Author Topic: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch  (Read 1088 times)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch
... also known as Good Omens, which is being produced as a collaboration between Amazon and the BBC, as well as the production companies of Rhainna Prattchet and Neil Gaiman.

I know the release is still a week away but we already have a topic on the Picard-series and that's TBD. *shrug*

For those who don't known the book:
Good Omens, subtitle The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch was a collaboration between Neil Gaiman and the late Terry Prattchet, released in 1990. It's best described as quite british Fantasy-Comedy hybrid.

It's inciting incident is simple: The Apocalypse is nigh, and once the Antichrist reaches the age of eleven, he is fated to render judgement on humanity and decide the previously eternal conflict between Heaven and Hell.

Too bad then that the two agents of Good, the Angel Aziraphale, and Evil, the Demon Crowley, that were supposed to guide the Antichrists development not only lost track of their charge, but also secretly don't want the World to end.

Meanwhile, the Antichrist is growing up unaware of his destiny and his power in a rural small town in England.

Other characters involved are a new age witch who inherrited a giant stack of 100 percent accurate prophecies from her 17th century ancestor, the two finest (and only) members of the Witchfinder Army, the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, satanic nuns, angels, demons, and a lot of confused bystanders.

... and if you think the trailer spoiled too much, I can tell you that it didn't ...  :D

As for a sample of the humor you can expect - They let the Chattering Order of St. Beryl take care of this one:

I've been looking foward to this ever since it was first mentioned back in 2011. Even more so when the task of writing the series was taken up by Gaiman himself, and Terry Prattchet passed away in 2015.

One of things I am most excited to see is how the material was updated as the novel is very much rooted in the present of 1989/90 - some plot mechanics and jokes of the book just don't work unless it perpetually 1990.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
Re: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch
Loved the book. Excited for the show. Very much digging the casting. Should be fun.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch
I've been waiting for this for ages! A friend of mine decided we're going to watch it and drink every time we hear Queen on a car radio.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]