Author Topic: Forum game: Rules/Discussion  (Read 163776 times)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: Forum game: Rules/Discussion
Something else I'd also like, if it's possible and not too mch trouble, is for us to have a dedicated RP thread seperate from the strategy/chat. I have every confidence that this is going to be quite the saga, and that we're just getting started, and I think it would be good to split all the RP posts right now, for easy reading of what I'm sure will be an epic saga when all is said and done. The RP has exploded, and it is beautiful. It deserves it's own thread. What do others think about that?
I could make a seperate RP thread in a jiffy if you guys want it.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Lorric

Something else I'd also like, if it's possible and not too mch trouble, is for us to have a dedicated RP thread seperate from the strategy/chat. I have every confidence that this is going to be quite the saga, and that we're just getting started, and I think it would be good to split all the RP posts right now, for easy reading of what I'm sure will be an epic saga when all is said and done. The RP has exploded, and it is beautiful. It deserves it's own thread. What do others think about that?
I could make a seperate RP thread in a jiffy if you guys want it.

Oh, yes, yes, yes, please!

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Sure. The current system has worked well enough, but it would be handy to keep the strategy talk and any remaining rules questions for you in the discussion thread, and keep the RP in its own thread. Problem is, though, with a new RP thread, anyone new coming in and reading all the RP in order would have to read the RP already in the discussion thread, then start over in the RP thread. Maybe someone could make a compilation of the discussion-thread RP we've got so far, and you could link it in the first post of the RP thread, to catch any newcomers up?
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Lorric

Sure. The current system has worked well enough, but it would be handy to keep the strategy talk and any remaining rules questions for you in the discussion thread, and keep the RP in its own thread. Problem is, though, with a new RP thread, anyone new coming in and reading all the RP in order would have to read the RP already in the discussion thread, then start over in the RP thread. Maybe someone could make a compilation of the discussion-thread RP we've got so far, and you could link it in the first post of the RP thread, to catch any newcomers up?
I think Spoon can split them out, and that would be the new thread, with all the previous RP posts.

But if he can't, I could take care of it.

Offline Veers

He can do that, his board and it's apart of the moderator powers.

Some things they (being mods/admins) can do are pretty nifty at times.
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Lorric

I see what you did Spoon, and I thank you very much for it.

Spoon has worked his moderator magic to give us our very own RP-only thread!

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=85262.20

Look at all that. Just look at it! And we've only just started! As long as we don't all die quickly, we're going to have a book written in there when this is over!

Offline Lorric

I wish you well, Spoon.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I fell asleep typing the post up
Today for sure~
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Lorric

I fell asleep typing the post up
Today for sure~
Oh no, he's getting bored!  :shaking:

:lol:

Offline Flak

Nevermind, probably someone is going to make some custom campaigns based on this.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Okay, turn 3 is (finally!) up, be sure to let me know what kind of errors I may have made this time around  :p (There's actually quite a lot to keep track of)

Notice for the UGCR admirals, I've added one line to your Merc ability: 'Can only be used in friendly controlled systems.'

Notice for everyone, the deadline for giving/editing your orders is on each Friday. This so I can spread out processing the turn post over the weekend.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Notice for the UGCR admirals, I've added one line to your Merc ability: 'Can only be used in friendly controlled systems.'

Oh bother.  At least it simplifies my upcoming decisions :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

So 1st Nordera was able to resupply to 150%, which means that's their base value. We really have to kill these 1st fleets. See how badly 4th SF did against 1st Zy - and there are two ? fleets sitting in Kardoen: 40-something base strength Hertak incoming?
I think 2nd LSF has to go back and resupply. It might be good if one of the fleets in Tamy can come and support us in Hydra.
Here goes scripting and copy paste coding
Freespace RTS Mod
Checkpoint/Shipsaveload script

Offline Lorric

Right, a lot to get through here. With it established the 150% fleets do indeed have that as their base, it’s great the 1st Cordi is destroyed. I’ll break my early thoughts down piece by piece, post by post so people can respond to them that way instead of having to read through a huge wall of text. We’ll start with the top area:

The 4th SF was left all alone to face the might of the Zy. I hoped they wouldn’t get to attack, no such luck. The 4th SF could survive going another round with them, but anything else coming in would finish them off.

Let’s break down Aldebaran, right now it’s:

SF 1st Fleet:
Fighter attack strength: 17 (18+2)
Capital attack strength: 15 (18)
Fighters at 83% Strength
Capital ships at 86% Strength

CRF 2nd Fleet:
Fighter attack strength: 16 (16+2+1)
Capital attack strength: 16 (17+1)
Fighters at 84% Strength
Capital ships at 91% Strength

UGCR 1st Fleet:
Fighter attack strength: 11 (13+2)
Capital attack strength: 8 (15)
Fighters at 67% Strength
Capital ships at 55% Strength

vs.

2nd Cordi Fleet:
Fighter attack strength: 8 (20)
Capital attack strength: 5 (12)
Fighters at 40% Strength
Capital ships at 43% Strength

3rd Cordi Fleet:
Fighter attack strength: 16 (20)
Capital attack strength: 10 (12)
Fighters at 80% Strength
Capital ships at 81% Strength

2nd Zy Fleet:
Fighter attack strength: 20 (21+1)
Capital attack strength: 19 (20+1)
Fighters at 90% Strength

Here’s my plan: The 2nd SF in Virgo is still too weak. It needs to do a double resupply. I would pull the 1st UGCR out and perform a resupply.

Have the 4th SF pull back to Librae and resupply.

Have the 2nd UGCR travel to Tauri to take the next hit from the Zy.

If I use zeal and attack the 2nd Cordi and the 1st SF attacks the 2nd Cordi, we can destroy them with minimal damage in return:

SF 1st Fleet:
Fighter attack strength: 17+8=25 (18+2)
Capital attack strength: 15+9=24 (18)
Fighters at 83% Strength

CRF 2nd Fleet: (with zeal)
Fighter attack strength: 17+9=26 (16+2+2)
Capital attack strength: 17+9=26 (17+2)
Fighters at 84% Strength

vs

2nd Cordi Fleet:
Fighter attack strength: 8+3=11 (20)
Capital attack strength: 5+4 =9 (12)
Fighters at 40% Strength
Capital ships at 43% Strength (24+26=50, elimination)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 06:45:10 pm by Lorric »

Offline Lorric

This is the next problem:
The 4th Cordi Fleet lost its will to continue fighting and is offering to surrender.
The 4th Cordi had nowhere to run. They’ve been boxed in and are at our mercy. What do we do with them? There is no info on how to handle this sort of thing in game. Me, I would order them to power down their ships and throw down their weapons. Get them shipped away from the front line to a planet in a rear system where they can be held. I very much doubt this is a double cross. The Cordi aren’t fanatics, and their numbers are very low, what damage could they do?

4th Cordi Fleet:
Fighter attack strength: 3 (20)
Capital attack strength: 2 (12)
Fighters at 16% Strength
Capital ships at 14% Strength

That pitiful little band should be no problem to deal with. Get them out of the way, so we can decide what to do with the three fleets in Draco. I Recommend have someone in Draco accept the surrender and see what happens. Not the bug-fearing Admiral Soryu Of the 3rd SF. :)

Story-wise, I think the surrender is correct also. We want to encourage others to surrender, rather than fight to the death. Ideally, we want to win the Cordi over to our side. So please don’t harm them.

Offline Lorric

And finally the bottom section.

Do not be concerned about the 1st Nordera fleet. It’s still weak, even for a 150% strength fleet. Of greater concern is the mass of forces at Kardoen. The 3rd Nordera should be at full strength, and I predict the Fura’ngle and Hertak are in attendance. It doesn’t take a genius to figure out there’s only one race left (unless Spoon has another up his sleeve) but, this cements it for me:

1st ? Fleet, Morale from Very Low to Normal

I think the Fura’ngle just got a little “pep talk” from their masters, the Hertak. If the 150% 1st fleet convention is also in place, this means great trouble. Every fleet in Kardoen can attack, and I predict they will do so.

Here’s my plan:

Send the 1st LSF to Aldebaran.

Pull the 2nd LSF out of Hydra and have it resupply.

Send the 4th CRF to Hydra.

Send the 3rd DD to Vega.

Have all 3 fleets in Draco Resupply and Defend.

Have the 2nd DD and 3rd CRF attack and destroy the 2nd Nordera.

Battle calculation:

2nd LSF Fleet:
Fighter attack strength: 21+7=28 (19+2+1)
Capital attack strength: 14+11=25 (14+1)
Fighters at 85% Strength

2nd DD Fleet:
Fighter attack strength: 15+8=23 (18)
Capital attack strength: 15+8=23 (17)
Fighters at 82% Strength
Capital ships at 84% Strength

vs.

2nd Nordera Fleet:
Fighter attack strength: 5+3=8 (10+2)
Capital attack strength: 5+3=8 (8+2)
Fighters at 34% Strength
Capital ships at 38% Strength (23+25=48 = elimination)

Like the 2nd Cordi, destruction is assured with minimal damage.

Offline Veers

To the Admirals of the 1st DD and 3rd SF,

Well done, how do you guys feel about trying to take the surrender of the 4th Cordi?, I'm going to assume it will require an action from one of our fleets to take them into custody. (Spoon?, yay or nay?)

If we do so, we will have to do so quickly. I'm very happy for the CRF to do that while you guys prepare/retreat/do whatever you wish to plan. I have zeal, so if I had to use an order to capture, I would and want to use Zeal this turn as well. But we must expect enemy reinforcements of at least 2 fleets coming from Kardoen. ( I suspect one of those 1st Fleets belongs to the Fura'ngle )

Perhaps the 1st DD can take the capture operation, while the CRF and 3rd SF hold the line against any intrusion. We don't quite know how it may unfold, perhaps the fleet needs to retreat to a friendly system with them to unload them into custody or etc.

----

We still need to see the reinforcement fleets move to a sector, I'd still prefer to have the 3rd DD & 4th CRF move to the northern sector, as we already have 2 CRF fleets south, and same with the other 2 DD fleets, we should spread the last one out for experience while they remain the weakest force overall (for the moment)

Perhaps the 1st LSF can remain to reinforce Draco instead.

------

Edit:

Only problem is, we cannot resupply and defend Draco. It is still occupied by the 4th Cordi, and we cannot capture them, secure the system, resupply and defend before reinforcements arrive from Kardoen, as we must assume they will attack next turn. And do do all of those actions will require at least 2 turns. 1 to capture/secure now, and 2 to resupply and defend, as the state of the system will not change until the new turn.

So I'm now looking at, depending on how it works. the 1st DD capturing the Cordi and the 1st LSF moving to Vega, DD will probably need to pull out and LSF can jump into Draco to continue the fight if we decide to continue fighting here. Otherwise Hold and defend Vega.

CRF and SF will retreat.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 07:43:56 pm by Veers »

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
As a player, I'm all for accepting the Cordi's surrender. My character, however, will not be pleased. :P
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Lorric

Ah, yes, you should definitely use your Zeal, Veers. I'd recommend Zeal and Resupply.

I'm not too fussed about where the reinforcement fleets go, but one of them should definitely go to Hydra. But the DD Fleets are weak, so I think it's better the 4th CRF goes to Hydra rather than have two in Hydra. So the 3rd DD to Vega and the 1st LSF to Aldebaran.

Speaking of the 1st LSF, check it out:

1st LSF Fleet
Fighter attack strength: 25 (19+5+1)
Capital attack strength: 15 (14+1)
Fighters at 96% Strength, 4th Gen
Capital ships at 100% Strength
Morale: High

4th Gen fighters. +5 to fighters!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 07:52:39 pm by Lorric »

Offline Veers

Not much point asking the DD to go to Vega as it is weaker, it places all the DD fleets in the southern sector, which is not overly helpful in terms of balancing power between our sectors and against hostile fleets. That's why I think it should move North.

Resupply only happens in a friendly system, and unless we retreat. No resupplies happening in Draco this turn I'm afraid, and assuming we are attacked within the next 3 turns. Not happening at all.

So my current plans are:

Action 1: Use Special - Zeal
Action 2: ? (Not in friendly system so Resupply & Defend not options)

As a player, I'm all for accepting the Cordi's surrender. My character, however, will not be pleased. :P

That's why your fleet should not capture them. I don't want to see how bugspray affects them just yet :P

---

The CRF provides a high morale boost, and is beneficial to have two in the northern sector (I think), with two in the southern sector. I'm talking more overall placement rather than what is going to be practical, but if those fleets move north, LSF waits in Vega incase we get nuked by whatever is in Kardoen, you still have the 2nd SF and 2nd UGCR north as well.

Problem being you need reinforcements into Tauri, and movement wise, it is the furthest away from any fleets other than Aldebaren
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 08:09:50 pm by Veers »

WoD - I like Crystal. <3