Author Topic: Species_defs.tbl & asteroid.tbl questions  (Read 905 times)

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Species_defs.tbl & asteroid.tbl questions
Hi while playing and tweaking WCSaga I've finally learned how to change the bad guys species name from Shivan to Kilrathi.

But I've got some questions:

• Is $NumSpecies required in Species_defs.tbl? In Wiki, this command doesn't appear.
  • In Asteroid.tbl, the ship debris names are checked against the species names. As an example: the default 'Shivan Debris 1' is not a valid name anymore. I've had to change Shivan to Kilrathi. Is this intentional? or is it some kind of bug?.
    (I mean, why can't you use the name you want? As it is said in Wiki you have to code 3 asteroids for each species AND in the order they appear in species_defs.tbl. So you don't need the name to link to the species.

Thanks in advance.
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Re: Species_defs.tbl & asteroid.tbl questions
$NumSpecies: is no longer required. So it was dropped from the wiki example to avoid confusion. Possible errors in wiki entries (like the asteroid entry) are probably there just because of my stupidity...
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Species_defs.tbl & asteroid.tbl questions
You might want to have a Deprecated Entries bit at the bottom of the wiki page explaining away the tags that the parser won't choke on but which no longer do anything. 
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]