Author Topic: look_at  (Read 3348 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I asked about this in IRC last night, but nobody was around who could answer.

Last year,  VA mentioned that he had accidentally broken look_at for submodels (http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=84897.msg1713468#msg1713468). Since then, it apparently hasn't been fixed, as it still doesn't work in the latest nightly. Any chance we could get it back? It's super cool, and I have ships that I can't release because, at present, they just don't work.

Any movement in this would be greatly appreciated.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Most of the coding I do is in Excel VBA (for work), but I've been getting better at reading and interpreting FSO code, and I think I may have a good theory on a fix.

In modelread.cpp, line 1264, part of an if statement, checks to see if the modder has specified a sub-object as one of a series of possible subobjects types for the purpose of rotation.  It does not include "$look_at:" in the list.  Look_at animations are never enabled.  (pm->submodel[n].can_move = true; is the statement I'm looking for)  Though, it could be a type that doesn't need to be enabled. 

My skill is limited, but it looks like coder oversight since look_at is such a special case model animation, and the coder probably didn't know about it.

Though, if it were added to the list, it would need to be tested in case there are other things wrong with the animation type due to further revision differences.  And enabling it could have effects on other things.  *mumbles to self* I totally need to learn how to make a custom build. *ends mumbling*

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Is this in Mantis?  Cause this should be in Mantis.

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Most of the coding I do is in Excel VBA (for work), but I've been getting better at reading and interpreting FSO code, and I think I may have a good theory on a fix.

In modelread.cpp, line 1264, part of an if statement, checks to see if the modder has specified a sub-object as one of a series of possible subobjects types for the purpose of rotation.  It does not include "$look_at:" in the list.  Look_at animations are never enabled.  (pm->submodel[n].can_move = true; is the statement I'm looking for)  Though, it could be a type that doesn't need to be enabled.

Yeah, that part is definitely wrong; $look_at submodels should get their can_move set to true. I'm not sure if it really affects anything in this exact case, but the purpose of can_move is to signal whether the submodel can ever change position or orientation so it should get set here.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Is this in Mantis?  Cause this should be in Mantis.

Ditto.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
thats an oldie but a goodie. bring it back.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions