at. it kinda reminded me of descent 3 actually, in that respect. bad guys just shouldnt be cute. though if it did have one redeeming factor, it was the coop play. something that has been missing form pc fpses since quake 2.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 05:56:21 pm by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
This can be traced back to stuff Bungie has said in recent years. Along with some stuff you'll find in the community.

1. Halo 1 was a much larger hit than anyone had dreamed. Halo 2 Bungie overshot themselves with ideas and didn't plan properly, they went over budget, over time, and
smacked all the could together into H2 and it showed. Read back through some of the video logs and the staff talks about it in detail. What got cut from H2 they tried to
figure out what was good or bad, and added some of it to H3.

2. Halo 1 is quite moddable, plenty of sites out there for that. Some of the tools were released by one of the companies that helped produce it for PC. Halo 2 has several things
like copy protection and locked out files that have kept it from being modded almost at all. They are almost night and day comparisons. The PC community wishes H2 was open,
but there's no provided tools, and no one succeeded in cracking it open far enough. So it's a dead issue.

3. Microsoft if I remember right, dictated that H2 had to be the poster child for the Games for Windows program, and that screwed a lot up.  Far fewer people bought H2 on PC than
on console, plus with no community support due to modding, it fell flat on it's ass sales wise. So MS cut it's losses and told Bungie to focus on the console, as they had done from the
beginning. There was also competition from other much more well known PC FPS titles back then. Essentially the PC version of Halo was Microsoft's spin off... and they killed it themselves.

4. Bungie hasn't been the one to handle any of the H1 or H2 conversions to PC. Even 343 had a limited role in converting CE to CEA, they outsourced most of the work for the update.

5. Halo Wars was Ensemble Studios baby, they just were in constant contact with Bungie for the lore and oversight to make it. It was never designed to be on the PC or in competition to
the PC strategy games. Microsoft wanted a Starcraft for Xbox... and that's what they got. The reason we don't have a Halo Wars 2, is MS closed or bought out... I forget.. Ensemble, and the
team split into 3 different companies.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline FlamingCobra

Basically:

Microsoft is all about profit.

And PC does not equal profit.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Microsoft is all about profit.
And PC does not equal profit.
microsoft
pc
not equal profit
microsoft
pc
profit

Best guess is that they'd get more people to buy the xbawks for Halo 3 than to buy Winders for Halo 3. Reasonable considering they already control most desktop OS market where the gaming console market is much more contestable.

Offline FlamingCobra

What I meant was, it would be more profitable to force people that wanted to play the game to buy an Xbawks.

What is a "winders"?

Topic title: A Halo Thread

DeepBlue? Did you steal FlamingCobra's account?

Anyway, on-topic: I played Halo 2 on PC, and I would have been fine with it if it didn't make the mouse horrifically unresponsive, even at the highest precision. That totally ruined it for me.

Which is too bad, because I liked Halo 1 PC, especially its multiplayer, which after Halo 2 came out was a lot more empty of trolls than normal.

* DarkHunter wonders if the Halo 1 multiplayer is still at all active.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline FlamingCobra

Topic title: A Halo Thread
<snip>

Dunno. I'm 99% sure that StarCraft I's multiplayer is no longer active, but if you have friends you can set up multiplayer via a virtual LAN over Hamachi.

I figure same goes for Halo 1. So....... you'd just have to set something up. Maybe find a Halo: CE pc community and join a chatroom.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
StarCraft's multiplayer is still active. Hell, Warcraft II: Battle.net Edition's multiplayer is still active!
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline FlamingCobra

StarCraft's multiplayer is still active. Hell, Warcraft II: Battle.net Edition's multiplayer is still active!

Oh. Well I just assumed that it would be shut down with the release of SCII. I stand corrected. :blah:

As recently as last year, there were a few active servers with enough players on during the daylight hours to constitute a good game.  In fact, a clan called BFM had a good set of Team Race servers that I spent quite a lot of time on.  The only real question mark about their servers is the decision to turn on infinite grenades and then prohibit "grenade spam," which seems a little counter-intuitive.  Still, they're well moderated servers, which keeps most of the idiots at bay.  Saturday evenings are obviously the best time to go looking for activity, but after-business-hours during the week aren't bad either.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
So... um... why did Microsoft/Bungie stop letting there be PC versions of Halo games? Especially Halo Wars, because everybody knows RTS' are always better on PC.
For Halo Wars, there's a simple reason. It was designed from the ground up to be a RTS on console. And it pretty much succeeded : it's basically the best (recent) RTS on console. Which isn't hard given the lack of competition (the few existing being ports of PC games, I think about LOTR).

Halo Wars just wouldn't work on PC. It was never made for that, and it wouldn't be up to the competition.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline FlamingCobra

For Halo Wars, there's a simple reason. It was designed from the ground up to be a RTS on console. And it pretty much succeeded : it's basically the best (recent) RTS on console. Which isn't hard given the lack of competition (the few existing being ports of PC games, I think about LOTR).

Halo Wars just wouldn't work on PC. It was never made for that, and it wouldn't be up to the competition.

Then why did they kill Halogen?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Because it was a competitor, not in term of console RTS, but in term of Halo-themed RTS. Both being the target markets of Halo Wars.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Halo CE on PC just had one of the more well known modding teams reassemble to do another campaign overhaul, so I'd imagine it's not in bad shape.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers

As recently as last year, there were a few active servers with enough players on during the daylight hours to constitute a good game.  In fact, a clan called BFM had a good set of Team Race servers that I spent quite a lot of time on.  The only real question mark about their servers is the decision to turn on infinite grenades and then prohibit "grenade spam," which seems a little counter-intuitive.  Still, they're well moderated servers, which keeps most of the idiots at bay.  Saturday evenings are obviously the best time to go looking for activity, but after-business-hours during the week aren't bad either.

i actually fired the old HALO 1 up for old time's sake about a month or so ago.  there's still people playing it.  there's about 3-5 active, full-time servers and a smattering of on and off ones and individual hosts.  the problem is that there isn't much in the way of gameplay left to choose from.  i only found one server that i could enjoy playing on, all the others had assanine rules and power tripping admins, game types i hate (ctf, race with aforementioned assanine rules), or mods, which i REALLY ****ing hate.  i enjoyed it for a few nights, but i think it's time to put it to bed for good now.  there's other stuff that i can play without having to deal with the lag or supreme ****wads found in HALO (i swear, i will NEVER understand why the scum of the earth seem to have all congregated in one ****ing video game)
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
Halo CE on PC just had one of the more well known modding teams reassemble to do another campaign overhaul, so I'd imagine it's not in bad shape.

Where to find?

There is a high-res Mod in the making for CE:

http://douggodfreydesign.com/TextureProjects/?page_id=72
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

Offline Davros

pc gamers, being the glorious master race that they are,

As one who follows the teachings of the Gaming Gods (and Guardian of the "Sacred TeraByte of Gaming Goodness")
I couldnt agree more - Remember

Improved version of reality with more truthiness...