Author Topic: What should the GTVA's strategy be?  (Read 166965 times)

Re: What should the GTVA's strategy be?
I'd of thought most of that room would be crew quaters since ships the size of a Karuna are supposed to house 3,000 people.

They aren't luxury liners, they're military vessels. If you're not an officer you're packed in like sardines.
Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

I'd of thought most of that room would be crew quaters since ships the size of a Karuna are supposed to house 3,000 people.
They're also over a kilometer long. For comparison, a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier is 330m long (about the size of a Karuna's rotator) and has a complement of just over 6,000.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
along with an airwing of 75 or so and all the ordinance and fuel to go along with it.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
An Orion has 10,000 people on board, and they could all fit inside a couple turrets IIRC.

Offline -Sara-

And Even then they still have..  :cool: plenty of FreeSpace!  :yes:

Or maybe people in that time don't sleep in beds but in small, claustrophobic capsules which induce REM sleep a dozen times more efficient than any Swedish mattrass on a king-sized bed could ever achieve. Can even stack those in a cargo bay once you sleep and in case of emergency shoot them through tubes so you wake up right at your station. :P But that's far-fetched even for me!

Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
No, seriously. How do all those people inside a Nimitz fit? Has the US Navy been secretly making TARDIS ships?
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline -Sara-

Uhm, half of them are on shift when the other half sleeps I imagine.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline crizza

Yeah, they're hotbunking.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
no, everyone has their own bunk and locker.  the officers even have staterooms.  carriers are just ****ing BIG.  which means FS ships are obscenely huge.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Yeah, they're hotbunking.

Only the submariners have to hotbunk in the USN these days, and even then it's not the full crew. (IIRC something like 30 or 40 percent of the crew on a Los Angeles has to, I'd have to look it up to be sure.)
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline crizza

Oh, you're right, my bad^^
And considering the size comparison pictures...30.000 people aboard the Colossus seems a little bit...undercrewed^^

Offline -Norbert-

Not, if you consider how much of the ship is made up of nothing but girders :P

Offline Drogoth

Not, if you consider how much of the ship is made up of nothing but girders :P

The true weapon behind the colossus was the flying debris of Girders upon destruction!
TC 2 Fan club for Life

Offline -Norbert-

And there I thought she was so big, to make the "baseball-bat manouver" more devastating.

Offline CT27

2- Let's be honest : although the Tevs should of course try to avoid unnecessarily losses, they are not, contrary to the UEF, on the verge of logistical collapse, and, like Simms or I don't remember who said, they "can bleed corvettes left and right". Steele has shown with Darkest Hour that he is ready and willing to sacrifice a few ships to achieve important goals. If he gets an opening to wipe a Solaris out, he'll take it.

You kind of already said this, but I was saying that the Solarises aren't the only important military target for the GTVA and that taking out smaller ships can be important too.

Offline qwadtep

Yeah, as far as warship assets are concerned, if I were a Tev commander, I'd probably prioritize a Narayana over a Solaris.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Solaris's might just be easier to catch, at this point.

Offline CT27

The ultimate goal of the GTVA is defending themselves against the next Shivan incursion. Had the UEF been committed to this objective in a comparable manner to the GTVA, a pacific solution might have been considered.

What do you mean by "a pacific solution"?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
If the UEF have had a militaristic policy similar to the GTVA, and had the Ubuntu ideology not been deemed a threat to the survival of humanity, the GTVA most likely would have started negotiations on a pacific reintegration of Sol into the GTVA, integration of the UEF's fleet into the GTVA navy, a share of Sol's industrial power, and negotiations on a solution to the economical crisis the GTVA is facing.

The Elders are negotiators. They'd have come to an arrangement.

As a bonus, civilians can go back and forth to their home system, families are reunited, the GTVA can go back to prepare for their unavoidable doom, and all is well.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grĂ¢ce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras