Author Topic: Two more stupid questions...  (Read 903 times)

Offline Scuddie

• gb2/b/
  • I will never leave.
Two more stupid questions...
:rolleyes: OK, I'm sure you're all getting tired of me, but please bear with me.

First off, I just downloaded Homesick.  I wish I could say good things about it, but I cannot because I havent been able to play it properly.  You see, when I click on the ready room, it freezes.  I had to do it about 5 times, with a couple new pilots before I realized it took about 2 minutes to just initialize the mission.  I saw the intro.  It was quite funny.  Not as funny as Deus Ex Machina mission 3, but funny nonetheless :D.  When I clicked on commit, I saw a brief glimpse of a setting, then the system did a hard reboot.

None of this happened in 1.2 Freespace, but then again, all that existed were ulysses, and no weapons (broken .TBLs).  So it was kind of unplayable either way :blah:.

Secondly, it is apparently known how OpenGL doesnt work properly in FS2Open.  -jpgtga doesnt work, -32bit doesnt work, -spec doesnt work.  No AA, no AF, no nothing.  Boy are we wrong.  I ran a game of FS2 open in OpenGL window mode to try and see if I could get past the homesick freezing/rebooting problem.  It worked, and while I was looking at everything, I was astounded.  It was the most beautiful version of Freespace I had ever seen.  Specular highlighting was very influenced by the surrounding light sources, which was more than I can say for D3D.  env and alpha env lighting weren't 100% reflective like it is for D3D.  Anti-Aliasing and Anistropic Filtering gave a very sharp, yet very smooth appearance to all the elements, which is not the case for D3D.  Much smaller memory used, and framerates are through the roof!  I would post a couple shots comparing OpenGL fullscreen and windowed, but I dont have the means :(.  Anyway, is this scenario known by people besides me?  I think it's an indication that this might need to be investigated.  I think making OpenGL more stable should take priority, however.
Bunny stole my signature :(.

Sorry boobies.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
1) This is caused by the high-poly Fenris model in mv_models_a.vp...buh, do a search for more info.

Anyway to fix it just delete or move mv_models, or extract the old Fenris/leviathon model from root_fs2.vp.
-C

Offline Scuddie

• gb2/b/
  • I will never leave.
No, the fenris isnt even in that mission.  And plus, I know that the fenris model makes the loading time long after the first bar and two dots, and it usually lasts for 40 seconds on my system.  This temporary hang lasted for nearly two minutes, and it was before the loading screen even started.  So far, half the missions on this campaign are like that.  If it's from the flight deck, I see the frozen flight deck ANIs for two minutes.  If it's from debriefing, I see debriefing for two minutes.  Perhaps it was created from a dodgy version of FRED2?  Try it out.  07202004 build.
Bunny stole my signature :(.

Sorry boobies.

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Originally posted by Scuddie
No, the fenris isnt even in that mission.  And plus, I know that the fenris model makes the loading time long after the first bar and two dots, and it usually lasts for 40 seconds on my system.  This temporary hang lasted for nearly two minutes, and it was before the loading screen even started.  So far, half the missions on this campaign are like that.  If it's from the flight deck, I see the frozen flight deck ANIs for two minutes.  If it's from debriefing, I see debriefing for two minutes.  Perhaps it was created from a dodgy version of FRED2?  Try it out.  07202004 build.

I get this problem too...just thought it was something to do with the load times and hte hi-poly models.........does it have to do with that? upon removing hte models, its still that long.
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(